At what rate can you add new links?
    Ok...we all know that adding backlinks to your website is one of the best ways to move up in PageRank. For a new site, Google must have some sort of algorithm that limits the number of links you can add each month/week/day without penalty.

In other words, if I put my site up today, and then tomorrow my site has 10,000 links to it, Google is going to be a little suspicious, right? And, they'll probably de-index my site, right?

So, I guess the question to all of you is, what is the magic number? How many backlinks can you add per day/week/month/ to a new site, two month site, three month site, etc., without getting de-indexed?

It's got to be a quadratic algorithm, dudes...because there are websites out there with 500,000 links to them that Google is leaving alone! And, I'm sure those websites have only been up for a few years. If you do the math, at 1,000 links a month, it would take that site almost 42 years to get that many links on a linear basis!

I'd really like to know the answer to this...

stevo7

1. Not sure there is a limit

2. It does not really matter unless you are trying to game the system and pay someone for a ton of backlinks.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stevo7

It's got to be a quadratic algorithm, dudes...because there are websites out there with 500,000 links to them that Google is leaving alone! And, I'm sure those websites have only been up for a few years. If you do the math, at 1,000 links a month, it would take that site almost 42 years to get that many links on a linear basis!

I'd really like to know the answer to this...

stevo7
    More like an exponential growth, which would equate to a set percentage of growth in number per time period. e.g. number of links increases 10% each year with backlinks = 100, 100x110%=110, 110x110%= 121, etc.

I don't think the number of links causes a problem - it is the source of the links. If they all come from a single network of sites, this would indicate an artificially induced situation and probably trigger some alarm. If they come from a wide variety of sites, I would think Google would boost your rank. i.e. a site gone "viral".

If you get backlinks in a natural fashion, I don't think you have anything to worry about, even if it is a large number. If you buy them or otherwise manufacture them, Google will probably sniff it out, even if it is a few such backlinks.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

4. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread