Marketing on Twitter
    Hi Everybody,

I am a newbie affiliate and subscribed to Neverblue aff. network. I posted some campaigns through twitter with twitter.com/freebiepicks , it looks like it is getting a lot of clicks, daily 4000 but conversion is very low. Do you think the reporting accurate in Neverblue.

My other question, I send my twitter account link to my friend and he filled out 1-2 offers to see if the affiliate commission working. But that generated leads did not show in my reporting, basically i did not get paid. Do you think when you shorten the URL does affiliate link losing my id?

I am a bit confused am i doing something wrong? Please HELP...

http and a telephoto
    First, I moved your thread to Web 2.0, it isn't really an introduction.

Second, you had a friend fill out lead forms? You bet you won't get paid for those! And you can get terminated from the network.

Third, you need to rethink your marketing plan.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

That is definitely something to be worried about if leads aren't coming though. I would contact your am but with zip and e-mail submits they almost always (no matter what network you're at) have scrubs in place that could be making the lead not go through. Did you register clicks? Either way definitely hit up your am or PM me if this doesn't clear it up.

Manager - Affiliate Marketing Patrick Vesperman's Avatar
    The thing about Twitter is that people love to click links. They do it because it is there.
    It is very hard to get targeted, qualified leads if you blanket follow everyone. You have to have a targeted following first, which takes time.

>> people love to click links

agree

twitter traffic conversion cannot be very good

hi, yes although the short text b4 the links is quite "relevant", but people seems to like to click by curiosity... Does anyone has a better way/idea to get more conversions ?

Quote Originally Posted by photaubay98
    hi, yes although the short text b4 the links is quite "relevant", but people seems to like to click by curiosity... Does anyone has a better way/idea to get more conversions ?

you should post reply to relevant topics, but it may be counted as spam practice... i think TwitterHawk can help you about it.
    Serkan Kutlubay
    myhosting.com - Affiliate Manager
    serkank/[@]/softcom.com
    myhosting: Private Forum, Shareasale, CJ, high commission, parasite free - Join Now!

http and a telephoto
    As I recommend vocally in many places, you should be using twitter (and any other social media platform) to send the clicks to your own website and landing page and from there send people to the merchant. Why? Because if you are sending a lot of garbage traffic from social media to a merchant they might boot you and think you are doing something "bad". And that will make them think that all traffic from social media is junk traffic.

As an affiliate you don't want to just send clicks to merchants and hope they buy something, it is part of your job to presell people on why they should go to that merchant and buy something.

Consider Twitter "Direct to Merchant" links to be the same as PPC Direct to Merchant links, which in my opinion is a waste of your time and money (for PPC). Spend your time making landing pages on your own site that convert, and build your site traffic by sending Twitter et. al. traffic to your own landing page.
    Deborah Carney

I would ALWAYS send a TwitterVisitor to my site rather than direct to merchant. There are some VERY sound business practices behind that that I won't get into here....
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

ABW Ambassador
    "There are some VERY sound business practices behind that that I won't get into here...."

Holding back information and you might be assessed a penalty.

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Trust
    "There are some VERY sound business practices behind that that I won't get into here...."

Holding back information and you might be assessed a penalty.
    lol... Point to Trust, 5 minute (with)holding penalty to Kevin....
    Deborah Carney

First one starts with S and ends with EO.

Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

Question
    >> "There are some VERY sound business practices behind that that I won't get into here...."

Please share your thought. I wish i can learn from you

>> Consider Twitter "Direct to Merchant" links to be the same as PPC Direct to Merchant links, which in my opinion is a waste of your time and money (for PPC).

Is it really depends on which advertiser or which advertiser's landing page you send your traffic to ?? one concept cannot apply to all ??

having your own landing page may have advantages to improve conversion, but also one more click away from the buying process or buying mood ??

http and a telephoto
    Quote Originally Posted by Vrindavan
    >> Consider Twitter "Direct to Merchant" links to be the same as PPC Direct to Merchant links, which in my opinion is a waste of your time and money (for PPC).

Is it really depends on which advertiser or which advertiser's landing page you send your traffic to ?? one concept cannot apply to all ??

having your own landing page may have advantages to improve conversion, but also one more click away from the buying process or buying mood ??
    No. You are buying traffic. More and more merchants aren't allowing you to have PPC ads go direct to merchant. If you are spending your money, send people to your site. Then if you ditch a merchant or a merchant ditches you, you change the information on your landing page.

Any Direct to Merchant links help the merchant, they don't help you. They don't necessarily convert better and may convert worse than if you do your job correctly and make a great landing page.

Here's a podcast I did on the subject of Direct to Merchant PPC (not twitter).
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=120152
    Deborah Carney

http and a telephoto
    Think of it this way, are you building a business or are you just trying to use free stuff to make some money? Free doesn't work. Work works.
    Deborah Carney

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin
    First one starts with S and ends with EO.

I was under the impression, apparently incorrect, that twitter links are either not spidered or use no-follow.

Using the url shortening services wouldn't help with seo, so you would have to post your entire url... right?
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

http and a telephoto
    Traffic from any source helps with SEO. It doesn't have to be straight links with follow tags. Real people will really click links if you what you post is of interest to them. And Twitter has it's own search, some people use it more than G, especially for product searches or checking on company reputations.
    Deborah Carney

The reason most of us are using Twitter is to get our messages out there in front of thousands of much targeted people. We can do this in several ways using Twitter. The first way is by simply putting your link in our Twitter profile and having people come to our website or blog to check we out.

IMO twitter is good for traffic that you want to read content, not sell anything. Part of that whole "build the relationship first" thing
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

i don't think url shortener gonna make your ld lose..
    maybe your friend just simply delete your id, or the stat haven't been update yet.

What kind of a twitter account do you have? Personally, I tend to unfollow anyone who spams me. I follow people I can interact with.

I'm thinking, maybe it's the wrong kind of traffic? is there any trust built between you and your followers?

Conversions through Twitter is never heard by ME, to be honest. I believe twitter traffic is curious to know what the link holds.

A curious visitor is not a buyer. If lucky, and if the sales page is top notch and if there are lots of freebies being offered for opting in, you may capture the email addresses. Other than that, it's hard to marketise twitter for affil. prods.

Speaking as a merchant, Twitter is important to me for (in order)

1.) SEO and getting new pages indexed quickly.
    2.) Branding and finding targeted shoppers
    3.) Customer Service

I now hold Twitter as about my most important form of BRAND advertising. While targeted PPC drives more sales, Twitter is doing a very nice job in promoting awareness of our new store, and since Bing and Google are using Twitter results in SERPs now, even getting our products in front of people quickly.
    Kevin Webster

Kayak Fishing

http and a telephoto
    Some affiliates use Twitter to quite effectively drive shoppers. There are some twitter accounts that are specifically used to send out deals announcements (and people know that before they follow the account) and other affiliates use it to create conversations and then send shoppers to their site via their profile and by announcing occasional good deals.

All of Kevin's points are accurate for merchants, plus the ability to do instant "market research" by asking a question about a new site feature or a product change or feature, and the ability to do "instant promotions" that are just for Twitter followers.

Add on note to the posters above that think there is no link juice or are worried about the no follow tags, the twitter api and rss feeds get pulled into all kinds of places that have follow tags and *can* give you link juice. Plus, most of all, target real people that want to know about your site and will go there from a tweet.
    Deborah Carney

25. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread