Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    ABW Ambassador writerguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    3,248
    Spammy blog registration email addresses?
    Hey, anybody out there with more blogging expertise who can tell me whether there's such a thing as "blog registration spam," and if so how it works against my blog? (I wrote a post about this earlier today on the blog in question.)

    I have no registration requirement at my blog for people to be able to leave comments and to read any and all posts/pages/comments on the site. So I've never really understood why people even register -- and I don't think of the 550-600 people registered there's a single one who's left more than an email address.

    But the odd, seemingly randomly generated Gmail email addresses people keep registering with has me wondering what's going on.

    Also, there are a ton of email addresses obviously linked to the usual V**gr*, pharm*cutic*l, and s*x crap web scams/spams.

    But my question I guess would be: WHY? And what risks do I run by having all these goofy, spamming looking users registered to my blog?

    Anybody experience this stuff and have any insight into what these people are trying to do -- so I can prevent it?? (Note: I have the blog set up so that no comments get published automatically. They all require my approval or denial or whatever.)

    Thanks.
    Generate more fake news.

  2. #2
    Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 7th, 2007
    Location
    Cuautitlán, Edo. de México
    Posts
    1,725
    I think they register since many blogs require registration for comments. No, you can't stop it unless you disable registration, however you could add a captcha to reduce it a little.

  3. #3
    Comfortably Numb John Powell's Avatar
    Join Date
    October 17th, 2005
    Location
    Bayou Country, LA
    Posts
    3,432
    Do you need that registration? It's way down at the bottom and doesn't seem to offer a reason to sign up. How about just removing it.


  4. #4
    Believe knight01's Avatar
    Join Date
    August 14th, 2006
    Location
    Dayton, Ohio
    Posts
    1,815
    I thought that it might have to do with profile spamming. As we see at ABW from time to time, people will join just to put a url in their profile knowing that the profile is publicly viewable and could get indexed. But when I registered at your blog, I couldn't find any way to publicly view user profiles. Perhaps, there is something that the bots do to find them that we can't.

    Regardless, I'd remove any account that doesn't get email verified within a few days.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

  5. #5
    ABW Ambassador writerguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    3,248
    Quote Originally Posted by John Powell
    Do you need that registration? It's way down at the bottom and doesn't seem to offer a reason to sign up. How about just removing it.
    I think I'll probably remove that link in the footer. My main reason for it was for my use. When I'm logged in to administer the blog, it shows a "Site Admin" link that's easier for me to use than working back and forth with /wp-admin links in the address bar.
    Generate more fake news.

  6. #6
    ABW Ambassador writerguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    January 17th, 2005
    Location
    Springfield, Missouri, USA
    Posts
    3,248
    Quote Originally Posted by knight01
    I thought that it might have to do with profile spamming. As we see at ABW from time to time, people will join just to put a url in their profile knowing that the profile is publicly viewable and could get indexed. But when I registered at your blog, I couldn't find any way to publicly view user profiles. Perhaps, there is something that the bots do to find them that we can't.

    Regardless, I'd remove any account that doesn't get email verified within a few days.
    Thanks for checking that out.

    Uh, "email verified" -- I don't have any system for people to register then have their email addresses verified. That's one more of the puzzling things I can't figure out about why people actually register.

    (PRACTICAL NOTE: For any of you who have registered or will register at my blog, I'm planning on putting up a sign-up form so that you'll actually fill in your email to register for a sort-of-monthly newsletter I'm going to start to sort of update and alert regular visitors of what's going on.)
    Generate more fake news.

  7. #7
    Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Join Date
    September 7th, 2007
    Location
    Cuautitlán, Edo. de México
    Posts
    1,725
    Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    I think I'll probably remove that link in the footer. My main reason for it was for my use. When I'm logged in to administer the blog, it shows a "Site Admin" link that's easier for me to use than working back and forth with /wp-admin links in the address bar.
    If the scripts/spammers just try to go to the page without looking for the link, you'll still get registrations. If you don't want registrations you need to disable them in the admin settings or rename the registration file on the server.

  8. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread

Similar Threads

  1. Bad affiliate email addresses?
    By waynewalter in forum ShareASale - SAS
    Replies: 21
    Last Post: May 16th, 2007, 01:07 PM
  2. One Million Email Addresses
    By foo in forum Building Traffic, Newsletters & Advertising
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: August 16th, 2003, 10:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •