Unpaid Commission for $45,000 of Sales by Student Universe
    As a affiliate on Linkshare I promoted Student Universe and have generated over $45,000 of sales for them.

At the start of the year I noticed that I had not received any payments from Linkshare since last year so I contacted Linkshare and was told that there had been some error so none of my payments had been requested from the merchants, so I had not received payments since the last quarter of 2008, but I would start receiving payments now. When I received my payment I noticed that I had not received any payments for Student Universe so I contacted Linkshare, and was told someone would look into it, but no-one did.
    I phoned Linkshare a week later and a incident report was raised.

I was then told that all my Student Universe sales had been cancelled and to contact the merchant.
    I sent several emails to the merchant with no-luck, then 1 week later I rang up Student Universe, and was emailed the next day. I was told that my sales were cancelled as I had the word "discount" on my website. (This was not relating to any offers we have listed for Student Universe, for student universe we just have the banners from the Linkshare interface).
    I was told if I removed the word discount from my website I would receive all my payments.
    Even though I was not breaking any Student Universe terms I abided with this and sent a email, when I was told that they would only pay for commission from now on, and not pay for all the past commission since last year.

I emailed student universe back, but they did not reply.
    I contacted Linkshare and have been told Linkshare will not do anything even though all the sales were genuine, there is no one from Linkshare to Contact the merchant as Student Universe manage the program themselves so they can cancel any sale they wish.

15 years and counting
    Typical LinkShare.
    They let their merchants do what they want including skimming sales and not paying affiliates.
    Most of the time you can't even get an answer on a problem like that.
    You understand Student Universe is giving you a fake excuse. "I was told that my sales were cancelled as I had the word "discount" on my website."
    Look at their website, they have "cheap... and Student Discounts, Airline Discount, Discount Airline Ticket..." stuffed in their tags...
    There's not much you can do. Never let a merchant get away with not paying affiliates after 4 months. They had a report in Synergy Analytics showing how long it takes for a merchant to pay. This report is not available anymore.

Thanks for exposing these crooks.

What are the possibilities as far as contacting a lawyer and filing a lawsuit when something like this happens?

15 years and counting
    jamuhn, $45,000 may sound impressive but it's the amount of sales.
    Student Universe pay a flat $7 per order. With an average order of $500 it gives you 90 orders, let's say 100. So the total commission owned by Student Universe must be around $700, maybe up to $1000.
    Just to check hands with your lawyer, it's going to cost you $300. Add your time...
    I had to do it for large amount of money and I'm not sure it was worth all the trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by ridesign
    As a affiliate on Linkshare I promoted Student Universe and have generated over $45,000 of sales for them.

At the start of the year I noticed that I had not received any payments from Linkshare since last year so I contacted Linkshare and was told that there had been some error so none of my payments had been requested from the merchants, so I had not received payments since the last quarter of 2008, but I would start receiving payments now. When I received my payment I noticed that I had not received any payments for Student Universe so I contacted Linkshare, and was told someone would look into it, but no-one did.
    I phoned Linkshare a week later and a incident report was raised.

I was then told that all my Student Universe sales had been cancelled and to contact the merchant.
    I sent several emails to the merchant with no-luck, then 1 week later I rang up Student Universe, and was emailed the next day. I was told that my sales were cancelled as I had the word "discount" on my website. (This was not relating to any offers we have listed for Student Universe, for student universe we just have the banners from the Linkshare interface).
    I was told if I removed the word discount from my website I would receive all my payments.
    Even though I was not breaking any Student Universe terms I abided with this and sent a email, when I was told that they would only pay for commission from now on, and not pay for all the past commission since last year.

I emailed student universe back, but they did not reply.
    I contacted Linkshare and have been told Linkshare will not do anything even though all the sales were genuine, there is no one from Linkshare to Contact the merchant as Student Universe manage the program themselves so they can cancel any sale they wish.
    Has anyone noticed if this garbage has become worse since Rakuten bought Linkshare?

Affiliate Manager PingoPrepaidCallingCards's Avatar
    I'm sorry to hear this news. They are based in Boston and would suggest that its worth trying to climb up the ladder of command. If you have any more patience left to try to fight your case.
    Brian Hawkins AM @ [URL=http://www.pingo.com/affiliate.do]Pingo[/URL] Earn up to $35 CPA for a [URL=http://www.pingo.com/p/onedollar/onedollar.html]$1 trial offer[/URL]!
    [URL=http://www.twitter.com/TelecomAgents]@TelecomAgents[/URL] [URL=http://www.twitter.com/telephonecard]@TelephoneCard[/URL]

Thanks for disclose this information. I am glad that I did not put my effort with Linkshare.

Affiliate Manager PingoPrepaidCallingCards's Avatar
    affiliate commission
    I understand that this is frustrating. But i wouldn't throw out all relationships with merchants. Just because they host there affiliate program on Linkshare.

Its still about the direct relationship that you have with the merchant.
    Brian Hawkins AM @ [URL=http://www.pingo.com/affiliate.do]Pingo[/URL] Earn up to $35 CPA for a [URL=http://www.pingo.com/p/onedollar/onedollar.html]$1 trial offer[/URL]!
    [URL=http://www.twitter.com/TelecomAgents]@TelecomAgents[/URL] [URL=http://www.twitter.com/telephonecard]@TelephoneCard[/URL]

Angry
    EPIC FAIL @ Student Universe ....

Not paying commissions due to having a word Discount ??

Is this a "lets protect the brand" type of a deal ?

What gives ...

I see Discount ALLLLLLLLLLLL over there site .. tsk tsk

OpA! Giasou Ti kanies!

n/a
    Last edited by Bill; May 22nd, 2009 at 06:06 PM. Reason: Nevermind, not worth the hassle.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

I tried to contact the person responsible for head of marketing at student universe, but he did not reply, also they would not transfer my call to the marketing director either, nor did he return my call.

Well, if you are that intent on getting your payments due, I would get a lawyer to write them a letter threatening legal action if they do not meet their responsibilities under contract.

wow that is some major crap unbelievable

easy problem to solve
    You need to sue linkshare. get as much evidence as you can on paper as to why they closed your account.

go to the new york count small claims court web site. it will cost $20 per filing. you should be able to sue for the total $45,000. you will have to file more than one case against linkshare (take the total amount and divide it by the max amount per case, such as $5,000 per filing). there may be other limitations, such as you may only be able to file a max of 2 cases. then sue them for the damages in small claims court. you can file the case by mail and do not have to go to the courthouse to file the forms. then including a letter asking for all cases to be heard on the same day.

if you cannot sue for the total debt, then file additional suits in other states where linkshare has an office to recover the remaining debt.

if you do not file a court case, then you will get nowhere.

more info
    don't threaten legal action, and don't call them, and don't sit around and wait. you have to start filing lawsuits against linkshare and the advertiser. they will only respond to legal action. if you are not in litigation, you will never get a response out of them.

16. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread