Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Questions for iPhone owners
    I'm FINALLY seriously considering getting an iphone, but I had a few specific questions with regards to its capabilities related to my affiliate marketing activities. I checked the Apple site, but couldn't find the answers. I will probably get one even if some of the following capabilities don't exist, but would like to know limitations beforehand.

I would like to be able to:

- FTP files to/from my iPhone to my websites (Linux/Cpanel).
    - Copy and paste between documents, between documents and a web browser, or between email and a web browser.
    - Open, edit, save Word/Excel documents. (I think I saw an app for this.)
    - Remotely access my home computer.

I love my Treo, but there are limitations, like not being able to display Flash or java applets. Is this possible on the iPhone?

Thanks in advance for your input!
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

> "
    - FTP files to/from my iPhone to my websites (Linux/Cpanel).
    - Copy and paste between documents, between documents and a web browser, or between email and a web browser.
    - Open, edit, save Word/Excel documents. (I think I saw an app for this.)
    - Remotely access my home computer.

" <

Pretty much "no" across the board.
    - Definitely no FTP (no filesystem anyway; check for apps)
    - Copy and paste is promised in the update this summer
    - Maybe you can view "some", but to edit & save you'd need an app for this
    - Not unless there's an app for this.

I have an iphone - haven't really tried to use it in the ways you described - but, as far as I know it doesn't play flash either. Unless there is an app that I don't know about...

Sorry I'm not much help!
    [B][COLOR=Navy]Nadia Levine (van Rooyen)[/COLOR][/B]
    Senior Manager, Affiliate Practice at Vantage Media
    nlevine(at)VantageMedia.com

Wait for 3.0 - summertime
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Thanks, everyone, for your replies.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.

Affiliate Manager
    Not entirely no across the board if you are willing to use alternatives

- FTP files. This is no
    - Copy and paste between documents, between documents and a web browser, or between email and a web browser. AND Open, edit, save Word/Excel documents. Use the Google App and Docs to do all this. Everything is done online so you'll have the files on your PC through the interweb
    - Remotely access. Yes, there are apps for this, they don't come to mind but I'm certain this is possible. Search for Remote or something.

there is vnc client for remote access to a desktop. Last time i checked it was not a secure connection. It did work for me when I tried it out, iphone - win 2003 server
    Merchants, any data you provide to Google Shopping should also be in your affiliate network datafeed. More data means more sales!

Wait for 3.0 - summertime
    That got me to do a little reading and now I'm really looking forward to it.

We've asked around at several Apple stores to see if there is anything new coming out this June and they all are pretty hush about it. No one knows but the only tip they gave was that historically that is when Apple has new products coming out.

I sooooooo want an iPhone now, but I don't want to be disappointed if something better comes out in a few months. Argh! LOL. Hurry up, Apple!

Affiliate Manager
    At this point wait
    The plans for the new phone are impressive and worth the wait. Then again, if you have a spouse or something to whom you could pass off the old (current) version.... you know, because they wouldn't use it AS much but want one...

Quote Originally Posted by pobrien9
    At this point wait
    The plans for the new phone are impressive and worth the wait. Then again, if you have a spouse or something to whom you could pass off the old (current) version.... you know, because they wouldn't use it AS much but want one...
    Oooooooooh. Now THAT'S an idea. Hehehe. I think that might work. Thanks!

iPhone intrigue
    Since Apple has already announced that the iPhone 3.0 software will be made available this summer and has detailed many of the upcoming features, what will get most people excited will be the launch of a new iPhone handset. Many outlets are reporting dwindling stocks of the iPhone 3G while others have been offering deals on the device in an attempt to shift inventory.
    Excerpt from http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9595_22-308797.html

You might consider a Windows based smartphone. I love my Samsung Omnia. It looks and operates much like the i-Phone. It comes with Microsoft Windows Mobile 6.1 Professional and includes the Microsoft Office Mobile Suite with Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook, and other apps. I haven't looked into FTP yet but will check it out. Verizon sells them for $99 right now. There's a good review at reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/samsung-omnia-verizon-wireless/4505-6452_7-33399472.html

after all the iPhone announcements today...does anyone have any idea when a totally new iPhone will be coming out? or better yet (for me at least) what are the chances of the iPhone coming to Verizon? AT&T scares me

I got my iPhone tonight! Woo hoo!

Quote Originally Posted by meadowmufn
    I got my iPhone tonight! Woo hoo!
    Details, we need details. I am about ready to pull the trigger on a new one - need just a bit more incentive.

I upgraded my "original" iPhone to the 3.0 software, but I do think it's time for new hardware also. I now have cut-n-paste but am interested in the better camera. 3MP? Video? Any good?
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Affiliate Manager GlobalGolf-Amanda's Avatar
    My boss just got the GS... The video is great. I think the camera on my 3G is pretty darn good, and I don't notice a huge difference in resolution on his vs mine, but I guess if I regularly tried to zoom and crop it would be beneficial.

There is definitely a big difference between the original iPhone and the 3G/3GS models.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    Amanda Moralis
    GlobalGolf.com | GolfShoesOnly.com | TaylorMadeGolfPreOwned.com
    [URL=https://signup.cj.com/member/brandedPublisherSignUp.do?air_refmerchantid=2132449]Join our affiliate program![/URL] | [URL=http://globalgolfaff.blogspot.com/]GlobalGolf & GSO Affiliate Blog[/URL] | [URL=http://feeds.feedburner.com/ggaffs/]Coupon Feed[/URL]

I got mine also about a week ago.

My only complaint is I have to charge it every day. I was searching for a complete "off" switch like the ipod Nano has to turn off the thing completely but there isn't one. Either that or mine is leaking battery like crazy.

Video and pic is pretty good. No zoom but great for taking little shots and pics for those times you don't have a camera close by.

My kids can probably tell you more about the iphone than I can, lol.

T
    Quote Originally Posted by ladidah
    I got mine also about a week ago.

My only complaint is I have to charge it every day. I was searching for a complete "off" switch like the ipod Nano has to turn off the thing completely but there isn't one. Either that or mine is leaking battery like crazy.

Video and pic is pretty good. No zoom but great for taking little shots and pics for those times you don't have a camera close by.

My kids can probably tell you more about the iphone than I can, lol.
    Hold the top right button and the home button til it turns off. That completely turns it off. Haven't tried the video yet, but that's next on my list. Got a nice Corp. Discount through work for the monthly charges and will be saving about $50 on comparable service from my last carrier.

The iphone is an AT&T product only. Which is EXACTLY why I didn't buy one. I'm a happy Verizon customer with an old shared plan that can't be beat. True story: When I went to the Apple Store to look at iphones, the salesperson heard that I was with Verizon, asked for how long, and whispered "Don't switch to AT&T. You'll hate it." I did, however, end up buying the itouch, which does everything, and more, than I need. along with my very old, very simple and small cell phone.

Quote Originally Posted by jkgourmet
    The iphone is an AT&T product only. Which is EXACTLY why I didn't buy one. I'm a happy Verizon customer with an old shared plan that can't be beat. True story: When I went to the Apple Store to look at iphones, the salesperson heard that I was with Verizon, asked for how long, and whispered "Don't switch to AT&T. You'll hate it." I did, however, end up buying the itouch, which does everything, and more, than I need. along with my very old, very simple and small cell phone.
    I resisted for quite some time too, as I was a longtime Verizon customer. But when I did some research and saw I could get more than my current Verizon plan for $50 less a month, it was a no brainer. Lots of folks at work did the same switch before me and didn't regret it.

Now you're gonna make me feel bad, muffin. Maybe it's just this part of the country - AT&T has a dreadful reputation in the Southwest. But you've got me thinking. . .

Quote Originally Posted by meadowmufn
    Hold the top right button and the home button til it turns off. That completely turns it off. Haven't tried the video yet, but that's next on my list. Got a nice Corp. Discount through work for the monthly charges and will be saving about $50 on comparable service from my last carrier.

That is what I always do but it still drains.

Then I found somewhere online that perhaps the settings for fetching email should not be done often, like manually or update hourly.

Let see if this is better.

We even got rid of our home phone and using the cell phone as our home phone. Got a device called XLink or XLinx so that when we walk into the house, it senses the iphones and we can use the regular phones to answer our calls so that we don't have to scout around the house for just the iphone. Who knows where the kids leave the phones lying around. Very clear reception.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast