Do I need a tax id to start aff marketing ?

ABW Ambassador
    No
    You need it to get paid.
    You can wait until you start making sales.

If I remember correctly, most if not all of the U.S. networks that I belong to require either a Social Security number or Tax ID to complete your application to the network.

In my opinion an EIN (Tax ID) is preferable to a SS#. Call me paranoid but the fewer places that have my SS# the better I feel. And as AffiliateHound pointed out to you in another thread, it's a pretty simple form that you can dowload or complete online in a couple of minutes.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Quote Originally Posted by the limit is past the sky
    Yes, it's best to use an EIN.

I was able to use SSN until I needed to open a business checking account. Make sure you keep a copy of the online output as the bank won't just take the number for an account opening.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Good points. Besides an SSN or EIN you need to make sure company name agrees with your checking account. Each year new affiliates sign-up to our in-house programs and when we send the first check they find out they can't cash it. This is because they signed up under bobbysmarketing.com and that is how the check was written. Then Robert Smith tries to cash it in their personal account and the bank refuses it.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick
    Good points. Besides an SSN or EIN you need to make sure company name agrees with your checking account. Each year new affiliates sign-up to our in-house programs and when we send the first check they find out they can't cash it. This is because they signed up under bobbysmarketing.com and that is how the check was written. Then Robert Smith tries to cash it in their personal account and the bank refuses it.
    Most networks have a "Make Checks Payable to:" that needs to be filled in before they can get a check. But good point that that field needs to be looked at by the affiliate to make sure the correct name is in there.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by the limit is past the sky View Post
    Yes, its the best move you can do to save yourself from any issues in the future.

a sure thing "death and taxes"
    If making money online and the company requests your ssn or tax id, Please give them a tax id. If your business grows it will cause a little grief without it. Yes you can get a bank account with ssn but your business identity and individual identity should be separate for various reasons. Additionally, having a tax id with out being an llc, c corp or s corp does not give you all the rights and privileges of tax write offs, you may want to look into being incorporate in your state, Nevada, Florida or Delaware. Most reputable businesses with affiliate programs will report their earning to the IRS and will want you to receive a 1099 at end of year. They will want you to provide a ssn or tax id so they can report to the irs. So for the long run it's better to be incorporate with a tax id so you can write off any and all expenses associated with running your business.
    Last edited by flygirlmarketing; December 3rd, 2010 at 12:18 AM.

If you wish to operate under a fictitious name then you would need to get a tax id number. If you wish to operate under your own name then you can just use your SSN.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris D View Post
    If you wish to operate under a fictitious name then you would need to get a tax id number. If you wish to operate under your own name then you can just use your SSN.
    I have 3 fictitious names (dba) filed with the state. I've never had to get a tax ID number, but just use my SSN.
    Generate more fake news.

http and a telephoto
    Writerguy is correct, a dba doesn't require a separate tax number.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Hi someone say that we can wait to get tax ID until we start earning? What if it take long time until we earn money? Can we include all the expenses spent from the start of the site even if we file business liscence late?

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Peoney View Post
    Hi someone say that we can wait to get tax ID until we start earning? What if it take long time until we earn money? Can we include all the expenses spent from the start of the site even if we file business liscence late?
    Do not confuse a business license with a tax ID (EIN) or the obligation to file a tax return.

A business license is a permit issued by your local government - the city in which you reside, unless you are in an unincorporated area, then it would be the county.

An EIN is issued by the IRS (Federal) and it is primarily used for identifying employee and non-employee income, both paid either to employees or independent contractors, or received by employees or independent contractors.

If you operate a business, and prepare a Schedule C for your 1040 return, you can deduct all legal costs of business, regardless of whether or not you earn a profit, and irregardless of whether or not you have an EIN or a business license.

Note - I am not an accountant and this is not to be considered tax advice, only general knowledge accumulated over decades of experience.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

You can use an EIN or an SSN, but if you plan on making lots of money, it would be in your interest to register an LLC and then switch it over to the EIN. But right off the bat you can use your SSN for networks, payments, all that jazz.

You can do an assumed name with your ein. Just do a quick visit to your county clerk. This way you're still taxed as an individual... If you're just publishing you don't really need to be an LLC. What liability do you have? Why pay corporate tax rates?

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread