Help
    Hi all, I have a few questions regarding the traffic we are getting.

My offer is on a couple of networks, on one network I get about 20 25 orders a day. The other I get maybe 5 or 6 per day.
    As for the quality, the traffic from the first network sucks! All the orders came back lost/stole CC's. I cannot find my site on any of the search engines without typing the exact phrase.
    This worries me, we have to deal with charge backs, our merchant account will be shut down, which I have to avoid at all cost.
    I have told my account manager that I want to stop all traffic until we figure out what happened. She told me that the affiliates promoting the offer are good ones and she was VERY surprised this was happening.
    She has promised to look into it and hasn't gotten back to me. I have emailed her and called her last week, I couldn't get a hold of her. I am frustrated.
    I asked to see where my product is being advertised and she respectully tells me that she cannot reveal the aff. sites. This is a little questionable, since this case is a bit serious due to fraudulent leads.
    My questions are,
    1- Can I ask for specific affiliates to run my campaigns?
    2- Can I request to see the sites my offer is going to be on?
    3- How do I prevent fraudulent affiliates picking up my campaign? I thought this was my account managers job to be very careful regarding this.
    4- How do I confirm that the affiliates on my offer are legit?
    5- How do I ask and make sure that I get the type of affiliate I am looking for?
    Thank you

Sounds like your "Affiliate Manager" is a network Rep giving you more BS than the affs - If so .... RUN - protect your brand, your merchant account and your long term viability.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Haiko,
    That sucks!
    Are the account managers supposed to reveal the traffic source if I request it or is it legitimately an industry secret?

Artin

umm took a quick read and will be a quick answer on this. Think you may be the merchant??
    If so, answer really is to have yourself a good affiliate manager cos that is what they do. Not sure which network you're at either but networks are not who should be determining which affiliates you have in your program.

A good affiliate manager knows who the good affiliates are and will recruit them into your program. They do the recruiting not the networks. They screen those who join your program and it's their job to make sure the bad guy affiliates don't get into your program in the first place and after affiliates join they monitor them to be sure they're not up to doing anything shady or bad. They're responsible for a lotta things but won't expand on all that here. lol

You have every reason to be frustrated if your contact at the network isn't getting back to you in a timely manner. Again, these are things a good affiliate manager does so that you wouldn't be dealing with that person.

In your #3,4 & 5 - am assuming you're referring to the account manager at the network?? Hate to keep repeating myself, but all of these items you mention are what a good affiliate manager does (not an account manager at a network) A good affiliate manager would be the person who does these things for a program and a lot more.

umm, if you can't find your site in search engines....that's a problem cos you should be able to. Affiliate managers also are responsible for this, too. Umm, I know some are, not sure if responsibility of all or not.

You really should look into hiring yourself a good affiliate manager. Good luck with your program.

Sorry, can't go into more detail or help ya anymore but in a bit of a hurry. Am sure others will comment.

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    Are the account managers supposed to reveal the traffic source if I request it or is it legitimately an industry secret?
    If you are on a good network you will know who your partners are how they are marketing you. Your networrk should provide you with at the very least domain level referral data for the traffic your partners send so that you can be sure they are adding value to your marketing and not simply ripping off your brand, or worse.

Feel free to drop me an email (chris/at/amwso.net)

Cheers

Chris
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

Zipdrive I have to agree with all of the responses so far. You need to take more control of your program either yourself or preferably through an experienced AM or OPM.

You didn't mention which network you're on, but my experience with the networks that I work with (as an affiliate) is that merchants have the option of reviewing sites prior to approving them for their program. If you are auto-approving affiliates or letting the network perform this task for you, then that may be a major part of your problem.

Also, don't assume that your "account manager" has your best interests at heart. In most case "account manager" is analogous to "sales person". Their job is primarily to drive more revenues to their company, not necessarily act in your best interests. It's a win-win when both of these occur, however when only one occurs, you better believe it's their company that wins.

Contact your "account manager" again to outline your expectations. If you don't receive a response in a reasonable amount of time (to me 24 hours is more than reasonable for a service that I'm paying for) then contact her manager. If they are unable or unwilling to accommodate your expectations or at least to provide reasonable alternatives or explanations then it's probably time to drop them as a network. Assuming that you are getting the type of cooperation that you need from your second network it may be a good time to firm up that relationship and see if they can help you find ways to grow your program there.

I'd also recommend working with a single network, at least until you get a handle on your traffic and affiliates. Whatever you do, get more involved in your programs and find a good AM or OPM to help advise you. They have experience in working with all of the networks and can help set your expectations and since they work for you, not a network you can be assured that they will have your best interests in mind.

-rematt
    Last edited by rematt; May 11th, 2009 at 10:30 AM.
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Purplebear
    Thank you for that response being in a hurry and all I appreciate this! I like the Idea of possibly hiring an AM. Do I not to have my own affiliate network. I would have to research that option. Maybe at Aff. Summit in NY.
    Sounds to me like I also need to screen AM's. Thank you.

Chris,
    You are very right regarding the URL. They should reveal that to me, I tried to get some feedback without pissing off anyone at the net work, she kinda hinted not to ask because she wont reveal it. Well she said in these words "I cant tell you that is confidential". Being a new campaign I want to keep everyone happy so that the effort is put into the program converts well!. Unhappy people under perform in any business. I am in a bind. I didn't want to mention the Network, I don't like to put businesses down, I believe in what goes around comes around...
    I will contact you via pm or email.
    Thank you

Rematt,
    You are very right, I thought of by passing her and going directly to her manager. The only problem is that I feel like it might upset them and work to my disadvantage.
    How would I approach this to keep all happy. I am sure she will not like this. If I firm up and tell them that I must approve all affiliates running this campaign then they must allow this right? Also, what are some things I should look for in an affiliate? How would you recommend I base my screening process?
    Thanks,

Thank you all for your responses so far. I have received a wealth of good suggestions and comments which I do appreciate very much.

Artin
    Last edited by Zipdrive; May 11th, 2009 at 11:36 AM.

Affiliate Manager FriendlyPlanetTravel's Avatar
    Artin,

If the "network" doesn't allow you to know who is promoting your product and who you can approve (want your product associated with sex/hate sites?) get OFF THAT NETWORK! I guarantee you it is a haven for bad affiliates with very few good apples.

Better to go with a network like Shareasale or buy.at (low cost) that at least tell you who your affiliates are and you have the option to approve/disapprove them. Doesn't mean you would get a bad apple (we did see http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=119284 ) but network immediately booted the suspicious affiliate.

Quote Originally Posted by Zipdrive
    I thought of by passing her and going directly to her manager. The only problem is that I feel like it might upset them and work to my disadvantage. How would I approach this to keep all happy. I am sure she will not like this.
    How much worse could it get? You're already not getting what you paid for, if you're not willing to accept mediocre performance then you need to let them know that. Remember, you're the customer, they should be more worried about you being upset.

Quote Originally Posted by FriendlyPlanetTravel
    If the "network" doesn't allow you to know who is promoting your product and who you can approve (want your product associated with sex/hate sites?) get OFF THAT NETWORK! I guarantee you it is a haven for bad affiliates with very few good apples.
    I have to agree with FPT here also. You are ultimately responsible for the affiliates that are promoting you and the methods that they use. If the network is withholding this crucial data it's time to move on.

If I firm up and tell them that I must approve all affiliates running this campaign then they must allow this right? Also, what are some things I should look for in an affiliate? How would you recommend I base my screening process?
    This is where you need the guidance of an experienced OPM or AM. There are plenty of great OPMs here on ABW and I'm sure that many would be willing to provide you with an initial consultation at no charge. Right guys?

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

FPT,
    That is very true what you mentioned.This link you posted I cannot view. I don't have permission. I wonder why that is. Maybe, I don't have enough posts. I read something like that on this forums regarding privileges and amounts of posts. I guess I'll wait.

Rematt,
    I do agree with you about mediocre performance, I called my manager and left a voice mail. We will see if she responds.
    The hiring of an AM & an OPM is something my partner and myself need to discuss. It is an idea that should have been second nature to think up but I didn't. I would like to speak to a few actually. Thanks for mentioning that.

I do have a question regarding the other networks you've mentioned. Our campaign is a free trial offer, we run it on CPA networks, would that type of offer work on a traditional network like CJ, Buy.at, SAS? Since it is a CPA campaign, what would you suggest?

Artin

Admin Note: You can't see it because it's in the manager's only section - you are not confirmed as an affiliate manager.

Haiko,
    Cool, thanks for the heads up.

Outsourced Program Manager Chris -  AMWSO's Avatar
    How much worse could it get? You're already not getting what you paid for, if you're not willing to accept mediocre performance then you need to let them know that. Remember, you're the customer, they should be more worried about you being upset.
    Sounds like the worst....hmmm best thing they could do is to ask you to leave the network.... you have no relationship with your partners there, no contacts and nothing to gain by remaining. The partners that are adding value and do like promoting your product will most likely find you once you move to a better network.

Cheers

Chris
    Last edited by Chris - AMWSO; May 12th, 2009 at 02:17 AM.
    Affiliate Marketing by AMWSO. Skype - chrissanderson ::: TEL 1-720-336-1784 ::: www.amwso.net
    Join our affiliate programs :Vaper Empire, Iolo, Art of Tea, or See ALL our Programs here

You're right Chris,
    This is one of those things where I guess I have spent a lot of $$ on marketing and have gotten nothing in return so far. I am sure you know what the price range for a CPA campaign like our is, and imagine how much damage has been done. Those funds could have gone to a better place. But I will keep on trying to find a solution that's for sure. The possibilities of doing business online are unimaginable, and with a team of good partners I think this can turn out to be what I started this business to be in the first place.

Artin

Dude, seriously, get out. As a 'non confirmed" AM what they are doing to you is BS. Go hire an AM and get it done right. The money is worth it. There are some good ones available here.

PDX, you're right about that I already emailed them and insisted they take my campaign down! So far the advice I have gotten from you guys has been very helpful and motivating.
    Thank you.

Does anyone know about Pepperjam Network?
    Are they legit?
    I have read a little about them and they seem to be ok. I also checked out their web site. I was thinking of contacting them.

Artin

Does anyone know about Pepperjam Network?
    Are they legit?
    I have read a little about them and they seem to be ok. I also checked out their web site. I was thinking of contacting them.

Artin
    Do a search here on ABW. PeperJam announced their new network here some time ago, told us how great they were, told us how transparent they were and then refused to answer any questions. They then accused us of being mean for asking questions, apparently their definition of transparency and ours differed.

Needless to say they aren't very popular here. There are many here (myself included) that wouldn't touch them with a ten foot, rubber tipped, galvanized pole (but I've also been accused of being very opinionated).

-rematt

Rematt,
    thanks,
    I actually searched and am now reading a very long thread started by Haiko here is the link...http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread...4&page=1&pp=25.
    Man that a long thread.
    Looks like where ever I turn I get hit by a negative openion regarding the Network I am interested in.
    What networks can you recommend that are CPA based, if any, which I may contact?
    If any, what may be the pros & cons of that network?

Artin

in.
    What networks can you recommend that are CPA based, if any, which I may contact?
    If any, what may be the pros & cons of that network?
    Artin, I haven't worked with any of the CPA networks but there are many others here that have. I'm sure some of the members here can help with a little insight based on their experiences.

Good luck.

-rematt

Artin,

Niche? What's the offer? With that we can make suggestions.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Hi Haiko,
    Man o man,
    you ripped it into Pepperjam, although some of the topics were confusing to me ie: cybersquatting, I am now afraid of even contacting them. Thanks for that post. You really think they are shady! I'll take your word for it. I am obviously new to this gig. I need all the direction I can get at this moment. I have to say ABW has been an incredible enlightening option for me. Thanks regarding that.
    To give you insight, I have a partner and we have 1 offer at the moment due to financial reasons. We have a colon cleansing product which is offered as a 14 day free trial.
    I have been pushing to generate revenue for the past year (full of set backs and disappointment although we threw what saved money we had to keep alive) to break out other products in the supplement/health/beauty sector. We have been on a couple of Networks (which I don't feel comfortable naming openly) and that has gone sour. These networks were CPA networks.
    We see a competitor doing just fine, we however keep getting many fraudulent leads ie: lost/stolen cc's, pre-loaded cc's etc.That makes me very afraid of affiliates at the same time. (That's how I actually found this forum)
    Our business model is to offer our product as a 14 day free trial and if the customer wants to keep and continue with the product they don't cancel their auto-ship until they are satisfied and cancel.
    I found your site a couple of weeks ago, I have been dissecting every thread that looks like it might be relevant to what we are doing.
    Trying to get a feel of what affiliates really look for in a possible offer they might be interested in. I very truely believe that the affiliates are the single most important component of any type of online business(obviously)
    Having said that, I want to learn more about what intrigues them, turns aff's on and off, etc. Hoping to one day (hopefully soon) I will be able to directly communicate and work with some of affilites. Although I fear that I may be too small of a business as of right now to raise any eyebrows. But what are you gonna do? I have to start some where.
    Hence my earlier stated question,
    Which networks would members of this board recommend? Yourself as well. Since I find that you are a leading voice for affiliates and many here have trust in you.

Thanks,
    Artin

Affiliate Manager FriendlyPlanetTravel's Avatar
    Artin,

IMO - go with Shareasale since you have limited funds. They are well respected by affiliates and inexpensive to get started on. Commission Junction is also good but expensive. Buy.at is also respectable , but new (in states).

Also IMO - find yourself an Affiliate/Program Manager to run the program for you. There are MANY good ones here on ABW. Though they may be "costly" initially, the cost is really just a cost factor of the overall campaign, just as are commissions,network fees,free samples,etc. Without a good manager your likely results will be poor unless you have someone in house ready to spend a LOT of time and efforts (as well as be knowledgeable). Talk to a number of the managers here at ABW, some might be able to work with you on fees if they believe in your product.

Good Luck

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread