Affiliate Manager
    Banners or links?
    What do affiliates prefer? I'm getting an unreasonable amount of PPC affiliates and wonder if our time and money spent on banners is of any use

Thanks

How would a tool that is both branding and sales oriented be a waste of time?

Affiliates prefer the gambit of marketing tools, banners, widgets, feeds, keywords etc ... offer them the all tools the ROI will be there.
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    How would a tool that is both branding and sales oriented be a waste of time?

Affiliates prefer the gambit of marketing tools, banners, widgets, feeds, keywords etc ... offer them the all tools the ROI will be there.

Ditto that!

Well said.

It's a shame that some of us affiliates don't take the time to implement all of the above and still gripe about our earnings.

Reminds me to get motivated.

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    About 80% of sale comes from text links that are incorporated into the page copy. But a page would be pretty boring if it was only text. Banners are for branding and impact so put a reasonable amount in the program (max. 12). Don't do an IAB suite as many of those are not used by affiliates but for CPM advertising.

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick
    About 80% of sale comes from text links that are incorporated into the page copy. But a page would be pretty boring if it was only text. Banners are for branding and impact so put a reasonable amount in the program (max. 12). Don't do an IAB suite as many of those are not used by affiliates but for CPM advertising.
    I didn't know until Today that I wasn't supposed to be in here, but I wanted to post this.

I started adding links to my interior pages after this post last week or the week before, and I have to tell you,

WOW!

I have about 2200 pages ( many in my blog & bb ) that I have been adding links to and have to tell you that I can see instant results.

Still have 2000 pages to go.

Always knew that links were the way to go, but have been too lazy to implement it.

Sometimes the recession will make you do things that you have been putting off forever.

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

My own personal experience has shown that text works much better when it comes to sales. But like Haiko said earlier, I don't think you can discount the branding aspect of banners.
    Jason
    Jason
    [url=http://www.bhphoto.com/]B&H Photo[/url] :|: [url=http://www.bhphotovideo.com/find/affiliates.jsp]Join Our Affiliate Program[/url] :|: [URL=https://signup.cj.com/member/brandedPublisherSignUp.do?air_refmerchantid=2478435]Join on CJ[/URL]
    email: Jasonn at BHphoto.com

Again I have to agree with Haiko. Having a blend of methods is the best way to maximize income. Many affiliate are savvy enough to create their own links, and for a niche specific program like ours that pays off well. But I also find it worth more than my effort to have deals posted once a month, and a healthy choice of banners.

Exclamation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Hamrick
    Late to the party, but wrote about this subject in another thread and didn't get much reaction. Hoping this part of the ABW crowd has more to say.

Chuck, selfishly, I have to disagree with you on this one.

We've been using AM creatives as part of our remnant mix recently and I'm disappointed in the number of programs that offer a decent mix of IAB standard sizes.

As a former designer and art director, what really frustrates me is that it doesn't take that long to create multiple sizes. Once you have a solid idea and the other details worked out, a good designer can bang out a number of different-sized creatives in no time.

I just don't see what you wouldn't want to make this option available. Text links can be generated by the boatload in minutes. Why would it be such a big deal to knock out IAB standard banners?

We slipped one AM program into the remnant mix last month, generated a bunch of impressions, way above-average click-throughs and a solid conversion rate. The TOMA branding is icing on the cake.

So I guess I'm asking, why not?

Karl, you're breaking my heart! Years ago we would make a full set of 20 banners. As time became scarce we did some studies of our programs and determined that affiliates only use a short set of about a dozen sizes. We were adding several for the most popular sizes. The file size was kept to a minimum, 2-3 animated frames, never use flash, add a call to action.

Started to get requests for 88x31 which couponers use for a category listing. We scratched the 728x90 as it wasn't being used. Here is the list I recommend for a full set:

Needed Banner size
    1 88x31 Micro Bar
    1 120x60 Button
    1 120x90 Button
    3 100x100 Brand Logos
    1 120x600 Skyscraper
    3 125x125 Square
    1 120x240 Vertical Banner
    1 160x600 Wide Skyscraper
    1 234x60 Half
    1 250x250 Square Pop-Up
    1 300x250 Medium Rectangle
    3 468x60 Full Banner
    --------------------------------
    Total 18

Here is what we actually produce for a new program:

1 88x31 Micro Bar
    1 120x60 Button
    1 120x90 Button
    2 100x100 Brand Logos
    2 125x125 Square
    3 468x60 Full Banner
    --------------------------------
    Total 10

Will make you a deal, if you let me know what you feel are necessary IAB sizes I will produce those for all of my programs if I can get into your remnant inventory? We always produce additional banners at affiliate requests and make them available to all in the program.

This would make a great thread for the Affiliate Voice, having affiliates define what they want to see in a program as the standard for banners.

Chuck, Karl -- I'm showing my ignorance here. What is "IAB" and what does that have to do with banner sizes?

Never afraid to ask the "dumb" question!
    Generate more fake news.

Gary, good question!

Interactive Advertising Bureau abbreviated IAB is the full range of banner specs used for CPM banners.

I had to educate myself on TOMA Branding or Top of mind awareness. Top Of Mind Awareness (TOMA) is a way to measure how well brands rank in the minds of consumers.

Just goes to show that there is much to learn in online marketing and after 11 years I still don't know it all. Also makes me realize that Karl's site is in another league besides just affiliate marketing.

Ah, now I can relax for the day. I try to learn one or two new things everyday, then go back to sleep.

Now I've learned about IAB -- with a little TOMA Branding thrown in. LOL!
    Generate more fake news.

Chuck:

I know it's tough ... limited time & resources and you'll never please everyone!

We use three standard IAB sizes throughout our sites:

728 x 90
    300 x 250
    160 x 600

Although the L-recs (300 x 250) are in high demand, we still get some remnant in there; the other two sizes have abundant inventory.

We just started using the Monster - 300 x 600 - on the site of our former alternative weekly newspaper. The microbars (88 x 31) are not in regular use, but reserved for clients who want to sponsor a section.

I'll have to concur with Karl on this. I may be in the minority in my "need" for certain ad sizes, but I have a very high traffic site where 300x250 is the most sensible size to use in the premium spots, and it is very frustrating when a vendor that would be a good fit for my audience doesn't have a good selection of ad sizes available.

Best practice on the part of a merchant would be to have one of every banner category/design available in every standard size. If you don't have a particular ad in a particular size, then somewhere along the line you are cutting yourself out of a premium placement somewhere.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Manager - Affiliate Marketing Patrick Vesperman's Avatar
    The latest AffStat report covers this from a statistical standpoint.

http://www.affstat.com/

Manager - Affiliate Marketing Patrick Vesperman's Avatar
    Should banners have a call to action: "shop now" "browse"
    We put one on most of ours, but not all.

Absolutely, a call to action is direct marketing language that predates the Internet. Psychologically, it work on a sub conscious level instructing the buy to make the purchase.

18. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread