Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Pricing and Plan Changes
    I was not aware of the pricing and plan changes for Popshops until seeing it mentioned here today. compare plans here

Does anyone know how and if existing accounts will be affected? I joined in September 2007. Has there been any mention of "grandfathering" in at the old rates and terms?

I want to start planning my strategy now if my monthly cost is going to triple. And as merchants keep lowering the commission percentages they're paying, it gets harder to cover costs and really make the time invested worthwhile.

"The journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

I emailed Jessie a week or so ago about this. I am considering upgrading to the data plan to play around with the api, but if I'm unable to accomplish what I want to would like to be able to downgrade back to the 'classic' $5 unlimited pro plan instead of the new $14.99 unlimited pro plan.

She said it would be ok, but I'd need to email to have it done manually and the price would be be $5.99 instead of $5 a month since the old price is no longer in the system.

So, yes... you are grandfathered as long as you don't change plans or if you do change, be sure to contact them first about it.

added: of course this is not official and hopefully Jessie can verify.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Thumbs down
    I don't mind a small raise to keep the "unlimited pro plan," but 300%?

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    wow, It is a big change! I'm not very surprised since "unlimited" could easily be thousands of tables, but 20 product tables seems extremely low.
    I'm working on a solution based on RSS.

I personnal think they should get ride of the "Free Plan" it might speed up their servers for the one who are willing to pay.

Talking
    Quote Originally Posted by kse
    I personnal think they should get ride of the "Free Plan" it might speed up their servers for the one who are willing to pay.
    but there are a lot of ppl who need to try before they buy . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Herb ԿԬ
    Yes Free for 30 to 60 days is fine but they have a Free Version that affiliates can use for ever and affiliates can have many accounts. So it is possible that an affiliate can have 50+ pages and not pay a thing. I just noticed that they now can only have 4 not ten as before which is better, But it is my option that a Free account should be for 30-60 days only.

Quote Originally Posted by Herb ԿԬ
    If someone isn't willing to invest six bucks ($5.99) for a "trial" month then one might wonder how serious they are about affiliate marketing. Having a "free" anything these days often attracts tire kickers, folks who want to see how much they can "get away with," and hackers.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Lightbulb
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    If someone isn't willing to invest six bucks ($5.99) for a "trial" month then one might wonder how serious they are about affiliate marketing. Having a "free" anything these days often attracts tire kickers, folks who want to see how much they can "get away with," and hackers.
    and there are people who won't invest anything but time until they see how something works.

Well with hosting we have to pay up front and ask for a refund with in 30 days. But my point was the Free acount they can use forever without paying anything..........

But if I paid $5.99 for everything I saw online that I wanted to try it sure would add up fast!

I received a very prompt reply from Jessie confirming that I was grandfathered in at my old rate. I'm happy and relieved to hear that.

Unhappy sucks
    I'm not too happy about this. After budgeting for the last week or so, I was going to upgrade this month... but now I can't afford it.

FYI, I think the pricing page has shown the new pricing structure since May 1, 2009 (two weeks ago).

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    If someone isn't willing to invest six bucks ($5.99) for a "trial" month then one might wonder how serious they are about affiliate marketing.
    Oh, and sometimes it can take me a long time just to make $5 -- so I'd be in the red.

Not everyone uses the tool.
    [And at the updated prices I don't think I will. I understand that PopShops is popular with many affiliates and I am happy for them - but the use of this tool is not a prerequisite for affiliate marketing]

I only use the free tools offered by the various networks.
    I've been engaged in affiliate marketing since 1998 -- I haven't become a millionaire yet but that doesn't make me a "tire kicker" or a "hacker."
    Last edited by Rhia7; May 14th, 2009 at 04:33 PM.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

WHAT IN THE WORLD IS GOING ON WITH THE POPSHOPS PEOPLE???

There -- did I get your attention? Hope so.

I find it totally outrageous that they would increase prices without telling their current customers about it, and explaining all the things folks are asking in this thread.

No excuse.

Sure, price increases are maybe needed -- though why I suddenly have to pay $14.99 a month now to get what I was getting for $5 last month, seems a bit extreme.

But above all else, there's simply no excuse for such changes without notification of their current customers.

Sadly, I have too many sites with a huge stake in popshops right now to simply quit the program.

I believe I was one of their earlier customers, and I've sung the praises of their great tools here and elsewhere around the internet -- yet THIS is the sort of mistreatment those of us who've been there for so long get??

Unacceptable.
    Generate more fake news.

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    Sure, price increases are maybe needed -- though why I suddenly have to pay $14.99 a month now to get what I was getting for $5 last month, seems a bit extreme.
    It's called "Bait & Switch"
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Just sent PopShops a rather lengthy "rant" similar to my post above via their contact email. Wonder how long it'll take someone to respond?

I noted their lack of input, so far, in this thread and felt they needed a push via their contact email.

Who knows why this happened as it did -- but it was at the very least poorly handled, in my opinion. Grrrrrrr!!!
    Generate more fake news.

Lightbulb did you notice?
    while there was no per-account notice given of the new price schedule, there wasn't a deadline specified, either.

I have hopes that there is a little "grandfathering" going to happen. Like I said above, I don't mind a little bump in price.

Don't panic anyone. If you missed my reply to my own original post, Jessie said my rate would NOT change. It sounds like maybe the new pricing structure is for NEW customers only.

Just email and ask if and how your account will be affected at renewal time. Good chance it won't be affected at all.

Talking
    Sadly, I have too many sites with a huge stake in...

- - -

Pricing and features (# shops, etc) for the plan that you subscribed to remains the same. You should see no changes as long as your account is active.

Jessie
    Jessie Jones
    Create your custom affiliate store with PopShops.
    General support: support [at] popshops.com | Merchant requests: merchants [at] popshops.com
    (Include your popshops login, your shop name, and the URL or merchant you have an issue with.)

Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    Just sent PopShops a rather lengthy "rant" similar to my post above via their contact email. Wonder how long it'll take someone to respond?

I noted their lack of input, so far, in this thread and felt they needed a push via their contact email.

Who knows why this happened as it did -- but it was at the very least poorly handled, in my opinion. Grrrrrrr!!!
    You know, as a writer, I've always wanted to quote myself. This is the first time I've actually done that.

I want to make it clear that I just got an email response to the above post from Jessie, explaining what is in Jessie's post here.

I apologize for any rude or harsh behavior in this thread -- should have taken a few deep breaths and handled myself better. Sorry. No excuse. Just rude.
    Generate more fake news.

Ok, NOW I'm angry. Jumping from $5 to $14.99 is one thing, but now to $29.99 for unlimited shops?! WTH?! I thought Popshops was a GOOD company. Not one that would pull a 600% price increase in 2 months! That's reserved for corporate thieves and bait-and-switch companies! There is no way I'd be able to cover costs with prices like that!

So much for Popshops. I don't see the point in paying for that and planning to upgrade in the future only to find out the price jumps to $359.94 two months from now for the Data Plan. I can only see myself ending up leaving. I don't want to work with a company who would increase prices by 600% without any warning at all. That's just wrong.

I mean, seriously. Your Pro Plan for $5.99 only gives me 20 shops, then the price jumps almost 600% for unlimited shops. That's UNLIMITED, like, INFINITY. There should be a plan somewhere in the middle. 20 shops isn't enough and unlimited is just too much. I wouldn't need more than 200 shops. And with an unlimited plan for $29.99, I'd have to have much more than that in my niche to make any sort of profit. It just doesn't make sense.

Back to the drawing board!

Quote Originally Posted by michelle.foreverwed
    ...... There should be a plan somewhere in the middle. ......
    There is. Pro-Unlimited Plan at 14.99/month. The 29.99 plan adds other very useful features. http://www.popshops.com/signup

Overall, PopShops is priced quite reasonably for the services offered.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Ok it wasn't there when I just looked.

On another board, someone said this, "Personally, I think Popshops price increase is ridiculous. Way to high! I don't think it should be more than $14.99 pr month. A jump from $5.99 to $29.99 is a but silly!"

So I'm not the only one who saw only the $29.99 price.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast