ABW Ambassador
    PopShops is Down
    The PopShops website is down. None of my shops are loading on my websites.

Just checked, same here. No shops loading.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

ABW Ambassador
    Appears to be back online now.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    It is down again. I was just bug testing a new script and found this in my error log... appropriate stuff replaced by "*"

[17-May-2009 08:29:15] PHP Warning: couldn't connect to host in /home/****/public_html/****/wp-content/plugins/popshops/popshops.php on line 358

Appears to be back online now.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

So what's new. There seems to be a new thread started about PopShops being down every day.

Vietnam Veteran 1966-1970 USASA
    ABW Forum Rules - Advertise At ABW

I was updating some shops this morning and started getting error messages about cannot find server - between 9:00 and 9:30. Same thing happened last time I tried to do updates. Just picking bad hours to work I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by 2busy
    I was updating some shops this morning and started getting error messages about cannot find server - between 9:00 and 9:30. Same thing happened last time I tried to do updates. Just picking bad hours to work I guess.
    Ahh-Haa, so it's YOUR fault.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..

How did Popshops get voted Best Tool in 2007 & 2008 here at ABW??? I like the product but with the slowness and downtime their is now reason why people here should have voted them "Best Tool" for two years in a row.

ABW Ambassador
    kse - I have to admit, I'm not happy about the recent downtime but to be truthful, this isn't the norm for PopShops. They actually have very little downtime. Name one tool available to affiliates that doesn't have downtime, including the networks.

I know PS has been rolling out new features and intergrading new large datafeeds (Amazon). So perhaps they are just having some growing pains. I still think they offer an awesome service at a great price.

If you're not happy then you don't have to use them. As affiliates we have options.

I know that I have a choice with using them, I have been playing with their product and have paid for an account but I fund they have alot of unexplained down time. Not once have they ever told use why all of the down time the last 3 month's or so. Also most companies have redundecy or fall over systems to reduce the amount of dead time. I think that they have a good product but unless they can control the amount of downtime affiliates will stop paying for their product.

The reason for my comments is not bash them I would like them to focus on their availablity and speed first and after that they can test and add new features slowly and not cause all of their outages.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by kse
    The reason for my comments is not bash them I would like them to focus on their availablity and speed first and after that they can test and add new features slowly and not cause all of their outages.
    That I totally agree with and yes it would be nice to hear from PS about why they are having the downtime lately. I like the new features but not at the expense of my shops being offline.

My only point to my post above was in regards to your comment "How did Popshops get voted Best Tool in 2007 & 2008?" They offer a good service, the current downtime issue doesn't change that fact.

Quote Originally Posted by msladybug
    They offer a good service, the current downtime issue doesn't change that fact.
    Actually it does. Features alone don't make for a good or great service. Availability has to be factored in also. As their availability decreases, so does their usefulness as a service.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Quote Originally Posted by rematt
    Actually it does. Features alone don't make for a good or great service. Availability has to be factored in also. As their availability decreases, so does their usefulness as a service.

-rematt
    Every minute that a pervasive service such as PopShops is off line there are hundreds of thousands of affiliate pages also off line. That is costing lost revenue for many, many affiliates, networks and merchants.

PopShops has a truly outstanding suite of products. They are unique and, quite possibly, unbeatable in today's market. However, they may need to hold the line on additional feature rollouts until the reliability issue can ramp up into failsafe status.

Can failsafe really be attained? Hmmm...registrars that run DNS, such as GoDaddy and Enom, seem to have done so by having redundant nameservers in diverse locations. The same should be attainable with database servers (isn't that what nameservers are?). Imagine what would happen if NetSol would crash 10,000,000 domain names - even if for only a couple minutes at at time?

I have no idea whether or not PopShops has outside investors (venture capital?). But if so, maybe the good people we know may not be the only ones pulling the strings.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by rematt

-rematt
    rematt - I agree, I'm not stating that it doesn't. All those factors are important. The FACT I'm talking about is that they were voted Best Affiliate Tool for 2007 & 2008. The way that kse stated that question/comment makes it sound like they didn't deceive it then.

They may not get the vote this year but they have in the past provided a good/great service. That's all I'm saying.

As I said above, I'm not at all happy with all the downtime lately.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by msladybug
    The way that kse stated that question/comment makes it sound like they didn't deserve it then.
    Oops, correction to the sentence above.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    Even with the frequent downtime, I can't think of any serious competition for what they do, but many are of course motivated to find or create other solutions after seeing the service down multiple times.

If you have a problem logging in or don't see your shops load, please do write us immediately with the word [URGENT] in the subject - we can isolate the problem using your IP and troubleshoot the issue. This forum is great but it's not a support forum - I understand the frustration from not having us monitor this forum 24/7 and address each post, it's just not possible, nor is it efficient nor can I access the private information that we would need to work with you through the problem.

I hear what you're saying about communication - when we have planned maintenance or in the unlikely event of an unexpected outage, better protocols are in place to contact our customer base via email.

Those customers who are talking about frequent downtime, please contact me so that I can get more information. Please note the time and send me an email next time it happens (not a PM, a support ticket) and we can track the logs for your specific requests and see what's going on.

Jessie
    Jessie Jones
    Create your custom affiliate store with PopShops.
    General support: support [at] popshops.com | Merchant requests: merchants [at] popshops.com
    (Include your popshops login, your shop name, and the URL or merchant you have an issue with.)

ABW Ambassador
    JessieJ - Just a quick question. If the PopShops website is down as well, are you able to even receive support tickets?

Yes, we receive tickets at any time.
    Jessie Jones
    General support: support [at] popshops.com | Merchant requests: merchants [at] popshops.com
    (Include your popshops login, your shop name, and the URL or merchant you have an issue with.)

I think it's nice to post updates here as well to alert other affiliates.

For example, I have some shops in Wordpress and if PS goes offline, I have an error that looks alarming to visitors. So I need to disable the plugin until Ps goes back online.

This way, it helps me to know that PS is off since we all have multiple sites and are not always working in certain sites to be able to know.

ABW Ambassador
    ladidah - That's exactly why I post here as well. Some affiliates do PPC and if their shops are down, their money is being wasted. When PS is down, it makes a mess of my WordPress site. I appreciate when people post so I can go turn off that WP plugin.

WordPress sites
    Please let me know next time this happens "[Urgent]" and send a screenshot along with your email. There might be an fix on the plugin side and the WP error can be avoided altogether. Same with issues of trying to login, other errors, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Jessie
    Jessie Jones

If I see PopShops is down, I run a traceroute. Well over 95% of the time, I find that the problem shows up in traceroute as a broken connection between my machine and PopShops.

I've moved away from using the PopShops Wordpress plugin. It's much easier, and much more SEO friendly, to use a plugin called Sniplets that lets me place the shop's PHP or Javascript code where I want it instead of at the end of a post or page.
    Be at peace,
    Casey

Lass Group Mall - Free parking first hour or with any purchase.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Caseyfern
    I've moved away from using the PopShops Wordpress plugin. It's much easier, and much more SEO friendly, to use a plugin called Sniplets that lets me place the shop's PHP or Javascript code where I want it instead of at the end of a post or page.
    Thanks for sharing that info, I'll check into using that as well.

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread