Question PHP Site Development Question
    Hey guys,

Ok, just to be sure, in theory you can completely develop/build a PHP based auction website locally and have it fully functional locally, right? I was just wondering as I do have the newest PHP, Apache and MySQL installed on my XP system and they are running fine on my localhost, but am still having issues with PHPProBid getting database information. I have been trying to get onto the PHPProBids forums to ask a few questions there, but am having access issues doing that. Already sent them an email about that.

Thanks,
    Jason

In theory, yes. I've run Apache/MySQL/PHP on a Windows box for development before, and one thing I found out was that even though they appear to be the exact same versions of all 3 programs, it is still possible to have a program react differently on a Windows and Linux machine. So sofware like PHPProBid may work perfectly well in a Linux environment but run in to issues when run on Windows.

Good luck. I know how frustrating that part can be.
    Eric Tyler
    Eric [at] FinancialNetworkPro [dot] com
    [URL=http://financialnetworkpro.com]http://financialnetworkpro.com[/URL]

Yep, frustrating it is. Also, it seems to act completely different on different browsers too, which is a pain.

I guess there isn't a way to develop it live on a server with out people finding it, is there? I have not bought a host yet, but is there like maybe a Private mode or something on hosts like HostGator that would let you develop and test everything on the hosted Linux server before it is actually available for the public to view through the domain?

Thanks,
    Jason

Well, you could throw something at the top of the index that checks to see if the person is you (by IP address or something like that)... if not, have it echo "coming soon..." or something of the sort.
    Eric Tyler
    Eric [at] FinancialNetworkPro [dot] com
    [URL=http://financialnetworkpro.com]http://financialnetworkpro.com[/URL]

Hmm, that sounds like a good idea! I guess it would be better if I could work on my site in Expressions and then just keep uploading to the host and test things. At least that way I see how it is really going to act before it is used by the public. I just wish there was an easier way.

Thanks,
    Jason

ABW Ambassador
    I use .htaccess to block anyone but me on my development domain.

You can do it by ip or by cookie.

Ray...

Just had a thought, PHPProBid uses Cron Jobs. How can those be run on localhost? A lot of the errors I am seeing reference cron job files.

Thanks,
    Jason

You can set up cron jobs to run on windows using "sheduled tasks" in control panel. If the cron jobs use the wget command you can download a windows version from gnu.org. It is not the easiest tool to use you may have to do much reading to sort it out.

As for the linux question you can password protect any folder using cPanel so all you need to do is password protect your root directory.

Regards

Bob

k, I will give that a shot.

Thanks,
    Jason

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread