247malls...a bit sneakier this time.
    If you choose a merchant like Coldwater Creek, Gap, OldNavy or JCPenneys from their dropdown menu and after the merchant page loads you click to go to a different page, like click on one of their cateogories, the link opens in a new window.
    So they are doing it on exit.
    Not with all merchants, looks like the more namebrand merchants they are doing it with.

So evidently the shopper was clicking away, not having found what they wanted and they get the cookie set...

Ok, and that SHOULD be it for them - no more chances from any merchants!!!

Just goes to show - a cheat is a cheat and a liar is a liar.

Ebudae

If you understand, things are just as they are...
    if you do not understand, things are just as they are.

Yep, and after they said they stopped doing that...Yeah, until they thought no one was looking again.

But I really wonder if some of those namebrand merchants really care. Last time they got dropped by just a few lesser known stores.
    Doubt anything will happen to them this time either. Sure wish the networks would step up to the plate.

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    Good catch Connie!

I have found quite a few sites doing this and similar tricks just in the past 10 minutes or so.

I just found a site that when click on the link to their site in the search results, you are autoforwarded directly to the merchants site. Wait! There's more. If you close the window and click on the link again, you are taken to a different merchants site!

I can't get the link site to pop up long enough to hit stop to check the source to see how they are doing this.

~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

CJ does not care as from this CJ Ask A Question response to affiliates poping their cookies.

Dear Allen:

We monitor accounts for forced clicks, but it is the case that there are very different levels of that. By that I mean simply that there are obvious cases of true forced clicks wherein somebody can rack up 50,000 pop-ups in a matter of days even hours and no one wants that, but we can't see those until they have already taken place or are still in process. But for other situations it really depends upon the particular advertisers presented. Not all advertisers are against automatic clicks.

When commissions were available for clicks, then that was a clear case of no automatic clicks as with an iframe or pop-up unless the rare case that an advertiser would authorize a particular publisher to do so. That was definitely rare and we would need documentation of that so that all parties were in agreement.

Sincerely,
    Network Quality

I look for the day, when every affiliate from every nation can climb to the mountain top and yell,
    'Free again, Free Again."

Today is a national day of parasite free shopping.

I would think CJ merchants would care..it can really screw up their EPC...

ABW Ambassador
    Like Michael posted in the other thread, merchants have stats and can see which affiliates are producing a bunch of clicks and those sites auto setting cookies usually will have a very low EPC with that merchant. So if they really cared they could do something about it.

I work in lounge pants

When it’s all said and done, it always comes down to making a case.

Because networks are making money they will not step in and stop the flow, its up to the offended companies or individuals to take it to court and cost everyone money to place a STOP to the situation.

If the courts see it as theft, which is what we are all stating.

The courts will FROCE the networks to make the changes. Unfortunately, in the 2 years that are the normal waiting period, new theft opportunities will take place.

SandraR

Web Ho - Design B!tch ~Michelle's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by TrustNo1®:
    Like Michael posted in the other thread, merchants have stats and can see which affiliates are producing a bunch of clicks and those sites auto setting cookies usually will have a very low EPC with that merchant. So if they really cared they could do something about it.

I work in lounge pants <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

A thought about this theory though. If the affilate site is is using link masking their impressions vs click throughs would be skewed. The could have 0 impressions and 1000's of click throughs.

~Michelle
    "All I ask is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy."
    "Work to become, not to acquire." -- Confucius

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Registrant:
    SWS Business Services (247MALLS-DOM)
    Dorfstrasse 33
    Untersiebenbrunn, non A2284
    AT

Domain Name: 247MALLS.COM

Administrative Contact, Technical Contact:
    Sulek, Stefan (SS11699) sws-b-s@AON.AT
    SWS Business & Internet Services
    Dorfstrasse 33
    Untersiebenbrunn 2284
    AT
    +43-2286-27400 fax: +43-2286-27401

Record expires on 13-Dec-2005.
    Record created on 13-Dec-1999.
    Database last updated on 5-Feb-2004 01:32:35 EST.

Domain servers in listed order:

NS.SULEK.NET 64.39.16.128
    NS2.SULEK.NET 64.39.16.129

The foreign wank is outside the typical reach of US laws or law suits. He runs his own server and you can bet he's adept at e-mail spamming. Runs his own server so 247malls is probably his legit domain with hundreds of others playing a different game.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks ecom,
    that is what I ever wanted to have: a thief in the EU. I will look into it, and if he does what is said, he will definitively end before a judge.

carneol

This is very very sad!

I wonder what the merchants would say now?

I still see alot of the trusted merchants on their list!

and yes they are setting more than one cookie!

What does the COC stand for? Crooks Overwriting Commissions.
    Don't worry! Tracking is infected!
    Love Life to the fullest. we only get ONE chance! :-)

ABW Ambassador
    Nova >> I wonder what the merchants would say now?

Just what I'm wondering too, Nova. There's a lot of silence from most of them.

Let's hear it from more merchants who are taking a real stand against automatic cookie setting and the abusive sites that are using them.

ABW Ambassador
    Most of the merchants look at the bottom line only. What matters is that they rake in the sales and which affiliate does better is of minor importance (if important at all).

Affiliate Manager
    They were dropped from eVitamins the first time around. I am not sure why our links are still working though. I always thought that once an affiliate was expired the CJ links would go to an error page. I guess not?

To Good Health & Wellbeing,

Chet Brzezinski
    eVitamins Affiliate Manager
    http://www.eVitamins.com
    affiliates@evitamins.com

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks for sharing your experience with the members of the community, Chet.

Do you have any comments on how dropping the auto-cookie setters has impacted your business, either positively or negatively? If you can feed us some results I'm sure everyone can benefit from it. If you don't have any information, or choose not to divulge it, that's ok. Thanks for taking the "clean side" either way.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Gearshopper:
    CJ does not care as from this CJ Ask A Question response to affiliates poping their cookies<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

In the 8 months I've been an affiliate I've seen many negative comments about CJ and their inaction to complaints and failure to monitor corrupt affiliates. That's why I quit using them. I'm just a small player but I'm sure there are many many more like me. (take note merchants).

"Maybe this world is another planet's Hell."
    - Aldous Huxley (1894-1963)

ABW Ambassador
    Bradley, CJ is really not any different from any other network. Focus on good merchants regardless of what network they're in. There are some nice parasite free merchants at CJ you're missing out on. JMO.

I work in lounge pants

Affiliate Manager
    Whiznot,

I will definately give that info when I have it. Right now it is just to early to tell. I dropped 9 affiliates that I found doing the auto cookies thing last night...

I am sure I will only see positive results from not supporting this type of activity. As long as affiliates support us for not supporting it then it should be a win-win situation for us and the honest affiliates.

Haven't heard from any of the ones that were dropped as of yet, nor do I expect to either.

I am concerned to why the affiliates links are still working after affiliates are dropped and the 7 days notice stuff passes by. If the links still work then that would mean cookies are still being over written I would assume.

Chet Brzezinski
    affiliates@evitamins.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by eVitamins Chet:
    I am concerned to why the affiliates links are still working after affiliates are dropped and the 7 days notice stuff passes by. If the links still work then that would mean cookies are still being over written I would assume.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Very true point, and one that merchants should press CJ to look into ASAP. If a deactivated affiliate sets the cookie, NOBODY gets a commission--not the deactivated affiliate, not the affiliate whose cookies were overwritten, and not even CJ. That's in CJ's best interest to fix.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

Affiliate Manager
    I contacted them this morning about that. Hope they answer soon.

Chet Brzezinski
    affiliates@evitamins.com

I had asked CJ about links being valid after the affiliate was out of our program, and they had said that they allow the links to keep coming to our site so that we don't lose the traffic. That makes sense for most links that are just on an affiliate's page they haven't taken down but not for this particular issue.

-patrice

patrice.colancecco.milligan
    affiliate.manager
    ::eastwood.com::householdauto.com::integrarx.com::
    e: patrice@affiliategoddess.com | aim: patricemilligan

Affiliate Manager
    Just got their reply and they basically told me the same thing. They said that they would contact the affiliate for me and ask them to remove the link...

Chet Brzezinski
    affiliates@evitamins.com

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread