Frustrating problem with generating Index pages - fixed
    I read back and saw someone else having the same problem I'm having, but there was no posted fix to it. Here is what's going on:

I recently updated to 2.5.1. Can't remember which version I had before, but this wasn't an issue in my previous version. Now I can't find another older version to fall back on.

I create a setting file and set up all my sources, index pages, detail pages, generation, etc. and when I run the settings it works fine. Exports and uploads all my html documents. However, when I quit WebMerge and then run the settings file again, it has reverted my options that I saved for the "Naming New Index Pages" section, namely when I click on it to use "Field Contents" popup to one of my exported fields for the name of the index file. It reverts to unchecked and uploads a plain "index" file intead- the default base name. No matter what I do, "Save As...", changing the file name and saving it somewhere else, anything I do, next time I open the settings file it always defaults my "Field Contents" to unchecked.

HELP! This is a serious hassle for me.

In the meantime I'm going to keep looking for an older copy since 2.5.1 is not what I need when it comes with this problem.

Edit: I'm using the Mac version, with a Filemaker export.

Affiliate Manager
    We've had an unusually long public beta test period for this version and have not had other reports on this in recent builds, but of course if there's a problem I want to fix it ASAP.

As requested on our Support page, please email me your settings file and in your email note which OS version you're using: support@fourthworld.com

Thanks. If we need to make a fix it should take almost no time at all.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Affiliate Manager
    Ignore my last message. I was able to find the issue, and have a fix available. I'll make complete installers once you verify the fix, but for now I have new program files available - just download the one you need for your OS and drop it into your existing WebMerge folder and run from there:

OS X:
    http://www.fourthworld.com/products/...ge252b.app.zip

Windows:
    http://www.fourthworld.com/products/...ge252b.exe.zip

Linux:
    http://www.fourthworld.com/products/...bMerge252b.zip

Please let me know if this fixes the issue, or if you encounter any other issues with it.

Thanks for the report.
    Richard Gaskin

Yay! It works. Thank you so much. This will help immensely.

Now, here is the next question I have:

How come I can't use the "Naming New Index Pages" features when the "All records on one page" radio button is on? I mean, I should still be allowed to generate custom names for a page if all records are on the same page, yes? This needs to be fixed for both Index page section as well as Detail Pages.

I'm sure I can come up with a bunch of other suggestions, just give me time.

If you want to see what I've been doing with my WebMerge over the past year, check out my site http://www.robotmarketplace.com probably 95% of the pages there are being generated by my Filemaker scripts using WebMerge. Nearly 6000 pages!

Thank you for the awesome software!

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by robot
    Yay! It works. Thank you so much. This will help immensely.
    Glad that worked out. Might even be a new record here, with a bug fix delivered one hour and 45 minutes after it was reported. I'll see if I can get the final installers for v2.5.2 posted within the next 24 hrs.

It really benefits everyone more to have bug identified during the beta test cycle if possible, so I'm hoping we can count on you to run v2.6 through it's paces when the beta is posted in the next week or so. Doable?

How come I can't use the "Naming New Index Pages" features when the "All records on one page" radio button is on? I mean, I should still be allowed to generate custom names for a page if all records are on the same page, yes? This needs to be fixed for both Index page section as well as Detail Pages.
    I'm not sure I understand, since detail pages are always a single page.

But as far as using a field name on index pages, if you're making only one index page it can only have one name; specifying a field would have it do a lot of extra processing that it doesn't need to do since it'll only use one value.

Just paste the value you want into the name field provided and you're done, and your index generation will run very quickly.

I'm sure I can come up with a bunch of other suggestions, just give me time.
    Keep 'em coming. Version 2.6 development is wrapping up soon so it's a good time to submit feature requests.

If you want to see what I've been doing with my WebMerge over the past year, check out my site http://www.robotmarketplace.com probably 95% of the pages there are being generated by my Filemaker scripts using WebMerge. Nearly 6000 pages!
    Nice site.

If you'd like me to add it to our Gallery page I'd be happy to do so - you can submit it here:
    http://www.fourthworld.com/products/...lery_form.html

Thank you for the awesome software!
    My pleasure. Glad you find it helpful.
    Richard Gaskin

Quote Originally Posted by FourthWorld
    I'm not sure I understand, since detail pages are always a single page.
    Sorry, my mistake, its only on the Index page layout.

But as far as using a field name on index pages, if you're making only one index page it can only have one name; specifying a field would have it do a lot of extra processing that it doesn't need to do since it'll only use one value.

Just paste the value you want into the name field provided and you're done, and your index generation will run very quickly.
    That's not very convenient for me though. I always have my FileMaker scripts execute the WebMerge data, it does its thing then closes down WebMerge. I need it to have a way to enter the index file name according to something that is being exported from FileMaker. I can't have it pause and wait for me to enter a name manually.

Keep 'em coming. Version 2.6 development is wrapping up soon so it's a good time to submit feature requests.
    OK, how's this:
    I'd love a way to have the paths to the source, templates, destination folders, etc., be able to work regardless of the computer it is running on, as long as the basic location on the drive is the same. For example, I need to have one of my employees run the scripts on their computer, but when I make a change to a settings file, I can't just give them my setting file, I need to open it up on their system and change the path name for all the references to their computer instead of mine then re-save it. As an example, the path to my "create index pages in" is "/Users/jim/Documents/Websites/Robot MarketPlace/" and this information is saved in the settings file. However, the other computer would be something like "/Users/amanda/Documents/Websites/Robot MarketPlace/". Is there a way to have it just look inside the current user's directory and start with "/Documents/Websites...."? That way, I could just send out a new settings file and templates when something changes, and not have to worry about changing every single file according to whose computer it is on?

If you'd like me to add it to our Gallery page I'd be happy to do so - you can submit it here:
    http://www.fourthworld.com/products/...lery_form.html
    Thanks, submitted it.

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by robot
    I always have my FileMaker scripts execute the WebMerge data, it does its thing then closes down WebMerge. I need it to have a way to enter the index file name according to something that is being exported from FileMaker. I can't have it pause and wait for me to enter a name manually.
    If you're using a fixed value for a single index page but are generating multiple index pages in separate runs, have you considered using a single run to generate multiple pages?

Are you using different source files, or could they be concatenated into one?

If you could put all those in a single source file you could get what you need in one WebMerge run.

I'd love a way to have the paths to the source, templates, destination folders, etc., be able to work regardless of the computer it is running on, as long as the basic location on the drive is the same. For example, I need to have one of my employees run the scripts on their computer, but when I make a change to a settings file, I can't just give them my setting file, I need to open it up on their system and change the path name for all the references to their computer instead of mine then re-save it. As an example, the path to my "create index pages in" is "/Users/jim/Documents/Websites/Robot MarketPlace/" and this information is saved in the settings file. However, the other computer would be something like "/Users/amanda/Documents/Websites/Robot MarketPlace/". Is there a way to have it just look inside the current user's directory and start with "/Documents/Websites...."? That way, I could just send out a new settings file and templates when something changes, and not have to worry about changing every single file according to whose computer it is on?
    In the olden days (v1.0) it used to use absolute paths, and what we kept getting requests to use relative paths so folks could set up a complete system for their clients in a folder and then just hand off that folder and the client can run updates themselves.

I can consider making absolute paths optional, but to be honest yours is the first request for this in all these years, and I have a number of really popular requests to address still.

If anyone reading this would like support for absolute paths in the settings file please speak up and I'll prioritize this request accordingly.
    Richard Gaskin

Is this fixed?
    Hi there,

I'm working on Phase 2 of our webmerge website (a lot more interesting than the first). And I'm wanting to dynamically create new index pages.

So far so good. Except for "Naming New Index Pages" > "Field Contents" check box. It's not staying 'on' after I quit webmerge. The checkbox is unselected when I re-open the settings file. I'm also automating from filemaker. (BTW awesome combination!)

I'm downloading that OS X version you have in this thread, but is it OK to stick with it now? Is it fully functional?

Thanks!

BTW, Once this next phase is live, I'll defintely submit it for the gallery as it will show a very tidy use of webmerge!

Affiliate Manager
    Yes, the build posted should be suitable for production work.
    Richard Gaskin

Thanks for that!

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread