Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Gettin' under the paint"

Outsourced Program Manager
    "Gettin' under the paint"
    "Gettin' under the paint"

I learned that term when a (20+ year) close friend of mine called me up last night. He was asking if there was a way he could work online today while on the train up to Oregon. (He likes trains because he built the Napa Valley Wine Train).

I explained it was easy. All he would need was a thumbdrive USB broadband modem. Though he is the greatest living marketing person I have ever known in person, he was not familiar with those. He was familiar with the fact, however, that there must be a pretty easy way by now. He had a feeling I would know.

Since he was coming into town to catch the train, we agreed to meet and I would show him at the store so we were sure he got what he wanted. And I would get him a webcam. This way, he could get together "face-to-face" with a few his "mogul" friends, all the while enjoying the scenery. If they could get on the web and had a webcam, they could meet in my virtual boardroom any time. No downloads, no installs, no BS, just log in.

He has some pretty cool friends because he started US Honda, US Suzuki, and the Napa Valley Wine Train, among others. He also starts around 4 AM every day mucking out the stalls, etc. in the real world, just like I do in the online world.

He doesn't need the money, believe me. He is also one of the nicest, most hard-working, and incredibly polite people I have ever had the good fortune to know. Just don't get us started on bureaucratic BS.

Am I a lucky dog or what?
    Last edited by JackMarketing; June 26th, 2009 at 09:47 PM.
    Jack Kotowski • Certified Affiliate Manager • OPM/Agency - program details: ABestWeb Forum of JackMarketing
    Managing affiliate programs since 1997 | Google Profile - JackMarketing
    Built Zappos.com to #1!! • JackMarketing on Twitter and other social media networks • Inquiries: www.JackMarketing.com

Free Kona coffee to the first person who knows what that phrase means - "gettin' under the paint."

Or, you can meet my friend "in person" this morning in my virtual boardroom.
    Jack Kotowski • Certified Affiliate Manager • OPM/Agency - program details: ABestWeb Forum of JackMarketing
    Built Zappos.com to #1!! • JackMarketing on Twitter and other social media networks • Inquiries: www.JackMarketing.com

Affiliate Manager
    OK, I will admit it is a guess, but for coffee (especially Kona) why not.

It means getting to the bottom of things.

SlowCooker, you tried and you were first, so you win anyway. All I ever ask of affiliates is that they try, and are honest. All I ever promise clients is the same.

PM me your address, or submit it through the contact page on my site, and I'll get some right out to you.

My friend, as you might imagine, is very good at getting to the bottom of things, but that is not what that phrase means.

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    This has been bugging me all day!

I've Googled it, Yahoo'd it, MSN'd it.

SO !

What does "gettin' under the paint." mean Jack?

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

Quote Originally Posted by RemodelingGuy
    This has been bugging me all day!

I've Googled it, Yahoo'd it, MSN'd it.

SO !

What does "gettin' under the paint." mean Jack?

I'm not Jack, but I think it means seeing whats under the outside 'pretty package', understanding how something works.
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

I know that you and SlowCooker ( who I like his posts ) are 100% right.

Revealing what is under a layer of paint.

The Real Thing!

Taking things down to the original layer...

My Brain Hurts!

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by RemodelingGuy
    I know that you and SlowCooker ( who I like his posts ) are 100% right.

RemodelingGuy - Ah gee, I am glad you like my posts. That is the nicest thing anyone has said to me today. Just between me and thee, I am a she! Glad to be just one of the guys though!

You all get Kona coffee, but no one has even come close yet.

Peaberry Kona to the winner now.

Oddly enough, I saw an incredible example of it today.

I thought this would be easy for you, and last about ten minutes.

It is now 19 hours later.

Hint - there are plenty of hints.

Quote Originally Posted by JackMarketing
    Hint - there are plenty of hints.
    Get back to sleep!

I haven't gotten to sleep yet. Very tough day. What was supposed to be my friend's visit to an ailing friend, had now become a trip to offer condolences to the family.

Some wonderful things happened though, too.

Met Kevin Costner. He quietly slipped in the back way to the restaurant I was at. We were in Santa Barbara's actual working harbor. He had his son in his arms and a baby bag, just like any father. We had a nice, albeit brief, chat. He was amazingly polite, nice, and obviously a great Dad.

I haven't gotten to sleep yet. Very tough day. What was supposed to be my friend's visit to an ailing friend, had now become a trip to offer condolences to the family.
    I'm sorry to hear that your friend lost his/her friend! That is quite a turnabout.

Re "under the paint": I vaguely remember this from a friend who was into bike racing and it was similar to a race horse rider, who tucks/compresses any body parts and leans low to reduce wind resistance. You put your body so low on a bike that it's "under the paint," which I think means lower than the chrome handlebars. Also tucking in elbows, etc. to reduce wind resistance.
    Renιe
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

JoyUnltd wins!

JoyUnltd, your signature is worth repeating - "Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who said it, no matter if I have said it, unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense." — Porky Pig

BTW, not since Paul Newman and/or Robert Redford have there been blue eyes like Cayden's. If he decides to follow in his father's footsteps ... watch out ladies!

JoyUnltd wins!
    Wow, fabuloso, thank you! I haven't thought about that bit of trivia for years. I'm at that point where long-term memory works better than short, lol!

Re sig: I used to have Buddha instead of Porky Pig, but someone challenged the attribution. I'm not a Buddhist so I impulsively replaced it.

Jack, much kudos to you for being an ethical aff program manager! I plan to build more sites (when I learn to move faster than a snail) and will check in to see if you have any matches.
    Renιe

Oh da doh, here's the clues, went right past me!
    "Gettin' under the paint"...

He has some pretty cool friends because he started US Honda, US Suzuki, and the Napa Valley Wine Train, among others. He also starts around 4 AM every day mucking out the stalls, etc. in the real world, just like I do in the online world.
    Renιe

JoyUnltd - You are one smart cookie! Yes, those were the clues sittin' right out there for all the world to see the whole time. PM me your address and I'll send you the Peaberry Kona.

Thank you very much for your kind words.

I met Porky Pig in real life. Mel Blanc was the uncle of my first girlfriend in Santa Barbara. We were seated together at a wedding. He was a benevolent and much loved family member. Unbelievably funny, too. It was one of the pure joys of my life to hear him enjoy doing ALL of his voices for us and making kids laugh the whole time.

Mel Blanc was such an incredible person! And you got to hear him perform his voices in person—that must have been so wonderful, what a cherished memory!

P.S. - Oh yes, am VERY looking forward to the Kona coffee. Thanks so much for this! Will PM you.
    Last edited by JoyUnltd; May 22nd, 2009 at 10:23 AM. Reason: The Prize!
    Renιe

Interesting coincidence, BTW. Last evening we were flying my small plane with the side windows open and talked about "streamlining" the airflow for better performance by keeping things all tucked in. Then we tried the alternative - and found we could actually maneuver the airplane by using our hand/arms out in the slipstream (hard to do at 100 mph). If we set the plane up for straight flight in a very slight climb we could make it turn left and right, as well as make it descend or go back to the original climb mode - without touching any controls.

We also talked about keeping the leading edges of the wing and prop well cleaned and waxed. Even the minor imperfections in the surface of the PAINT can slightly retard the cruising airspeed of a small airplane. I mentioned the theme of this thread to my flying buddy (he is NOT in aff mktg) because we were actually playing with the principle of your "Under the Paint" saying. He is an (older) mechanical engineer and had heard the term.

@ JoyUnltd - Congratz! Enjoy your coffee.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

JoyUnltd, Imagine how the kids flocked around our table! Yes, it is truly a cherished memory.

Bill, OMG, that is amazing. Please be careful though, as my sister would be quick to point out. Another friend of my friend does a bit of pleasure flying, but at a slightly higher speed. (I sent my friend your website address some time ago when I first saw it just because I thought his friend might enjoy it. No further discussion of that, please).

Quote Originally Posted by Bill
    Interesting coincidence, BTW. Last evening we were flying my small plane with the side windows open and talked about "streamlining" the airflow for better performance by keeping things all tucked in. Then we tried the alternative - and found we could actually maneuver the airplane by using our hand/arms out in the slipstream (hard to do at 100 mph). If we set the plane up for straight flight in a very slight climb we could make it turn left and right, as well as make it descend or go back to the original climb mode - without touching any controls.

We also talked about keeping the leading edges of the wing and prop well cleaned and waxed. Even the minor imperfections in the surface of the PAINT can slightly retard the cruising airspeed of a small airplane. I mentioned the theme of this thread to my flying buddy (he is NOT in aff mktg) because we were actually playing with the principle of your "Under the Paint" saying. He is an (older) mechanical engineer and had heard the term.
    Tres cool, you directed the plane with your arms! I love to find out how tiny details can affect performance in any arena.
    Renιe

"I love to find out how tiny details can affect performance in any arena."

Me too! Think conversion rates on websites.

Methinks every CEO should be forced to try to buy something personally on their own website every so often. Amazing what they would learn.

I once explained to a great CEO client of mine that no buy button appeared for anyone to buy anything from him if their screen was under a certain size. He did not believe me. His arrogant little IT guy ridiculed me.

I sent them screenshots.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast