Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Why You Must Constantly Check Merchant Sites
    Just discovered a new one: a merchant became an "authorized dealer" for several brands and can no longer sell their items online. Items are still on site with buy button removed and instructions to call merchant or go to B&M store. Of course, they don't notify the affs. Have to go through and remove the stinkin' links. Oiy!!!
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    That's horrible, but as there are likely many more unknowing affiliates, you should name the merchant.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    That's horrible, but as there are likely many more unknowing affiliates, you should name the merchant.
    Absolutely, there is no reason to protect this merchant. You should also report them to the network.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

WOW, hAD NO IDEA

That sucks.

In a reverse situation, I called the 888# listed on a merchant site and was directed to a huge call center where I was told they had never heard of the company before.

If they list a toll free number that leads to a call center that has never heard of them before, can I really have confidence in their online ordering process? No. No longer promoting them.

Just another story to encourage affiliates to keep an eye on the merchants they promote.
    [URL=http://www.investeverymonth.com]InvestEveryMonth.com[/URL] - Build Wealth

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Why post this if you aren't going to tell us which merchant pulled their products?

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rematt
    Absolutely, there is no reason to protect this merchant. You should also report them to the network.

-rematt
    I concur.

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

Yes, I already reported them to the network as these items were still in the datafeed.

Merchant: Paradise Pens, Network: Avantlink.
    Renée

ouch, wasn't aware of that. Am sure Gary and the gang weren't either and will look into them now. Thanks JoyUnltd for lettin us know.

Thanks for sharing this information. I've terminated my affiliation with ParadisePen today, so that their non-commissionable products won't be included in any of my sites.

Thanks for the heads up Renée.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

It's unfortunate that affiliates are often seen to be at the bottom of the barrel for merchants. When they stop promoting products, the merchants often don't care to update the affiliates.

Affiliate Manager
    Hello:

I'm the account manager for Paradise Pen.

First, please let me say that it was not our intent to mislead any of our affiliate partners. The ads in question were posted by my predecessor here. Since that time, we are no longer permitted to sell these vendors' products on our website. There were 3 active ads, promoting these products. I have since ended the campaigns containing these ads. I take responsibility for these ads and apologize for any problems they may have caused you.

I would welcome and encourage any of you who would like to discuss this further to contact me through a private message or through Avantlink.

Thank You...

Hello,
    It's more than ads: there are pens in the datafeed that aren't commissionable as well as pens from brands that you no longer carry.

This is Montblanc, Cartier and there's a 3rd brand that you're an authorized dealer for? These are major pen brands! Also, Apex is still in the datafeed and you no longer carry their pens.
    Last edited by JoyUnltd; May 11th, 2009 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Add info
    Renée

Paradisepen wrote: > "There were 3 active ads, promoting these products." <

JoyUnltd replied: > "there are pens in the datafeed that aren't commissionable as well as pens from brands that you no longer carry." <

As an affiliate manager (even if it's a part-time duty dumped on you without any preparation), you need to do some homework to fully understand how your affiliate program works. As Renee (JoyUnltd) notes, your datafeed contained items that were not actually available from your web site (not because they are out-of-stock, but because you've entered into a contract with a third party in which you've agreed not to sell the products online); this is inappropriate.

Talk to AvantLink and ask them for some advice on how to fix this.

Affiliate Manager
    Renee, I'll definitely follow-up with this information and have the products removed from the datafeed. Thanks

FYI, The Apex pens were just recalled last week because of a defect. They will also be removed from the datafeed asap. Thanks

To our current affiliate partners, please know that we will correct this as soon as possible. As always, we welcome any direct communication if you have any questions.

Thanks.

This is going to be a hard call for me, to promote luxury pens and not have the Montblanc and Cartier lines. I will have to find a creative way around this issue, if possible.

As far as intent goes, I'm sorry to say, the jury is out on this one. To have major lines no longer commissionable and to "forget" that you have affiliates promoting these products...that's a stretch.
    Renée

Thats unfortunate, most people are good at letting their affiliates know of changes

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by paradisepen
    Renee, I'll definitely follow-up with this information and have the products removed from the datafeed. Thanks

FYI, The Apex pens were just recalled last week because of a defect. They will also be removed from the datafeed asap. Thanks

To our current affiliate partners, please know that we will correct this as soon as possible. As always, we welcome any direct communication if you have any questions.

Thanks.
    You need to send an email out to all your affiliates about this non-commissionable/recalled brands changes, if you haven't done so.

Not all of your affiliates are paticipating ABW forum.

15 years and counting
    I don't know about the other brands but I had a problem with MontBlanc last year. They had an ad for MontBlanc in the AvantLink interface leading to a page with no buy button, just a number to call. I noticed it way too late after sending traffic. It turned me off and I've not been promoting them since. I should have said something at that time.

Quote Originally Posted by paradisepen
    I'll definitely follow-up with this information and have the products removed from the datafeed.
    I have so many feeds where action is promised and pending. I'm hoping this one will be different, and will give it some time to see.

The more feeds I do the more in awe I am with markwelch and the project he has undertaken. There are so many exceptions and aberrations. Just when I think you can set a cron and go autopilot they update the feed in a way to break my setup.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeus
    I don't know about the other brands but I had a problem with MontBlanc last year. They had an ad for MontBlanc in the AvantLink interface leading to a page with no buy button, just a number to call. I noticed it way too late after sending traffic. It turned me off and I've not been promoting them since. I should have said something at that time.
    Last year?!?!?! Paradise Pens did this last year and informed NO ONE?

OK, AvantLink has to know about this. While they don't allow toolbars/parasites, they should add something in their policy about merchants who decommission products but still display ads and include those products in datafeeds.
    Renée

Affiliate Manager
    Hello affiliates:
    I want to give all of you an update on where things stand with our Avantlink feed.

We have modified our feed to exclude items that are not available to be purchased on the Paradise Pen website (i.e; Montblanc, Cartier ). Avantlink admin staff are currently reviewing the feed and if they find no problems with its structure, it should be uploaded sometime between Midnight and 3AM Mountain Standard Time.

I will post again to confirm when the new feed is available.

I appreciate your patience and understanding and the opportunity to correct this error.

Affiliate Manager
    Hello again:

Just a quick update on our data feed. We have successfully updated our feed so that all the non-commissable products, or products we are not able to sell on our website, no longer appear in the feed. If you are an affiliate of Paradise Pen and you find that our data feed shows otherwise, please contact me at once.

Thank You..

First, I'm glad that you acknowledged the issue and are updating your ShareASale feed.

However, I'm afraid that removing the non-commissionable products from your datafeed does not resolve the issue.

If I send a customer to your web site using any link (including a link to another product which is commissionable), the customer is going to navigate through your site and is extremely likely to navigate to view a wide range of comparable products, including the pens with the two most recognizable and respected brand names in the industry. The customers are quite likely to consider purchasing some of your non-commissionable items (and since these can't be ordered online, they might go offline to purchase all the items they want, including items that would otherwise be commissionable).

I don't send traffic to merchants who don't pay me commissions on all the products that they promote online. I'm certainly not going to send traffic to a merchant who doesn't pay commissions on the two most recognized brands that they offer!

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast