Terminated...
    Don't you love it when you join a program, put up links, and actually get a sale within the first week or so. And then when you've been in the program for less than a month, you get an obviously erroneous email stating you've been terminated for inactivity, over the weekend when you can't get in touch with the merchant. Do I leave the inactive links up hoping this will be resolved on Monday? Do I take everything down and put them back up when it's resolved? I want to work with this merchant, so I don't want to just say "screw it" and pull all links down. Argh!

I've been getting more termination notices than I know what to do with, mostly from programs I've just started to really promote and really WANT to promote. FRUSTRATING!!!!
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

Very frustrating!

I guess it depends on how much PPC traffic you are sending into the page. You don't want to waste your paid traffic by showing links that are no longer active. Otherwise, it depends on how much work you are willing to put in.

If you want to ultimately work with the merchant, then leaving them in place and doing everything you can to plead your case on Monday might be worthwhile. I have had luck in many cases with appealing a terminiation notice. Sometimes just making a contact lets the affiliate manager know that you are actively managing an effort to promote their offers.

If you are getting lots of termination notices, do you know the reason? Lots of links with no traffic going to them? Sending bad traffic? Some policy infringement on your part? Figure out what it is and try to sove the problem. Otherwise, try to have more contact with your affiliate managers so they know who you are and what you are doing.
    [URL=http://www.investeverymonth.com]InvestEveryMonth.com[/URL] - Build Wealth

No PPC to that site, so it's not costing me much to keep the links up.

I have contacted many of the merchants that have terminated me and they all seem to be "downsizing" and getting rid of some of the less active affiliates. I have asked some of them what I need to do to stay in the program and they really won't answer. They won't even let me re-apply later. Argh. Usually, my last contact with them is to send them a link to the ABW thread on why you shouldn't terminate affiliates. LOL.

Some of them are more reasonable and ask how I am currently or will soon be promoting them, what site, etc. Those, I expect, I will be able to get back into. In fact, I have gotten back into some programs after pleading my case and are now generating sales for them, including a few large sales.

I just can't stand the ones that won't work with you though!!
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.

I have been doing the termination-reactivation cha cha with this one merchant also. I don't know what the scoop is but I get the termination email and then a few days later the reactivation email. Then the next week, the same thing. Now when I see the termination email, I don't do anything because I know that it will be reactivated but what if I get sales in between? I haven't had any sales with them actually so I doubt that there will any in the short period, but it is just bizarre.

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    When I go into CJ email system, I see a list of 21 merchants who have dropped me for no other reason than lack of sales or lack of substantial sales.

Quote Originally Posted by meadowmufn
    I've been getting more termination notices than I know what to do with,
    Is there a network that seems to have more of these goofy merchants than others. I'm thinking Linkshare but might be wrong.

I'd leave the links up as it's not costing you any money
    I get emails from CJ frequently stating that the advertiser has stopped running their program and then hours later they send another email stating that they are back up. Bizzare
    [URL="http://www.affiliatemarketingintro.com"]Affiliate Marketing Basics[/URL]

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    It should take 7 days for a standard termination to kick in when it's a CJ merchant. So, leave your links up until you've talked to them.

Of course, if the merchant tells you they won't reactivate you, then rip links immediately, because in that case, they will often just reverse those last sales. But if they agree to reactivate, then the sales should be safe (if they still reverse on you, YOU might want to terminate THEM!).
    There is no knowledge that is not power. ~Hemingway

Not really sure I've gotten any emails sayin they've terminated me by mistake. Guess if I were to get any I felt were really a mistake I'd just leave the links up til I could get hold of em to find out.

Not sure if it's lack of patience, possibly gettin wiser lol probably lack of patience. lol But...in beginning I'd take it personally and would plead my case but unless it's reaaaaaaaally a merchant I don't wanna give up (which can't think of any those would be that I'm not gettin sales from and in that case don't think they'd be terminating me) when I get termination emails now, I just remove the links and move on.

Figure if they're lookin to dump some of their affiliates, they don't really want me and guess goes back to the lack of patience lol but I just don't wanna spend my time on anybody who really doesn't want me to be in their program. Don't wanna work with "get active or else" type of mentality anymore cos even if I plead my case and don't get terminated.......there's always the next time they feel like havin the trigger happy mentality. There's too many other merchants I can spend my time on and wanna concentrate on those who do appreciate me.

Just cos ya don't get sales now and may think ya never will......realize it can change at any time. Have gotten sales from merchants I never thought I woulda. So, yeap still does hurt to be terminated but just doesn't get to me the way it used to. Honestly now figure it's somethin stupid that they're doin and their loss. Not in anyway meaning that to sound conceited cos don't have a conceited bone in my body lol just that doesn't make any sense to me whatsoever to terminate any affiliate unless they're violating terms.

Have had merchants I didn't get sales from in very beginning but asked to be reinstated when I explained I had a more focused way of promoting em now, was reinstated and did get sales but only if I reaaaaaally wanna be in a program will I ask to be reinstated anymore.

Affiliate Manager
    As a merchant, I would never terminate for inactivity. As long as an affiliate has my link and has traffic on their site, there is always an opportunity for a sale.

Quote Originally Posted by SlowCooker
    As a merchant, I would never terminate for inactivity. As long as an affiliate has my link and has traffic on their site, there is always an opportunity for a sale.
    That simple piece of logic seems to escape the attention of many merchants.

This latest merchant that dropped me was on Linkshare, but the majority of the terminations I've gotten lately have been from CJ.

One merchant at CJ decided to "reduce the size" of its affiliate program so it could make sure everybody was "in compliance". So I basically asked what could I do to make sure I was in compliance (even though I'm sure I was already in compliance) so I could stay in the program. I just got a canned response saying they're reducing the size of their affiliate program and they wish me luck in the future. They won't even let me re-apply. I'm on auto-decline or something. Grrrrr...

Quote Originally Posted by niche
    I get emails from CJ frequently stating that the advertiser has stopped running their program and then hours later they send another email stating that they are back up. Bizzare
    CJ has a minimum balance requirement that advertisers must maintain to pay commissions. If an advertiser's account drops below the minimum and they do not fund the account, CJ will temporarily deactivate their account until the account balance is replenished. This deactivation triggers a notice to all publishers joined to their program. When the account is replenished, a reactivation notice is sent. It is not difficult to avoid this issue - some AMs just don't pay attention.
    [B]Jeff DeBo[/B] | Sr. Marketing Manager - Affiliate
    [URL=http://www.connectcommerce.com/secure/partner_app_alt.html?ccmid=K217424]ProFlowers[/URL] | [URL=http://www.connectcommerce.com/secure/partner_app_alt.html?ccmid=K302833]Personal Creations[/URL] | [URL=http://www.connectcommerce.com/secure/partner_app_alt.html?ccmid=K21765]RedEnvelope[/URL] | [URL=http://www.connectcommerce.com/secure/partner_app_alt.html?ccmid=K220460]Cherry Moon Farms[/URL] | [URL=http://www.connectcommerce.com/secure/partner_app_alt.html?ccmid=K220455]Shari's Berries[/URL]

P: (858) 909-4203 | E: jdebo(at)providecommerce(dot)com

The worst is when I get terminated from a service I use, enjoy, and am highly passionate about. You'd think they'd WANT glowing testimonials... Guess not.

I have crossed the threshold. I'm now in full blown "screw it" mode and taking down links (and even entire sites if warranted).

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread