What are the responsibilities of an “AM” other than to act as a conduit replying to inquiries from affiliates?

The reason I ask is they seem to get paid a lot of money for simply being a liaison.

Or are their responsibilities other than that?

Or what should they do and accomplish for their companies?

I suppose this question is somewhat different for an inhouse vs an outside consultant.

Mary

I'm sure an Affiliate Manager could probably add quite a bit to this list, but here's a start:

<UL TYPE=SQUARE><LI>Recruit affiliates
    <LI>Update banners and links
    <LI>Take action against fraud or questionable practices
    <LI>Keep affiliates up to date on promotions
    <LI>Motivate affiliates to put up links
    <LI>Motivate affiliates to increase sales
    <LI>Review and approve commissions/checks
    <LI>Handle affiliate emails and calls
    <LI>Coordinate technical aspects such as tracking, reporting, and datafeeds
    <LI>Handle special needs of larger affiliates[/list]A good Affiliate Manager makes a HUGE difference.

Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by MichaelColey:
    I'm sure an Affiliate Manager could probably add quite a bit to this list, but here's a start:

+ Recruit affiliates
    + Update banners and links
    + Take action against fraud or questionable practices
    + Keep affiliates up to date on promotions
    + Motivate affiliates to put up links
    + Motivate affiliates to increase sales
    + Review and approve commissions/checks
    + Handle affiliate emails and calls
    + Coordinate technical aspects such as tracking, reporting, and datafeeds
    + Handle special needs of larger affiliatesA good Affiliate Manager makes a HUGE difference.

Michael Coley
    http://www.amazing-bargains.com<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I agree... good AM's earn us affiates more CASH

And, that's the bottom line because it's my2cents!

What Michael & my2cents said.

Karl Smith >>> phillyBurbs - Your Internet Starts Here
    ---------
    Beware Parasiteware! It is stealing your money! >>> click here to learn more

Hey Mary,

Really it is a two way street ... when I started with my position as AM at myrxforless.com I was making little. However after I released my template website (600 plus pages) the affiliate were able to produce more sales and my pay went up ;-)

I think you will find that most AM that are making nice summs of money truely are working for those commissions. Most affiliate managers pay is in direct coralation to affiliate sales so infact those affiliate managers need to support, educate, motivate and generally help their affilaites to succeed.

My pay seams like a fair trade off too me ;-) The company I work for had very little to loose with me coming onboard, I was the one that took the gamble.

I spent several weeks setting up the template site, time is money.

Cheers,

Brian Johnson (Chef Brian)
    Seek and you shall find
    myrxforless.com | My Affiliate Programs

ABW Ambassador
    imvho

An Affiliate Manager is the President of a virtual separate division of the
    merchant company and reports directly to the president of that company.
    Compensation is based upon profitability. He/She runs that division like
    it's his/her own company and hires and/or fires independent contractors with
    special skills to accomplish a set of realistic goals.

A short list of self-imposed responsibilities might read like the following:

Continuing Education of Merchant Management.
    Anticipate special needs of productive affiliates.
    Negotiate and renegotiate with the networks to insure THEY are in compliance
    with the terms of their agreements.
    Continually deal with Customer Service issues to insure customer retention.
    Recruit additional motivated affiliates with the proven skills to succeed.
    Build relationships with each member of the divisions TEAM which includes
    the affiliates.
    Take action against fraud or questionable practices if and when it becomes
    necessary.
    Review and approve LARGE commissions/checks.

Delegate busy work to an assistant and supervise assistant as needed.
    The assistants first function is to eliminate NOISE so that the AM can focus
    on his/her goals.

[there may be other ideas]

Mike Mackin

Affiliate Manager
    Obviously it will bary at different companies- but here all of the following fall into aour team of account managers-

<UL TYPE=SQUARE>
    <LI>forward motion of the program - ideas for improvement- small as a new form or big as a complete change to the program
    <LI>answers to questions- Our first affiliate still writes in with questions, as do our brand new ones every day- things like comission questions, link clarification etc
    <LI>Troubleshooting and trouble digging - AMs are responsable for finding problems before affiliates in many cases. They are constantly looking at websites to find bad links, typos in phone numbers, design changes that negatively influenced numbers...They dig up problems by running number constantly for affliates- look to book, sales, cancels- finding good and bad trends that need to be investigated
    <LI>informing affiliates- newsletter, affiliate center, databases- all need to be kept updated. Most account managers also have custom lists they use for informing specific affiliates of new hotels, cities, specials etc.
    <LI>Research- Ams help many top affiliates with market research- we will run Web Position to help make custom key word lists for an affiliate, we run web trends for a number of affiliates to help them monitor placement.
    <LI>Travel - Attend industry functions and meet with affiliates
    <LI>Project Management - assisting in programming and design aspects of many top sites- specifically xml sites in our world
    <LI>marketing- we keep an extensive what worked, what didn't, what great ideas have we seen file - AMs use this to help affiliates market their site- again using out spend time or money approach
    <LI>I could keep going- but I think this is a good start[/list]

I'm lucky to have a whole team of Account Managers- but we also have a higher volume of affiliates than many programs (we've been around a long time). Our mantra has always been just ask. We can't do everything- but some of our best ideas have come from affiliates asking for some dream item. The more you contact your account manager and ask for- the more you'll realize they can do!

Jessica Hutson
    Senior Manager of Affiliate Relations/Development
    Interactive Affiliate Network

A parasite free contract since June 2001
    http://ian.com

I find that most of the AM's that frequent ABW care about the affiliates, not just because they need them for a paycheck... but because they care about the people...

This is smart..

I believe.. if i help someone become sucessful..

I am rewarded many times more then just being compensated for helping them... many times I make a friend...

and I add a new member to my family with each new friendship...

Being an AM is a lot like MLM...

in that the more you help the more you recieve...

This is a really great tread,.. thanks for all your comments...

Joe

And, that's the bottom line because it's my2cents!

ABW Ambassador
    >Being an AM is a lot like MLM...

If that is true then why are there no Egyptian AM's out there.

For most MLMs, the product is really a mere diversion from the real profit-making dynamic.
    We all know what is really going on with MLMs. We just don't use the word "pyramid".

Mike Mackin

Affiliate Marketing Consultant Linda - 5starAffiliatePrograms's Avatar
    "the more you help the more you recieve..."

That's how I like to think of it. I got in this business because I love helping others to be successful and I feel the more you give the more you receive. I wish I could just help and support affiliate all day.

However, more and more a big part of being an AM these days is the role of playing "cop!"
    Policing policies and ethics, hunting down parasites, tracking fraud, doing DOUBLE due diligence on new partners and having to be suspicious of everyone.

All this extra police time takes positive energy and time away from the honest affiliates that deserve the extra attention.
    I wish everyone would just play fair, but I guess whenever money is involved, ethics come into play and I guess. Other than playing cop, I really love being an AM.

Linda Buquet 714.754.1280 :: Catalyst eMarketing Promotion & PR (Partner Relations)
    <font color="#0000FF">5 Star Affiliate Programs</font> :: High Paying, Parasite-Free, Partner-Centered Merchants!

I'll tell you one thing. I spend about an hour every day answering emails from affiliates. My fingers function a lot doing this

Akiva Bergstrom, Affiliate Partner Manager
    Email: akiva@affsolutions.com | AIM: akivabergs | ICQ: 240820068

<FONT SIZE=1> M A N A G E D P R O G R A M S

<FONT SIZE=1>> EssentialApparel.com - CJ/7.5% to 8.5%/120 days/Datafeed/Parasite free > Join now! <
    <FONT SIZE=1>> SportsFanfare.com - CJ/10%/120 days/Datafeed/Parasite free - > Join now! <
    <FONT SIZE=1>> FunToCollect.com - CJ/11%/120 days Datafeed/Parasite free - > Join now! <
    <FONT SIZE=1>> FragranceWholesale.com - CJ/10%/120 days/Datafeed/Parasite free - > Join now! <
    <FONT SIZE=1>> PetCareCentral.com - CJ/10%/120 days/Datafeed/Parasite free - > Join now! <

Great input and explanations.
    It seems that the one point I didn’t realize was the motivation factor.

What do the AM’s do to motivate affiliates? I understand that 95% of the signed up affiliates don’t produce. Do you contact them or the 5% that do produce?
    I’m in several programs and haven’t heard from an AM unless I ask a question.

Mary

I would think that it may vary from AM to AM depending on their job description. However, I guess it poses the question--would all affiliates want to hear from the AM on a regular basis? What sort of motivational things would you like to receive?

Me? Personally, I think it would be nice to get some acknowledgement for a good month or some encouragement (and possibly a brainstorm) following a not-so-good month.

I view the AM / Affiliate relationship as one of commitment. This can only get stronger if contact is made BEYOND a newsletter or response to a question.

What does everyone else think?

Mark

--
    Mark Vitale
    Crosstown Traders
    520.745.4500 x4687
    520.747.1068 FAX
    mark.vitale@amo.com

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> However, I guess it poses the question--would all affiliates want to hear from the AM on a regular basis? What sort of motivational things would you like to receive?

Me? Personally, I think it would be nice to get some acknowledgement for a good month or some encouragement (and possibly a brainstorm) following a not-so-good month.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's two different things. Motivation isn't the same as acknowlegement and encouragement.

MOTIVATION: For me, try a time-limited promotion (SpecificWidget will pay $X more than usual this month). But only if you're willing to make it last long enough for me to do anything with it! Little 3-day jobbies don't have a chance to get indexed even in Inktomi, so make it last a decent length of time. To *grow* sales, you need to motivate sites that do NOT already have traffic looking for your item. If the traffic's there already, chances are your affiliates are also already putting your items in front of those people.

CONTACT/BRAINSTORMING:
    That depends on the program. Some programs it'd be okay to get more contact (email) from. Others I would prefer not to hear from at all!

It's hard to quantify just what makes the difference sometimes, but some things I can think of are:

If things are selling okay, then I don't have much use for contact. It's working--I keep the pages up, you keep cutting the checks, no need to talk about it!

If things are selling wonderfully, then pucker up. Gifts, awards, etc. are all nice. And nothing beats the good old CASH BONUS.

Now for the part that gives me the most aggravation.

When a merchant's items AREN'T selling well: Make sure you LOOK at how many sites I have you on, how you're being promoted, etc. before sending any "hints!" I don't know if you (Mark Vitale) have ever sent out "blind hints" or not. Hopefully not!

I don't like to get unsolicited hints in any case--but when it's clear that the AM didn't even look at what I was doing presently, that makes it even worse! I've had things like: A guy asked for more placement when his DUD program was on 4 sites already. Someone else asked me if I wanted more banners, when their page was on a site that doesn't use banners anywhere. One (the *owner* of the place, no less!) kept asking me if I could "do better in Google"--even though I was #2 under their keywords (right under them). It seems obvious that in all of these cases, the AMs hadn't bothered to take a look at the situation, and therefore didn't know what they were talking about. A couple of clicks is all it would have taken any of them to tailor their comments to the actual situation!

This last peeve deserves to be set off for emphasis. AMs--DO NOT tell me your Item is going into its "hot sales" period in the OFF season! For instance, don't even try to convince me that fall is a good time to sell hammocks. Or that people above the southermost tier of states want jogging strollers in the dead of winter. Or that summer's a great time to sell coats. Etcetera.

On the other hand, if the commentary is both INFORMED and INSIGHTFUL it's usually a lot more encouraging!

~Cheapskate merchants need not apply

Wow. Someone tried to pass off Hammocks as being a hot item in the fall? I agree, I would get torked at receiving an unsolicited e-mail suggestion with that in it (almost SPAM).

Huh, that's right up there with selling beachfront property here in Arizona...

Mark

--
    Mark Vitale
    Crosstown Traders
    520.745.4500 x4687
    520.747.1068 FAX
    mark.vitale@amo.com

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread