15 years and counting
    ASONTV stealing our traffic and sales
    If you work with them, check again your links.
    http://www.asontv.com/ affiliate program on SAS (after several years at CJ) is back to their old tricks. Stealing traffic and sales.
    Look at their home page. The first product sold: Worx GT Cordless Lawn Garden. Worx is working with GAN, the OPM is Chuck Hamrick. I was wondering what was the relationship between ASONTV and Worx.
    Check the product page, you have a buy button leading to an affiliate link from GAN: clickserve.cc-dt.com/link. Affiliate pubid=21000000000163289
    The crooked merchant is stealing their own ASONTV affiliate sale. Chuck is this acceptable? Do you think they deserve to be a Worx affiliate after stealing other affiliates sales? We're not talking sub-affiliates on a CPC network. It's an affiliate posing as a merchant (with an affiliate program).

It's not all:
    InStyler Rotating Hair Iron Brush is sent to an affiliate link directtrack.com/z/1459/CD130/
    Steam Cleaner goes to hits.dtmpartners.com/cgi-bin/redir?pd_link=i1-a47043-o5329-c79709
    Titan Peeler goes also to hits.dtmpartners.com
    Luminess Air Airbrush goes to a directtrack affiliate link
    Half of the products promoted by ASONTV on their home page are not commissioned. Your sales are stolen.
    And it's not all: Most of their products are redirected to other merchants through affiliate links.
    Look at this product by example:
    http://www.asontv.com/health-and-bea...ent-cream.html
    Click on the buy button. You're redirected to the Perfect Women website through an other affiliate link. Where's the SAS tracking pixel, Brian?

These crooked merchants give Shareasale a bad reputation.

OPM and Moderator Chuck Hamrick's Avatar
    Zeus, thanks for bringing this to my attention. We are evaluating our relationship but the fact that they have a competing affiliate program will lead us to terminating them as an affiliate in all of our programs (18).

15 years and counting
    Thanks for your answer, Chuck. As a merchant ASONTV is clearly misleading his affiliates. I don't know if as an affiliate, ASONTV is violating Worx policy or your's as an OPM. It's your own decision.
    ASONTV is also working with 1800PetMeds. For one product, Joint Care, ASONTV is a retailer and for an other one, Flea and Tick Products, FrontLine, he's an affiliate through LinkShare. Strange and confusing (or misleading) for their affiliates.
    Can a retailer be also an affiliate for the same merchant? On different sites, maybe.

Thanks for pointing this out, Zeus. I'm pulling all AsOnTV products from my database.

Affiliate Manager
    CEO, AsOnTV.com
    Dear Zeus,

Thank you for your correspondence and bringing this to our attention. As a responsible Merchant it is important to us to address this and set the record straight.

I am the acting CEO of www.AsOnTV.com . This ecommerce site was sold to Ediza Online, Inc., about 2 years ago. We have not had a relationship with CJ.

Selling over 1500 products from the most advertised brand in the world, As Seen On TV Products, I can say the vast majority of products are immediately released to us for sale on a wholesale basis, go onto our web site, and are commissionable. Less than 1% are introduced through the “product affiliate” programs you speak of.

It is certainly not our intention to steal traffic as you suggest.

We are checking our Share-a-Sale data feed and will get back to you in a day.

Cordially,
    Frank
    frank@asontv.com

Frank, thanks for responding. Would advise to remove all affiliate links from the site and focus on your affiliate program. Hate to lose sales for most of my major brands but it gets rid of the sense of double dipping. There have been many programs here that were seen to do this and the negative PR doesn't do you any good.

http and a telephoto
    If you are a merchant that has an affiliate program, you need to be just a merchant and not an affiliate for other merchants. If you are an affiliate that also drop ships, then you can do what you want. But that makes you *not* a viable merchant for other affiliates to promote.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

15 years and counting
    Hi Frank, thanks for your answer. As Chuck and Loxly said, the main problem is your promotion of products not sold directly by your company and not commissionable.
    Imagine an affiliate spending money on PPC programs for one of these products and not making one cent.
    ABW has a Merchant Best Practices Forum: here
    You can learn also how to improve your program with Michael Coley thread:
    Consolidated List of Affiliate Friendly Policies: here

Chuck & loxly -- > Spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by Frank2009
    Selling over 1500 products from the most advertised brand in the world, As Seen On TV Products, I can say the vast majority of products are immediately released to us for sale on a wholesale basis, go onto our web site, and are commissionable. Less than 1% are introduced through the “product affiliate” programs you speak of.
    Frank2009, I believe the SaS Merchant Service Agreement forbids you from promoting other affiliate offers unless you are paying on a pay-per-click basis.

As Loxly said you can be a merchant with an affiliate program or an affiliate, not both.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Affiliate Manager
    Focus on Affiliates
    Dear all,

After review and updating, our Share-a-Sale data feed only contains products we purchase and stock and are commissionable to our affiliates. Thus, no affiliate will waste money advertising non-commissionable product.

Unfortunately, some As Seen On TV products (about 1%) are introduced through “product affiliate” programs and then, are released to us for wholesale purchase and inclusion a few months later.

Accordingly, our policy from May 18th, 2009 for “product affiliates” is:
    1. They do not go into the SAS feed.
    2. We will try to purchase them and then include them as fast as possible.
    3. In order to offer the best As Seen On TV Products experience to our customers and yours, we will place the latest products on our site to keep customer interest at optimum levels for us all. This is not done for the purpose of stealing traffic as the “product affiliates” are under 1% of
    our total products and are not in the SAS feed. Eventually, these products will be in stock, commissionable, and be included in our SAS feed. See Ped Egg for example.

We believe that it is in the best interest of all of us to follow this procedure.

Perhaps someone knows of a legitimate way to “pass thru” the pixel to enable commission for our SAS affiliates on “product affiliates”.

I welcome your further comments on this.

Cordially,
    As On TV
    Frank, CEO
    frank@asontv.com

15 years and counting
    Frank, how many of your affiliates are promoting you with just a link to your home page? 80%, more...
    Look at your home page.
    On prime real estate, above the fold, you are pushing a promotion for Dads and Grads and 15 Products with pictures. 7 are not commissioned.
    It's not far from 50%
    If you check your Dads and Grads page, you'll find 24 Products with pictures, a few are not available and 10 of these products are not commissioned.

Instead of figuring out how their ripping off affiliates why not just DUMP them?

Thats what I did - If they could steal money from you once they'll do it again.

Its this simple

<--Them - You -->

Can we accept unethical merchants in the network?

The network doesn't judge a merchant based on ethics with the affiliates.

http and a telephoto
    We tried, he doesn't *get it*.

Frank, affiliates don't just use your datafeed, the products need to be off the *site* they link too, not just off that one landing page.

Repeat: Be an affiliate/merchatant without an affiliate program OR be a merchant with an affiliate program. You can't be both.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread