Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Twits: Why Twitter Won't Change Marketing
    A couple of years from now, we'll look at Twitter as another online flash in the pan that the press and digerati got all excited about until they found the next new thing. The hype about marketing on Twitter will sound as silly as buying islands in Second Life or crowing about your company's MySpace friends. Most of us will deny that we ever took it seriously. Twitter's main systemic problem can be summed up in this chart:

source

ONANISTIC MARKETING
    For Internet and marketing professionals, and those that follow them, Twittering keeps one busy and provides some thrills. But on the whole, it's an exercise in self-love
    (Bold underline and color added by me )
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Read the article and disagree on a lot of points. It amazes me that people that don't use or know how to use it are the ones that write articles about its failures. First thing that got me was the headline

"Why Twitter won't change marketing" This guy doesn't realize it has already changed marketing.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    I really don't see what that graph has to do with marketing. The "people I care about" isn't a requirement to be included in my/your marketing efforts nor do "people doing or thinking something interesting" really matter. If they get your/my twits(?) and they're interested in the product or service you/I offer or referrer, then they might buy.

I think you hit the nail on the head with the self-love, Haiko..

I was out with friends last night, discussing the merits of Twitter, it was a good balance of pro/con. One thing that jumped out at me was the sense of self-importance coming from the steady twitterers.

Now from a business standpoint, it's a fabulous medium with HUGE potential. And yes, it HAS changed the face of marketing.

But it's being used personally to such an overwhelming degree, it runs the risk of becoming saturated quickly. You won't be able to tell the good from the bad..

I'm only following 8 (all related to my biz) and already I see way too much twitter clutter.

ShareASale President/CEO and ABW Veteran Brian - ShareASale's Avatar
    Regarding "corporate Twitter", i'm not sure it can help you create a product that people are passionate about.

However, for those companies that have passionate fans it is a great way to interact and I would agree with NYFalcon that it already has changed the way that people interact. There are countless examples ... and while in a few years it might not be "Twitter" the brand that figures this all out and how it best operates... the method of communication is here for the longhaul. Succeed or fail in the longterm - they already changed the game.

In my opinion, that purple circle in the graph is moving north - and creating a much larger pie piece than what they have there.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton
    President/CEO - ShareASale.com, Inc.

One quote from the article that I saved -

TWITTER IS AN ECHO CHAMBER FOR INTERNET AND MARKETING PROFESSIONALS The demographic group where Twitter is most popular is among Internet and marketing professionals, and those who write about them.
    (Bold, red and underline added by me, but not the ALL CAPS!)

LD,

Yeah you shoot a shotgun in the woods, chances are you'll hit something.

---------
    NyFalcon,

Yes Twitter has changed marketing, spam now comes in multiple daily bursts of 140 chars or less all jammed packed with self love pontificating and a dash of nonsense.

---------
    Teezone,

Potentiality is huge, yes!! But how much of it is lost in the uselessness ?? Much!

-----------
    Brian,

Yes, the triangle is growing, but look at the cost ... how many people hate the noise and all the sales pitches?? Has the fertile ground has been torched for a few bucks? Time will tell.

BTW Corp Twitter accounts ( ie. Zappos) are a diff animal and study entirely.

Please RT :P
    Continued Success,

Haiko

The noise is out there, but I think the best part about it for me is that I can turn it off and control who I want to hear from.

I've learned a great deal from people on Twitter who I otherwise would have very little contact with. I've also been able to learn more about people who I work with or even customers that I've never met - and that is both great on a personal level, and also helps me understand my customers better in order to serve them when needed.

If someone is making too much noise... I simply stop following them. I wish I could do that with my email box but I can't.

In order to make this medium work, marketers are going to have to be smart, efficient, and provide quality content.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton

Quote Originally Posted by Brian - ShareASale
    In order to make this medium work, marketers are going to have to be smart, efficient, and provide quality content.
    AMEN!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian - ShareASale
    I can turn it off and control who I want to hear from.
    Unless their army of followers RT the damn spam.
    Continued Success,

Haiko

I'm with you there on the RT'ing.
    Thanks,

Brian Littleton

A couple of years from now, we'll look at Twitter as another online flash in the pan that the press and digerati got all excited about until they found the next new thing. The hype about marketing on Twitter will sound as silly as buying islands in Second Life or crowing about your company's MySpace friends. Most of us will deny that we ever took it seriously. Twitter's main systemic problem can be summed up in this chart:
    I don't know, but after seeing so much daily hype about Twitter everywhere (Even on TV.), and with soo many people jumping on the Twitter wagon everyday, I may have to agree with that quoted paragraph...

Somehow Twitter remind me of the good "Old AOL", way back on the late 80's...

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    New Term Based on Twitter:

Combine Twitter and Spam

Twam or Spitter

Good post, Brian, on the "quality content" thing. Of course I've got YOU to thank for introducing me to Twitter in the first place - with your Twitter "experiment" in Miami (a while back).
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

I have a Twitter account that I started using about a month ago, so far I have 69 followers so I guess I pick up a couple every day.

What do I use it for? I post product news a few times a week, that's all. And people seem to be happy to use if for that. In this respect, Twitter is just an alternative to setting up an RSS feed or having an email newsletter.

(Of course RSS feeds used to be a new-fangled thing as well, but I really couldn't keep track of everything these days without RSS.)

I would say that Twitter is vaguely useful. YouTube can be slightly useful too.. I actually get more visitors to my YouTube channel that my main site. Of course nobody makes any *money* from YouTube. But between Twitter and YouTube I suppose it helps with "stickiness".

As for everything else.. well it's a load of crap isn't it? I know serious businesses who have set up on things like Second Life.. what a waste of time and effort. MySpace is a dead loss these days, and Facebook is only marginally better.

I guess my advice is to use whatever works for you, but don't bet the barn on some sort of Web 2.0 strategy making a difference.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Affiliate Manager Alan Hamilton's Avatar
    I have never used it and would probably be the last person on ABW who would, even though I helped Adam arrange twitter stars on the baby grand piano at the Miami summit in July 07 just before Brian sat at the keys to belt out a night of tunes. In all honesty, I thought the stars were just to add twitter lights to the piano. I honestly did not know that it is the all new, boffo, never before now, the world will never be the same, wave of the future way to communicate and market. LOL

I watched the founder on Colbert some time back and got a kick out of his explanation that: "twitter is the answer to a problem we didn't have until twitter created it."

Myself, I'm actually waiting for all the latest - greatest buzz gimmicks to run their course, have people finally get tired of all the distractions from being productive, and going back to good old one on one phone conversations and eye to eye conversations. I just hope I remember how by then!!

Then again, if Ashton Kutcher says it's awesome, it must be... tweet!!!
    Join the Spicy Aprons Affiliate program on ShareASale Visit us on Facebook www.facebook.com/spicyaprons Follow us on Twitter @Spicyaprons

I'm generally the last person to "get it," and reading this thread makes me think I'm right there at the back of the pack one more time.

Will some of you explain to me a comment which recurs in this thread about Twitter already has "changed marketing"?

I'm not being sarcastic here. I just personally don't think or at least do not understand HOW that is true. Aside from a few million MLM people spamming constantly, and a few thousand, perhaps, using Twitter well (I would say Dynamoo, Brian, and probably others here among 'em) -- I just don't see how Twitter has "changed" anything about marketing?
    Generate more fake news.

For those complaining about twitter spam there is a such thing called TweetDeck which allows you to separate your followers into groups. Thus, you can follow everybody who follows you and not have to read all the spam...might wanna check it out.

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    I am totally confooooosed by all of the different points of view , but know that any form of promotion for anything that YOU believe in, is positive.

Whether or not something comes along when all of the Twitterers get bored is not an issue for now.

Right now, especially with this recession affecting many of us strongly, we need all of the promotion we can get.

I am trying to learn everything I can about Twitter and OTHER social media sites to promote what I can.

Better than Twittering for my site tho, has been building quite a following with many niche sites. ( in my case, black mold, heart issues, health ... etc. )

I could go on, but won't bore you!

I HAVE ALWAYS WANTED TO ASK HAIKO, if all of the sites he links to on the bottom of the home page are worth taking the trouble to sign up for ???!!!

So, in my Humble Opinion, I think we should ride the twitter deal until it isn't a DEAL anymore ...

Then move on to the next thing ...

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by writerguy
    Aside from a few million MLM people spamming constantly
    For now I just want to address this, I saw you twitter about it earlier but have been out of town and just checking in periodically. Stop following the spammers. If people you follow are RTing the spammers, send them a DM to let them know they are promoting spam. Then if they continue, unfollow them too.

You choose who to follow and what to read. Following everyone is not the way to be effective. Follow the people that say what you want to read, and then grow from there. By following "everyone" you give them validity. Use unfollow more than follow. That makes a statement. Tell some people *why* you are unfollowing them. Some will care, some won't.

How has it changed marketing? That isn't an easy one post answer actually.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

I don''t know who you people are following that causes you to get so much spam because I don't see much spam at all. Use the unfollow button.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Regarding how twitter has changed marketing. It's pretty simple to me- it helps you get to know your audience better and lets them know you better. It's a known fact that people are much more likely to buy from other people they know and trust...twitter is just one very effective way to help with this.

Quote Originally Posted by David S.
    Regarding how twitter has changed marketing. It's pretty simple to me- it helps you get to know your audience better and lets them know you better. It's a known fact that people are much more likely to buy from other people they know and trust...twitter is just one very effective way to help with this.
    Yeah, I get that part. I guess I just don't see that as a major change. And I'm sure, as loxly said, this isn't an easy one-post answer. Good to hear some answers, though. Thanks.
    Generate more fake news.

With Twitter.. what's the worst that can happen? It doesn't take long to set up an account - the hardest thing is making a Twitter button for your site!

If you use bit.ly for URL shortening then it can tell you how many clickthroughs you are getting. Really all you can do otherwise is tweak the design a little.

It's a no-cost and low-effort thing to try. It sure beats spending six months setting something up in Second Life
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamoo
    With Twitter.. what's the worst that can happen? It doesn't take long to set up an account - the hardest thing is making a Twitter button for your site!

If you use bit.ly for URL shortening then it can tell you how many clickthroughs you are getting. Really all you can do otherwise is tweak the design a little.

It's a no-cost and low-effort thing to try. It sure beats spending six months setting something up in Second Life
    Excellent points!

Although I've lately gotten frustrated over the flood of MLMers I've encountered, it really isn't a big deal just to "unfollow" a lot of them, I guess.

And I do get some people to my blogs occasionally who find me via Twitter. So certainly, it's worth the effort.

Still don't see how it's made any big changes to marketing, though.
    Generate more fake news.

A coworker just sent me this interesting article:

http://www.adotas.com/2009/05/twitte...nking-madness/
    Dyan Carlson
    ["My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness."- The Dalai Lama

Simple solution to disclosure of a link: Power Twitter. It lets you see what the links or pictures are about before clicking on them.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast