Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    One of "those" days
    Besides being infused with my crazy "housekeeper's" insane energy, I tried to, once again, figure out how to install blog software on my domain. I've been trying to get this set up for more than a year and every time I try, something technical comes up that baffles me and I run. Now I'm just pissed off. LOL

My current host, who I am not at all happy with, has changed their great customer support to "now you gotta pay for it." - So, I got on the phone to another hosting company and instead of getting me to someone who could help me in my confusion, the person who answered the phone asked me so many questions I couldn't answer, I just hung up.

I don't have the tolerance for one more inch of bullsh!t today. *sigh*

OK, I don't feel better but I had to vent. LOL - Might be time to chill out, shut down the computer and pretend I didn't create the monster I did that needs constant attention, feeding and updating.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Affiliate Manager
    Sorry about the bad day. Tomorrow will be better.
    Last edited by SlowCooker; May 14th, 2009 at 11:45 PM.

Do you have Fantastico in your host's cpanel? If so, installing WordPress is virtually a one click install.

Quote Originally Posted by VampireSkunk
    Do you have Fantastico in your host's cpanel? If so, installing WordPress is virtually a one click install.
    Nope - I had it with another host I paid all last year before I finally gave up and cancelled th account because even with Fantastico and the 1 click install, I was baffled. LMAO - I want to be able to install it on my domain, not have to Micky Mouse 2 different domains to work together.

Might be time to get serious about moving hosting - it's such a PITA. Resistance is futile ... might be time to move on and accept that. ;-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Quote Originally Posted by SlowCooker
    Sorry about the bad day. Tomorrow will be better.
    Thanks SlowCooker - you bet tomorrow will be better - always is. :-)
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

I'm in Thailand so I can't call you to talk you through it.

Do you want it to go in the root domain or a subdirectory?

www.mydomain.com or www.mydomain.com/blog ?

Or - do you want to say what points baffled you and someone will be able to answer if not me.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    I've done quite a few manual installs (more control than using the 1-click installs (that always take more than 1-click to run).

unless they're running old server software or keep you from setting up a mysql database, you should get it installed without much trouble. Where did you get stuck?

I'm in Thailand so I can't call you to talk you through it.

Do you want it to go in the root domain or a subdirectory?

www.mydomain.com or www.mydomain.com/blog ?

Or - do you want to say what points baffled you and someone will be able to answer if not me.
    Thanks VS - How long have you been in Thailand??

I'm about to go drag my future son-in-law out of the living room to help. He is evidently proficient in MySQL so he should be able to handle this.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

actually a manual install doesn't require any special mysql skills you just need to create a database and have the database name, user, and password your webhost should have some kind of control panel where you can create the user/pass/database.

you upload the wordpress files (ftp) to the server and then go to the address you uploaded the files to and wordpress will ask you for that and the installer creates the tables, etc.

That's basically it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rexanne
    Thanks VS - How long have you been in Thailand??

I'm about to go drag my future son-in-law out of the living room to help. He is evidently proficient in MySQL so he should be able to handle this.
    Been here a few weeks. Just had a huge downpour of wonderful rain and it's actually cool enough to venture out without suffering heatstroke, so I'm just about to go out on my first extended walk.

If you run into any problems with the install just post here and LD or myself or someone will have an answer.

Rexanne,

Do you want something like www.site.com/blog/ or blog.site.com or do you want to convert your site to run a blog so that when someone goes to the site it's a blog, which is easier for you to maintain?

If you want to do either of the first two, as others have said it's pretty easy through cpanel and ftp. I setup one last night in about 5 minutes.

If you want to convert your site to run a blog, that may not be a good idea. You're indexed in the engines and changing a long time established site is tricky. You need to do a lot of 301 redirects from the old pages to the new ones.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Quote Originally Posted by lostdeviant
    actually a manual install doesn't require any special mysql skills you just need to create a database and have the database name, user, and password your webhost should have some kind of control panel where you can create the user/pass/database.

you upload the wordpress files (ftp) to the server and then go to the address you uploaded the files to and wordpress will ask you for that and the installer creates the tables, etc.

That's basically it.
    OY MG! SIL got Msql set up and WP installed, not a problem but now I can't get into WP - have no clue what the user name is. LMAO - Seriously, this has been a thorn for more than a year. I SO want to give up but I refuse not master this beast. *sigh*

Thank you for explaining Chris. I so appreciate everyone's help and support.

ABW members won't LET you have a nervous breakdown. LOL
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Quote Originally Posted by knight01
    Rexanne,

Do you want something like www.site.com/blog/ or blog.site.com or do you want to convert your site to run a blog so that when someone goes to the site it's a blog, which is easier for you to maintain?

If you want to do either of the first two, as others have said it's pretty easy through cpanel and ftp. I setup one last night in about 5 minutes.

If you want to convert your site to run a blog, that may not be a good idea. You're indexed in the engines and changing a long time established site is tricky. You need to do a lot of 301 redirects from the old pages to the new ones.
    Thanks Knight! I wasn't thinking about converting my site which I certainly don't want to do. Thank you for pointing that out. Might have screwed myself up good.

At this point, think I'm gonna set up another host and open the blog there on a different domain. Then once I'm OK with the new host, get my site off the crappy host I've been with for more than 10 years. They were great the first few years and had the very best customer support but now they've gone too far wanting to charge for tech support out of the blue and making it so nuts trying to do a simple install.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

OY MG! SIL got Msql set up and WP installed, not a problem but now I can't get into WP - have no clue what the user name is.
    If I remember correctly Wordpress e-mails your admin password to the e-mail address you give it during installation.

It also displays it on screen at the end of the installation but if you've gone past that page without making a note of it it's no help.

If I remember correctly Wordpress e-mails your admin password to the e-mail address you give it during installation.

It also displays it on screen at the end of the installation but if you've gone past that page without making a note of it it's no help.
    I have the password, just not the user name they expect. LOL - It took about 15 tries for MySQL to accept a password so I had to write that down or I'd never remember it. The user name can only be 1 of 4 potentials so no clue what's going on. I'm currently blaming my host and sending raving emails to their customer support. LOL

I chilled a long time ago - been playing backgammon - going between mail and the table. :-)

I WILL master this beast, just might take a while longer than I planned. :-)

Thanks for being here guys. This is ABW at its finest.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

Unless you changed it the login is admin - but the password isn't the mysql password - it's one wordpress generates for you (you can change it to anything else you like once you log in)

Unless you changed it the login is admin - but the password isn't the mysql password - it's one wordpress generates for you (you can change it to anything else you like once you log in)
    Ah - I see where I'm being confused - I didn't get anything from Wordpress, just MySQL - Gonna go back and see if there's any info directly from WP. Thank you VS!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

was gonna give ya a hug but after reading thru all this not sure ya still need it. Hug for ya anyway

Don't know if this is a common practice or not but if you decide to move your hosting, Hostgator will move it one time for you and they don't charge ya anything.

I've been sayin I'm gonna get brave and do a blog but still haven't done it. I use FP like you (not sure ya still do) and upload stuff thru it so have been confused bout even starting the blog. lol So...you've definitely achieved more than me. lol I've got the Fantastico, too where it's just the one click install. lol Hope everything works out and ya have a better day

Looks like you're getting this all sorted out! A very nice WP plugin to use is the automatic WP upgrader so you don't have to reinvent the wheel:
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/...matic-upgrade/
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

aah the joys of doing a manual install in the middle of the night. I suppose you're asleep now, but I believe your user is admin since that is what mine always is, and I think the installer gives you your password after it installs, but unless it emailed it to you ( I don't remember if it does that or not) you lost it by not writing it down when you closed the window. When you log in, you can go to the user menu and change it to one you remember.

If that's the case you could just run the install again, but you'd probably have to delete the config.php file in the directory you installed it in and in your webhost control panel drop the tables in your database OR set up a new database (could keep the same db user).

Quote Originally Posted by JoyUnltd
    Looks like you're getting this all sorted out! A very nice WP plugin to use is the wordpress-automatic-upgrade so you don't have to reinvent the wheel:
    http://wordpress.org/extend/plugins/...matic-upgrade/
    That plugin was created before Wordpress added online upgrading and plugin updates since then both have been added. Now it seems pretty redundant. I deleted that plugin from my sites as soon as I had upgraded them to 2.7.
    Have they added any new features that wordpress doesn't handle now?

Talking
    Besides being infused with my crazy "housekeeper's" insane energy, I tried to, once again, figure out how to install blog software on my domain. I've been trying to get this set up for more than a year and every time I try, something technical comes up that baffles me and I run. Now I'm just pissed off. LOL

My current host, who I am not at all happy with, has changed their great customer support to "now you gotta pay for it." - So, I got on the phone to another hosting company and instead of getting me to someone who could help me in my confusion, the person who answered the phone asked me so many questions I couldn't answer, I just hung up.

I don't have the tolerance for one more inch of bullsh!t today. *sigh*

OK, I don't feel better but I had to vent. LOL - Might be time to chill out, shut down the computer and pretend I didn't create the monster I did that needs constant attention, feeding and updating.

Hi Newbie.

Welcome to ABW.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

http and a telephoto
    If you are still having problems, we'll be over tomorrow to fix it
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by lostdeviant
    That plugin was created before Wordpress added online upgrading and plugin updates since then both have been added. Now it seems pretty redundant. I deleted that plugin from my sites as soon as I had upgraded them to 2.7.
    Have they added any new features that wordpress doesn't handle now?
    Da doh, haven't checked, just let it sit there!! Thanx for the update
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

Quote Originally Posted by BurgerBoy
    Hi Newbie.

Welcome to ABW.
    LOL - yeah, I'm one of those tech challenged individuals who made it work anyway. Geesh, crazy making stuff!

LD, I finally got in by using admin as the login. Thank you!

Lox, I might need you to help me figure out how to work the blog - I got in but have no clue how to manage, change or add stuff. Don't want to work you, just want to feed you and Vin - we'll see how far I get by tomorrow night. :-)

Thanks again everyone - you make this gig so much less lonely!
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast