Does this make ANY sense?
    hope this question makes sense. sometimes, when you are starting off new, you don't use the right jargon or catch phrases and that makes communication difficult. here goes:

i just bought a domain that is 10 years old and its in the financial services market. here's what i want to do:

set up individual landing pages based on keywords that I can win at. on each page, i'll offer a different merchant.

for example for /creditrepair, offer a merchant that sells that

for /online banking offer a different merchant that sells that.

my question is, am i thinking about this correctly? can this work since they are discreet pages? I am inclined to think one offer per page is best, since that will be less confusing to the visitor. so each page will be its own silo or vertical.

if this is doable, how should i construct the home page? or, is there a simpler, more elegant way to be able to promote different services in the financial market using the same main domain?

thanks for your help

http and a telephoto
    Welcome to ABW I moved your post from Introduce Yourself to Midnight Cafe since it was more of a question and not really an introduction
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Good Question
    I haven't purchased my domain yet- still working on building the site first. I also have a niche where I can offer different merchants items. I am wondering the same thing as you- can I make a home page explaining the purpose of the site and then use a seperate page for each merchant or is this not wise? I am stuck at this point can someone please answer? I also am curious as to the purpose of a redirect- kinda get lost with that idea.

Yes, try to be as specific as possible for each topic/offer. Some PPC pros create a different landing page for each keyword they are bidding on. So creating a unique landing page for each offer is on the right track.

Make sure each landing page is related to the domain topic. You will hurt your rankings and ability to buy traffic if you start to build and test off topic landing pages under the same domain name.
    [URL=http://www.investeverymonth.com]InvestEveryMonth.com[/URL] - Build Wealth

thank you for the help-here's another question for you
    I am not sure what you mean by using the same domain name for all products? I plan on bidding seperately for each product but using only one domain name which is pretty generic something like wood projects.com or close to that. If they land on my home page it will be about woodworking, with the sidebar containing links to pages on specific projects. If they type in specifically picnic tables they will land on that part of the website- is that the right way to do it? I wish there was an actual course that I could go through to learn these steps. That's what I did to learn the xhtml and css to build the sites. Now I am going through a copywriting course to learn writing ads. I have no problem with investing in the education needed to start this business. I have been studying it for 2 years now! I checked out a program called Wealthy Affiliates but I'm not sure whether it is an actual learning place or not. The price is reasonable though. Can you suggest a place that has an actual course I can take- I don't want to just put up my site and then find out I did it all wrong! I want to do it right the first time and it's not fair to just keep bothering you- I'm sure your time is valuable and I don't want to become a pest!

If there was only one way to do it right then someone could write a course on how to do it right - but there isn't one right way. If you have studied the principals of building your site, then you don't need a course anywhere. All the rest is right here on ABW.

It's not all in one place because we don't all work the same way, but in general if you're stuck on something or curious about something, a search here will very likely turn up good answers.. and if not you'll find someone will take the time to answer. (as long as it's not one of those magic bullet questions)

thank you for your reply-don't believe in magic bullets!
    Well, I guess you are right- there is no one way to do it- and no I would never ask a magic bullet question just like I am so tired of those instant make money emails I get lol. This is a hard business but I like the challenge! Whether I ever make it big or not doesn't matter- just having fun with it and making more than I spend is my real goal!

I assume by "based on keywords that I can win at. " you intend to do PPC like Adwords.
    In that field it will cost you at least a dollar a click for any worthwhile keywords. If you got 10,000 clicks and converted at 2% (which is incredibly high for a page that is just a "thin affiliate page" in that industry) that means that you would have to get $50 per conversion just to break even and you have outlayed $10,000.

A realistic look at this based on years of experience is that...
    1. You will pay more than a dollar a click for anything that will get you 10,000 clicks in a reasonable amount of time.
    2. You will not convert at anywhere close to 2% (Your page quality will make it almost impossible to compete in that market.)
    3. And you will occassionally get screwed by merchants and not get paid all that you are owed.

If you aren't doing PPC and plan on getting organic traffic for this, it'll be years before you get 10,000 real humans to your site because Google will consider it a "thin affiliate page".

Sweetie, I'm not all about problems, here's a solution for you.
    You need to learn this business and you learn by doing baby steps like that movie with Bill Murray.

Baby step : Get some cheap hosting from a major reputable web host
    Baby step : Pick something that you like like a hobby or entertainment topic that you are interested in
    Baby step : Pick a domain name that fits the subject of your interest.
    Baby step : Get Wordpress installed on your new webhost (maybe find a host that does it for you. Many do)
    Baby step : Start blogging a couple of times a week.
    Baby step : Apply for Adsense and learn how to add it to your blog (there's a billion guides out there)
    Baby step : Add affiliate links to some of your posts and see if any work for you.

After a year or so, you'll have the knowledge to tackle something like this but most likely you will have found a way to make money doing something you enjoy.

I appreciate your input
    I actually chose the field of woodworking because it is something I enjoy! I already know how to use adsense so I guess that's a plus. What do you mean by a "thin affiliate page"? That's a term I have never heard of before.
    I already have two blogs up- just general stuff though, but at least I know how to do that. If nothing else- I got a lot of experience building a website even if I chose the wrong field- so nothing is lost! I will try to chose a better field and start again using the steps you suggest! Thank you very much for your honesty- you saved me a fortune both in time lost and money spent!

A thin affiliate page does not really add value, because its main purpose is to quickly send people to the online merchant.
    Quote I found somewhere. Google gives them a low quality score for both organic and adwords.

I have never been stiffed by a woodworking affiliate program in the ten plus years that I have promoted them. I often get over $100 commission for a sale from them (big orders for schools and camps mainly).

Don't ask which ones. I won't tell. Besides, you need to find out things for yourself. People in forums lie and some forums are sanctimonious and full of esoteric bullsh*t like "The answer's here for free, man. Just search the forum" which means "DUHHHHHHHHHH, I don't know."

Sounds like you are thinking of building a review website where one oage is dedicated to one product
    Sounds okay to me as long as they are all in a similar niche
    You will have to optimize each page for the keyword relevant to the page but it certainly is doable
    [URL="http://www.affiliatemarketingintro.com"]Affiliate Marketing Basics[/URL]

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by DressesByDaisy
    People in forums lie and some forums are sanctimonious and full of esoteric bullsh*t like "The answer's here for free, man. Just search the forum" which means "DUHHHHHHHHHH, I don't know."
    When people *here* remind newcomers to use the search it certainly doesn't mean "I don't know". It means "Your question has been asked a gazillion times and we answered it a gazillion times already and if you search you will find a heckofalot more than what you originally came to find out."
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

lol had a quick humorous thought dressesbydaisy would the wood you sold to schools and camps be for making the dresses (by daisy?) if I recall camp uniforms and school uniforms are the most uncomfortable things that could be why. so no need to worry I won't ask you who your secret wood company is.....LOLOLOLOLOLOLOL
    I attract success and abundance into my life because that is who I am.

Quote Originally Posted by DressesByDaisy
    A realistic look at this based on years of experience is that...
    1. You will pay more than a dollar a click for anything that will get you 10,000 clicks in a reasonable amount of time.
    2. You will not convert at anywhere close to 2% (Your page quality will make it almost impossible to compete in that market.)
    3. And you will occassionally get screwed by merchants and not get paid all that you are owed.

If you aren't doing PPC and plan on getting organic traffic for this, it'll be years before you get 10,000 real humans to your site because Google will consider it a "thin affiliate page".

Sweetie, I'm not all about problems, here's a solution for you.
    You need to learn this business and you learn by doing baby steps like that movie with Bill Murray.

Baby step : Get some cheap hosting from a major reputable web host
    Baby step : Pick something that you like like a hobby or entertainment topic that you are interested in
    Baby step : Pick a domain name that fits the subject of your interest.
    Baby step : Get Wordpress installed on your new webhost (maybe find a host that does it for you. Many do)
    Baby step : Start blogging a couple of times a week.
    Baby step : Apply for Adsense and learn how to add it to your blog (there's a billion guides out there)
    Baby step : Add affiliate links to some of your posts and see if any work for you.

After a year or so, you'll have the knowledge to tackle something like this but most likely you will have found a way to make money doing something you enjoy.
    LOL I pay $.04 per click and convert around 18% my budget w/google is $300/month and its in the financial niche so it seems you sweetie are a expert at be sarcastic only. You need to stop being a smarty pants and learning something new, your "years" of experience do not measure to the amount of knowledge in this one teeny forum.....nuff said
    I attract success and abundance into my life because that is who I am.

Snappy, as a newbie I appreciated and, yes, understood your response to Daisy. I would like to ask how you would have answered the original posted question. Maybe give us newbies your baby steps. Not looking for the magic bullet - honest. Just maybe a place to start that can help clarify what has become a overwhelming amount of knowledge in my head.

I am now finding that I'm getting so bogged down in learning and researching that I feel too stupid and/or uneducated to actually build a site. I'd appreciate the push, Snappy - AND anyone else who cares to help. Thanks.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread