What are the rules for most sponsors and Craigs List / Yahoo Answers advertising?
    As a newb, I'm trying to figure this out. I've heard that Craigslist, email, and such are against the rules for most affiliate based advertising programs. Is this true? If so, how far does that go? What if I advertise my blog or website on Craigs that has affiliate links. Are these rules defined somewhere? TIA

Wanda first you need to differentiate between affiliate links and links to your web site or blog. While some networks have restrictions as to where you can place affiliate links (usually they're limited to sites that you own or e-mail), as a general rule, where you promote your site is pretty much up to you. Keep in mind though that if you promote your site in "bad neighborhoods" that you could possibly be judged by the company you keep.

As far as e-mail marketing goes, in my experience, whether it is permitted or not is usually left up to the individual merchant. Some forbid it completely and others may require that you contact them prior to doing any mailings. Most will at least insist that you are CAN-SPAM compliant.

It's best that you become familiar with the Terms of Service for both the networks and merchants that you work with.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Wanda36
    As a newb, I'm trying to figure this out. I've heard that Craigslist, email, and such are against the rules for most affiliate based advertising programs. Is this true? If so, how far does that go?
    If you put affiliate links on Craigslist you will probably be reported and banned by *them*. They don't allow it. Email is a per merchant thing.
    What if I advertise my blog or website on Craigs that has affiliate links.
    As rematt said, how you advertise your own site is up to you, but if a merchant gets complaints that you sent spam that went to a landing page about that merchant, they will probably terminate you. You need to check the TOS for each place you want to advertise your site, and you need to be CAN-SPAM compliant, and you need to follow each merchant's TOS.
    Are these rules defined somewhere? TIA
    Absolutely, those rules should be in the merchant TOS. And sometimes additionally in the Network TOS. You need to read both.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread