Affiliate Manager
    Why are they signing up?
    I just started my affiliate program and have had several people sign up. When I look at some of the sites, they don't have any links set up to promote any products. It is bascially just a blog.

Why apply if you don't set up links? After all, the links are what generate the commission, right?

What am I missing?

ABW Ambassador
    80% +/- sign up and never even test their link.

Makes no sense!

Many affiliates have several sites - possibly many more than they care to (or can) list in their network profile. As far as setting up links, often it takes a while (a long time, even) for affs to set links to a program for which they just applied. Many affiliates are just a one-man (woman) shop, or even just a part time operation, and will sign up for a program that seems like a "good idea" and then add that program to their "To Do" list.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

I call these "all-joiners" -- people who join every available program, or every program within some broad criteria.

There's actually some method to this madness. I don't like to spend time reviewing a merchant's site, products, pricing, policies, etc., until I know that the merchant is going to approve me into their program. Of course, this means that some merchants will approve me but then when I explore further, I will decide never to post any links for the merchant.

And then, even if I'm approved by a merchant, and after I decide that the merchant is "worthy" of my efforts, I am just going to add that merchant to a very long project queue.

But don't ignore or decline these affiliates! Here's why (as I posted two years ago, at http://forum.abestweb.com/showpost.p...3&postcount=33):
    Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    > My "perfect" example is a merchant who contacted me in September 2005 to advertise on one of my sites. After a series of exchanges, I recommended that he set up an affiliate program at ShareASale, and he did so in October 2005. I got distracted, and despite several polite reminders, I didn't add this merchant's links to my web site until September of 2006.

> The merchant had an EPC of $0.00, and it's entirely possible that there were no other affiliates who had generated any transactions during the program's first 11 months -- the merchant certainly wasn't recruiting.

> Within a few hours after I posted my first links, I saw my first sale transaction. In January, this merchant generated $1,500 in affiliate earnings for me, with an eCPM hovering right around $4. About $1,000 of that revenue comes from traffic at a web site with just 60,000 pageviews per month (the rest is from a Google AdWords campaign). Of course, that probably means I lost about $10,000 by not adding these affiliate links in October 2005. <
    I think 80% might be a low estimate of the number of enrolled affiliates who will never actually post any links. Probably 90% to 95% is more accurate.

FYI, I have been allocating most of my "affiliate role" work for nearly 2 years on a datafeed project, and during that time my affiliate earnings have dwindled to nearly nothing. I'm hoping to bring some sites live this summer, and ideally I'll be driving many sales to a number of merchants -- but I won't be driving any sales to merchants who declined me, or "de-activated" me due to "inactivity."

Assuming these are decent-looking sites with affiliate links already...

Sometimes it takes me a few weeks to incorporate a new store, even if it's a perfect fit.

For example, I have a new page that I'm working on right now, it's taking longer than I would like (not a huge priority), and it's where I plan to show a few new merchants. I work on my own, and have 3 diff niches.. it's difficult to manage at the best of time.

But if these aren't established sites with affiliate links in place, you probably won't see yours there either.

Ouch! I just looked at your site. It appears that if I send you "customers" you are using a good portion of your home page to "recruit" them to be affiliates.

This appears to take up 1/3 of your sales area below the main image:
    Have a blog or store that gets lots of traffic from busy moms?

Would you like a way to earn additional income just by promoting our Slow Cooker Mate? Then take a look at our new affiliate program!

For more details and to join click here.
    Why would I want to send you my hard-earned customers? ...To have them recruited away?
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Visual Artist & ABW Ambassador lostdeviant's Avatar
    People sign up and don't have links up because...
    1. you weren't looking at their site that they added the links to.
    2. You don't have adequate or appropriate banners, links, datafeed access, etc. for them to use so you weren't added.
    3 You gave datafeed access, but your datafeed is so huge that their feed import script failed to add your feed to their database due to hosting server limitations.
    4. They didn't like your merchant website because of leaks, etc, so they decided not to add links.
    5. You weren't on autoapprove or they're still waiting for datafeed access approval and they don't know they have approval, so they haven't yet added you.
    6. They haven't gotten around to adding links yet because they're busy. (probably the most important reason)

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    Ouch! I just looked at your site. It appears that if I send you "customers" you are using a good portion of your home page to "recruit" them to be affiliates.

This appears to take up 1/3 of your sales area below the main image:
    Why would I want to send you my hard-earned customers? ...To have them recruited away?
    I agree with Bill. Setup a separate affiliate page and have a small link on the bottom of the page for the affiliate program page.

If they don't have affiliate links and they look like a good fit for you, go ahead and ask them what their plans are. They may have something "cookin" (pun intended) or they may be scammers.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Affiliate Manager
    Bill - I never thought about it that way. Thanks for the input. I know the site needs more work. I will see what I can do with that spot.

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread