Mac Attack!
    The Mac villains have taken over my head and they are winning the Mac vs PC war this morning as I type! Heading to the Apple store with my affiliate pennies piggy bank at 11am.

I am sick of a slow machine running on Vista so I am throwing in the towel. Anyone have anything to add to make me change my mind with your experience? I basically have the usual AM apps running like dreamweaver, photoshop, excel, notepad, outlook up all the time and the machine is sooooooooo slow. Forget it if I have to make flash videos, I have to close all apps.

Didn't really do much research but found this one this morning. Awesome video!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLbJ8YPHwXM

Quote Originally Posted by ladidah
    The Mac villains have taken over my head and they are winning the Mac vs PC war this morning as I type! Heading to the Apple store with my affiliate pennies piggy bank at 11am.

I am sick of a slow machine running on Vista so I am throwing in the towel. Anyone have anything to add to make me change my mind with your experience? I basically have the usual AM apps running like dreamweaver, photoshop, excel, notepad, outlook up all the time and the machine is sooooooooo slow. Forget it if I have to make flash videos, I have to close all apps.

That is a cool video.

(BTW - Typed on a Mac. )
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    Very cool little movie.

Fun little move all right.

But what does it have to do with "real life"? We don't sit around in the make-believe world of Transformers/conquering robots all day do we? (Except for those of us who might be gammers, gaming affiliates?)

The Mac marketing and sales people are indeed clever people. Their computers? Totally unconvinced.
    Generate more fake news.

Before you spend all your pennies on a new mac there are several things you could do to upgrade you PC that will cost a lot less. You may just need more RAM.... Vista is a hog. Just a suggestion

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    My Pooter is slower than molasses on a cold day!

But I live with it because, although I make a living on my machine, the needs of my children and grand-children seem to come first.

My boat anchor is over 8 years old, while no one else has anything older than a couple of years and they all have to have GAMING enhancements to them as well.

I started out with a Mac back in the dinosaur days with a cutting edge machine that had an external hard drive that I think was 10 megs. -

I just bought my grand daughter a Dell that is a piece of and it isn't even 6 months old yet.

I would look into Mac options as well, if it weren't for the fortune I have spent on NON-Mac software.

Let us know how your endevour goes.

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

Remodguy, sorry to hear about the Dell. My husband just bought a refurbished Dell a few months ago and it runs Vista. He is happy with it and says it's pretty quick. I think it's all the apps I am running where he doesn't runny any.

Renee, RAM you say huh? I need to see how much I have. I actually have no clue about computers and only know how to click-tap-and-scroll. Drives my husband crazy :P

So, the appointment with the Mac "geniuses" has been postponed till tomorrow 10 am.

I purchased a new Vista desktop a few weeks ago and its lightning fast. I went with 8 GB of RAM because I always have tons of applications and windows and tabs open at once. It works great. IE 8 is also faster than IE 7 if you haven't upgraded yet. If you have less then 4GB of RAM, additional memory is probably what you need.

Wow, that is good news. I will have hubby check to see how much RAM this computer has and perhaps that is all I need. Curious, how much was an 8gb machine?

You can go to Start, Control Panel, System to see how much Memory (RAM) you have. It also should show as the system is booting up.

I spent $1200. I had it custom configured with a RAID drive (2 disks with one providing backup for the other) and with not the absolute best but a higher end processor, mother board, power supply, graphics card, 8GB RAM, etc. I am not a gamer but I like the way custom configured gaming systems use higher end parts and also extra fans in the cases, hopefully to provide a long life for the sytem. I get advice from my son, a gamer, on parts and he also advised me to research the reviews at newegg to verify that the parts I was considering are working well for others.

Thanks Cathy! Very informative and I followed your instructions.

I only have 2 RAM! So that must be it.

Your machine sounds very tricked out and your son sounds very knowledgeable. I am not a gamer too not because I don't like games but because I know if I get sucked into it I would not do anything else! Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by ladidah

Sounds to me like all you need is more ram on your computer.

Adding more ram will usually fix just about any computer problems you have.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

Vista is the worst OS i've ever seen/used. It's unbelievable. Do you know what is unbelievable? i can't do even simple things on vista. Like copy paste or selecting all files in a folder... Explorer are waiting like a wild cat to crash!

Windows xp is 3 times faster than Vista on any platform. Vista is epic fail and it's why Microsoft offer their vista customer downgrade to XP for free.

Hope Windows 7 will be better.
    Serkan Kutlubay
    myhosting.com - Affiliate Manager
    serkank/[@]/softcom.com
    myhosting: Private Forum, Shareasale, CJ, high commission, parasite free - Join Now!

I use a Toshiba laptop with Windows Vista Home Premium and 3 gigs of RAM.

I do have an occasional "freeze" or "lockup" or whatever -- usually not more than every three or four weeks if that often, and only when I get impatient enough to do the old "click ... click ... click ..." routine with something I'm trying to do with the mouse.

For the most part, it seems faster than my old machine with XP. And when I do have any problems like I mentioned in the last paragraph, Vista handles itself better than XP to isolate the offending app and not shut down the whole computer.

I don't think I especially like Vista or XP one better than the other. They're just different in the way they approach problems and functions. Some good, some bad in both.
    Generate more fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by emphimy
    Vista is the worst OS i've ever seen/used. It's unbelievable. Do you know what is unbelievable? i can't do even simple things on vista. Like copy paste or selecting all files in a folder... Explorer are waiting like a wild cat to crash!

Windows xp is 3 times faster than Vista on any platform. Vista is epic fail and it's why Microsoft offer their vista customer downgrade to XP for free.

Hope Windows 7 will be better.
    I've had Vista on my computer every since it came out and have never had any problems with it. It was on a new computer when I bought it and the computer was set up to run Vista. It's lighting fast on my computer. It's a HP desktop computer.

Vista requires more ram on your computer. Computers built for it came with more ram than usual.

People that upgraded to Vista on their old computer that was not built with enough ram for Vista have problems.

That can be solved by just adding more ram to your computer.

If you have at least 2gb of ram on your computer and it will not run Vista then something is wrong with your computer.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

My HP vista laptop (about a year old) has 3GB ram and has been fast & pretty much problem free.

A few months ago I got a Inspiron 530S with 8 MG RAM and it's faster than I imagined. Unfortunately the Vista 64 bit system won't run some programs. I bought it to run AutoCad and the latests version is still only 32 bit. I had to re-build my old Dimension 2400 to run AutoCad. I keep it offline and safe, but now the fan is starting to go out. Looking on Craigslist to find a cheap 2400 for spare parts.
    ~Ernie

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy
    If you have at least 2gb of ram on your computer and it will not run Vista then something is wrong with your computer.
    Interesting,
    i have 4 gb ram on my computer and instead of ram, vista have a stability problem. I have many friends who is complaining about Vista about same issues.

Anyway, since my laptop has no official driver pack for XP, i have to use Vista until Windows 7 release date.
    Serkan Kutlubay
    myhosting.com - Affiliate Manager
    serkank/[@]/softcom.com
    myhosting: Private Forum, Shareasale, CJ, high commission, parasite free - Join Now!

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread