I know Leader will love this.

We did a little content experiment. The result has been great! As of this morning, purchases made through this little subchannel have given us our best Commission Junction month this fiscal year (which started in October) - and the first full week isn't over yet!

This is not intended to start a content flamewar, just a little celebration for something that worked! I love when that happens!

Karl Smith >>> phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here
    ---------
    Beware Parasiteware! It is stealing your money! >>> click here to learn more

I am grabbing some popcorn and getting comfortable waiting for Leader to appear.

<hr>
    Leave the gun, take the cannolis.

I don't suppose you're going to elaborate on your 'content experiment'?

If you can solve your problem, then what is the need of worrying?
    If you cannot solve it, then what is the use of worrying?

Snib:

I wish it were something brilliant, but it was just some very timely repackaging combined with good cross-promotion within the site. If only I were smarter ...

---------

Hey, just checked another network and our effort on another subchannel generated some decent sales, too.

---------

Hey, just checked another network and our effort on another subchannel generated some decent sales, too.

---------

Hmmmm ... no Leader sighting ... geez, maybe she's softened up on the whole content thing...

:bait:

---------

Vague.

Millionaire on training wheels Justdoit's Avatar
    I think Leader is a night owl and will post her scathing anti content speech then...

It is never too late to be what you might have been.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I don't particulary remember the details of this "experiment"...

But I will say that the c*ntent is only of consequence if the sales were coming from those same pages (the actual pages with the content on them), and not from a store section that just happens to have some links-in from content sections.

Affiliates have been grafting their "real sites" onto the back end of content sites for years, due to jokers like DMOZ who don't like aff sites.

So which is it, are the sales really coming from the content section, or are they coming from a revenue site section (which would amount to a revenue site that just doesn't have its own domain)?

~Cheapskate merchants need not apply

Leader:

I didn't post the details on this particular experiments. In this case, the sales came directly from content pages. I hung a sales page off of one of the subchannels, but it didn't do much. Sales came directly from content pages.

Like I said, not trying to start a flame.

Just showing there are multiple ways to skin a cat that work in varying degrees for different folks.

Of course, I always enjoy discussing content with you!

---------

ABW Ambassador
    I've seen all types of sites work, you can make money lots of ways. I remember when i first start reading of a story of a girl who had a blog and would jot down her daily activities with affiliate links in the right place. Kinda like: I went to the mall today and bought these Jeans at the Gap and wow that Sony Plasma sure looks nice. Stuff like that I didn't really see the draw but she got lots of traffic and makes thousands a month in commissions. Theres not any set way to make money doing this.

Try different methods, different merchants and find whats right for you. What's right or what works for one person, might not necessarily work for you.

I think that if you're going to do content, you have to do it REALLY well. Phillyburbs.com is known for content, and they do it extremely well. So they're able to capture that special kind of customer who pays attention to ads in content sites and buy through them. These are the people who might not have planned to shop, but find something they really want or need (or remember where they saw it) and buy. I think you have to have really good content to be able to snag those folks.

I can see leader's point of view, though, too - shoppers are online to shop, for the most part, and not read. She's got volume on her side.

But with Karl's content site, there is probably more loyalty, and more "lifetime value."

Bottom line, if content works for you, use it! I happen to love content sites. But Karl did something that alot of other folks don't do - he tested. That's an important part of marketing.

Way to go, Karl!

-patrice

patrice.colancecco.milligan
    affiliate.manager
    ::eastwood.com::householdauto.com::integrarx.com::
    e: patrice@affiliategoddess.com | aim: patricemilligan

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> This is not intended to start a content flamewar, just a little celebration for something that worked! I love when that happens! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I have to agree. As an experiment about 3 months ago, I chose 10 products (with a 20%+ commission) and wrote one keywrod-targeted article per product, weaving an affilaite ink to that product within the article content itself.

The result? Over $5000 in sales of those 10 products this month alone...netting a nifty $1077 in commissions so far.

Needless to say...I've committed to writing one article a day from now on

Erik

==============================
    Tired of a handful of people having TOTAL power over human-edited directories? Help www.BuildtheHive.com change that forever.

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread