Can't Save FTP details
    Hi there,

Having a difficulty with saving FTP Sites. I create them under the "GENERATION" tab and then go to select them, but they've disappeared.

Tried with both 2.5.1 and 2.5.2

Mac OS X 10.5.6

Affiliate Manager
    I've looked into this but have been unable to reproduce it. Here's the recipe I used:

1. Select "Edit List..." from the FTP popup menu.

2. In the "FTP Server Settings" window, click "New"

3. Fill in all five fields (Name Host, Directory, User Name, Password)

4. Click "Save".

5. Close the window

Result: the new settings is available in the popup menu.

I ran this test on OS X 10.5.6.

Does my recipe differ from yours?
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Yeah, same recipe
    Yeah, that's the same recipe. My as soon as I close the window and attempt to select it from the pop-up it's not there. When I select "Edit List.." again it's missing.

There's already 5 FTP sites in there, is that a limitation perhaps?

Affiliate Manager
    Has anything else changed on this machine since you last successfully entered the FTP info?

Could there be a tab character in the name of the FTP setting in question? Might happen if you're pasting it from some other place.

What happens if you click New and type just a short random string in any of the other fields and click Save - does it save then? (I know it won't be a useful FTP setting, just for testing).

I wonder if there may be some issue with saving the Prefs file. Try this:

In the "WebMerge" menu, choose "Preferences...", and in the Prefs window change the Hyphenation setting, close the window, then quit. Then relaunch the program and check the Prefs window again to see if the Hyphenation value is the same as what you'd set it to, or reverted to what it was before.

Please let me know how that works out, as it'll help narrow down the range of possible causes.
    Richard Gaskin

OK, I changed the hyphen preference and closed, re-opened and it didn't stay changed. It reverted to the previous setting.

Do I trash a specific preference file to recreate? Where is that located?
    Thanks

Affiliate Manager
    It's very rare that a WebMerge preference file becomes corrupted (haven't yet seen this happen), but just in case it's worth a try. Note that you'll have to replace your FTP settings if you do this, so rather than ditch the prefs file you may want to just rename it temporarily in case the problem persists.

On OS X you'll find it in your Preferences folder at :

~/Library/Preferences/FourthWorld.com/WebMerge/4WWebMerge2.dat
    Richard Gaskin

Solved IT
    Yep, that solved the FTP problem! Cheers!

Affiliate Manager
    Thanks for the confirmation. Though I've been unable to reproduce this issue here, I think I may be close to finding the root cause. I'll continue working on it and see if I can get v2.5.2 finalized early next week with the fix, but it's good to know we have a workaround in the meantime.
    Richard Gaskin

Might version 2.5.2 include already the "rawWithBR" tag?
    This way we might use the program without waiting to the version 2.6.
    Thank you.

Affiliate Manager
    I discovered what may be the source of the trouble with FTP settings not being saved when migrating from older versions of WebMerge. I'm doing some more testing, but hope to have that completed within a day or so with new installers posted. I'll drop a note here once those are up.

Yelmo, the "rawWithBR" won't be in v2.5.2. Fourth World is one of the very few companies that attempts to fix all reproducible issues with each version, so to maintain this principle we need to make sure everything in v2.5.x is rock-solid before we move forward with v2.6. WebMerge is used in a wide variety of mission-critical settings, so it's important to our customers that it be as bug-free as possible. To the degree that we can get a little help testing, we can continue to deliver some feature upgrades for free.

If folks had taken advantage of the unusually long public beta testing period with v2.5 I'd already have v2.6 out the door, and be much further along with v3.0. But with so few having tested while it was in the testing phase, we've had to undergo the much more expensive process of fixing bugs in the shipping v2.5 while also keeping the v2.6 code base up to date with those.

I have a long list of features in development which I'd like to deploy ASAP, including the "rawWithBR" attribute. We've been delivering free upgrade after free upgrade, and would like to continue that with v2.6 as well, but all we ask in return is that folks take advantage of the public beta testing period to make sure the features they need are working solidly before the final release.

So I trust you'll run v2.5.2b through its paces so we can deliver a final build you can rely on, and once that's done we can get back to adding features.
    Richard Gaskin

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread