Does anyone know if I need to add the "afsrc=1" to interactive links using form? And if so, how?

Thanks.

e.g.

[form method="get" action="http://www.qksrv.net/interactive" target="_top" >
    [img src="http://www.qksrv.net/image-1-12345" height="1" width="1" border="0">
    [table border="0" width="600" cellpadding="5" cellspacing="0">
    [tr>
    [td valign="top" width="10%">[img src="http://www.merchant.com/images/image.jpg" border="0">[/td>
    [td valign="top" >
    [b>[font size="4">Product Description[/font>[/b>[/p>
    [hr>
    [input type="hidden" name="pid" value="1">
    [input type="hidden" name="aid" value="12345">
    [input type="hidden" name="url" value="http://www.merchant.com/redirect.cgi?12345">
    [input type="submit" value="Buy">
    [/font> [/font>[/td>
    [/tr>
    [/table>
    [/form>

VAN.

Van,

You do not need to add afsrc to network pointing links. If you were to use server side redirects such as http://www.yourdomain.com/go.pl?id=45&afsrc=1 you would append the afsrc tag.

Akiva Bergstrom
    Affiliate Partner Manager
    <TABLE BORDER=0 cellspacing=2 width=500><TR><TD> <FONT SIZE=1>EssentialApparel.com
    CJ/6%/120 days/Datafeed/Parasite free
    Email: akiva@essentialapparel.com
    Phone: 973.696.6200 ext 751
    > Join now! < </TD><TD><FONT SIZE=1>SportsFanfare.com
    CJ/10%/120 days/Datafeed/Parasite free
    Email: akiva@sportsfanfare.com
    AIM: akivabergs
    > Join now! < </TD></TR></TABLE>

Defender of Truth, Justice and the Affiliate Way
    Haiko,

Can you jump in here. Wasn't there a problem with certain types of forms being redirected because the parasites weren't recognizing them as affiliate links? Did the networks fix that on their end? Seems these were interactive CJ links that were an issue in the past.

It's Your Money. You earned it. What are you going to do to make sure you get to keep it?

If I knew anything about his B I would help you, but seeing as I don't I will just post anyway in case I am the 200,000th post

Take care
    YouTrek.com

I need to ask a DUMP question and please answer it i want to KNOW!

What is afsrc to do with?

see how dumb am I, I even spell the word dumb wrongly!

Yes redfish we can see how dump you are

To try to answer your question, the afsrc=1 was brought in to (supposedly) keep the parasites off your affiliate links. You had to add this to the URL and it stoped them from stealing our commissions sorry I cannot help laughing, it seems to me the only people who cannot see through the bullshoot these parasites spew is the networks and merchants.

Anyway back to afsrc=1.
    Now this in itself to me was bloody stupid, it meant that any affiliates that did not add this to their links could have their comissions stolen by the parasites. Why the networks could not find the balls to tell the parasites to go and stuff themselves is beyond me, I guess the parasites must have been paying good backhanders, I know of one of them that even won the CJ affiliate of the year or some some shoot like that

Take care
    YouTrek.com

I thought you were talking about having a brain dump.

It's Your Money. You earned it. What are you going to do to make sure you get to keep it?

website A got it appended to the link.

Then visitor go to website B and click on another affiliate link (this is not parasite), will the cookie remain to website A or change to website B?

How can a parameter like that keep you away from parasite?

Hi all and thanks for the replies.

But I have another problem, as we're also using frameset redirects and Javascript redirects for our links, are these considered to be server side redirects or browser redirects? And do I need to append the "afsrc=1" then?

e.g.

[frameset border="0" framespacing="0" frameborder="0" rows="50,*">
    [frame name="header" src="topframe.htm" scrolling="NO" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="NO" border="0" noresize target="_parent">
    [frame name="body" src="http://www.qksrv.net/click-1-12345" target="_top" scrolling="AUTO" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0">
    [noframes>
    [a href="http://www.qksrv.net/click-1-12345">Click here to continue</a>
    [/noframes>

e.g.

[script language = "JavaScript">
    [!--
    location = "http://www.qksrv.net/click-1-12345";
    // -->
    [/script>

VAN.

Ms. B, I think you meant this sort of form redirect is not recognized by parasites?

e.g.

[form action="http://www.affiliatesite.com/redirect.cgi" method="GET" target="_blank">
    [input type="hidden" name="redirect" value="12345">
    [input type="image" value="banner" border="0" src="banners/12345.gif" width="468" height="60">
    [/form>

But how do we append the "afsrc=1" then?

Bloody parasites, why should we be the ones to conform to their standards and not the other way round?

VAN.

ABW Ambassador
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Bloody parasites, why should we be the ones to conform to their standards and not the other way round? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The main reason for the existance of the COC is not to necessarily protect normal affiliate commissions but to protect the "loyalty crowd". Their is an excellent article from the NYT that outlines some major reasons for the COC forming such as "your childs college rewards you thought you were building may be being diverted".

The networks do not want to be in the position to be blamed for these loyalty sites stealing from each other to the point it impacts a childs education so entered the COC to help circumvent these issues with potential consumer backlash and the negative damage it will do to the industry.

While many affiliates believe the COC was formed to protect them that's "a crock" IMO. The networks bread and butter is from the parasites and thats what the networks want to protect!

OK with that understood, the afsrc really should be used by all to identify all players (yes even the background software stealing parasites) and protect the parasites from fighting and stealing from each other too.

The problem - "networks allowing merchants to decide if diversion can be done on their site" and openly allowing diversion at the merchant site instead of on ours. What a crock - this doesn't protect an affiliate at all! This essentially means that even if they had put afsrc on all links it still didn't mean a thing when you hit the merchant site - so the very thing they would have liked the COC to proctect against ended up doing nothing! Put Ebates, WhenU, ShoAtHomeselect and others on the same pc and laugh at watching the diversions and popups and seeing "who will win the battle to get the cookie".

When ebates started putting afsrc on their links, it was a clear indication "they were still losing out in the diversion trickery" to other parasites and tried to seek every form of protection it could accordingly. They can still lose the battle of diversions at the merchant site though.

IMO - Until "all players" use afsrc, and the networks stop allowing diversions on affiliate sites "as well as merchant sites", the COC will continue to stand for "Crooks Overwriting Commissions".

TopMoxie has put code in their software to recognize that various parasites may be own a machine and to react so that they don't interfere with each other. But..., there are "customized versions" of the software, and it won't always work . Parasites don't want to play by someone elses rules either so multiple systems from different sources aren't going to honor each other.

The networks will likely work with "existing parasites" and parasites that they feel can "eventually work together to stop the stealing from each other" and "will likely not allow new players that aren't already making them significant income" to be in ugggh compliance. I'll betcha there is more than one reason they don't want us knowing who they find is in violation or not and what actions are taken.

All of this runs so "on the edge" with unfair trade practices, intentional development of monopolistic systems and interference in the right of people to fairly compete it's unbelievable nothing has yet to come of it. Surely it will though!

But what difference does it make to networks like CJ with regards to whom the commissions are paid to, parasites or ordinary affiliates?

Surely a sale is still a sale, whether it is from a cookie overwritten by a rogue affiliate or not, and ultimately it is still commissionable and payable by the networks, right?

Unless of course, the networks have shareholding stakes in them parasites. Do they?

As for parasites overwriting a merchant's cookies, I think it is partly the merchant's onus to drop the parasite as an affiliate and report to the networks, and maybe also air their grievances on public forums such as ABW for the benefit of others.

In the merchant's case, at least they have the option to prevent the parasites from stealing by refusing to work with them, hence also doing their affiliates a favour. But us play-by-the-book affiliates are left with the sole protection of "afsrc=1", to which so little is written by the networks regarding their proper usage, one really wonders about its effectiveness...

VAN.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>[form action="http://www.affiliatesite.com/redirect.cgi" method="GET" target="_blank"&gt;
    [input type="hidden" name="redirect" value="12345"&gt;
    [input type="image" value="banner" border="0" src="banners/12345.gif" width="468" height="60"&gt;
    [/form&gt;

But how do we append the "afsrc=1" then?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

IF it is needed, you would add it like this:

&lt;form action="http://www.affiliatesite.com/redirect.cgi" method="GET" target="_blank"&gt;
    &lt;input type="hidden" name="redirect" value="12345"&gt;
    &lt;input type="hidden" name="afsrc" value="1"&gt;
    &lt;input type="image" value="banner" border="0" src="banners/12345.gif" width="468" height="60"&gt;
    &lt;/form&gt;

Thanks TjĀ©, we'll give it a try!!

VAN.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Then visitor go to website B and click on another affiliate link (this is not parasite), will the cookie remain to website A or change to website B?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Change to website B as it should. The afsrc=1 only applies to software apps (like ebates, igive, SAHS, etc) which utilize software on the end users computer to recognize a merchants sites then redirect the end user back to the merchant's site through their afiliate link.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>But I have another problem, as we're also using frameset redirects and Javascript redirects for our links, are these considered to be server side redirects or browser redirects? And do I need to append the "afsrc=1" then?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Frames actually offer some protection of your links from parasite redirects. Many of them operate by recognizing the merchants url, so with the frame they never *see* the merchants url and so don't redirect. However, there can be some issues with the cookie being set with frames (that is IE 6.0 users).

JS should be ok if the url being called in the script is http://www.qksrv.net/click-1-12345 because that is a straight network link and the parasite should recognize it as such.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Ms. B, I think you meant this sort of form redirect is not recognized by parasites <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Van, all I know that Haiko found certain types of interactive links being offered through the networks that the paras were not detecting and were automatically redirecting. I'm not sure what came out of all of it. I never saw anything by the networks on how those types of links should be handled that I remember. I can't find the thread where it came up before. That's why I asked Haiko to pipe in here. I'm sure he'll have something to say when he's back on the boards again. What Tj posted may work, I'm just not certain.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>why should we be the ones to conform to their standards and not the other way round? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Indeed! And if we have to, then why doesn't the networks make it perfectly clear how to use the afscr=1 code to all affiliates? I've been asking them to do this for months. I even contacted each network individually and posted their responses here. But still we see nothing in their help sections or in their link generation interfaces.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> But what difference does it make to networks like CJ with regards to whom the commissions are paid to, parasites or ordinary affiliates?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Exactly!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Unless of course, the networks have shareholding stakes in them parasites. Do they?
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Not that I'm aware.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> Frames actually offer some protection of your links from parasite redirects. Many of them operate by recognizing the merchants url, so with the frame they never *see* the merchants url and so don't redirect. However, there can be some issues with the cookie being set with frames (that is IE 6.0 users). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wonder if we would still get credit for immediate-action sales even if the cookie does not set properly on the buyer's PC (IE 6.0 default security settings), any ideas? I remember reading about 2 different types of cookies that are in use for the case of CJ tracking, where one determines the return days, and the other does something else.

FWIW, we actually use a bit of everything, frames, JS, direct links, interactive links, the whole works, but I have to say conversion is more or less the same for the same type of merchants. Hmmm.

But thanks anyway, Ms.B

VAN.

Can you tell me what is
    &afsrc=1
    mean ?

When and what type of affiliate links should i add it in the end ?

Who propose this method?

Is this still useful now ?

Thanks

http://8n.nu

I think it means "affiliate source" and identifies the link as being on an affiliate site. It is supposed to prevent software apps from popping up and overwriting your cookie.

If the links you've created for your site were the standard ones generated from the network, you don't need to use this code. It only has to be added to links that are modified somehow, for instance if you run them through a cgi-bin.

Andy

Thanks Andy

this mean that if i simply use the original link provided in the network, my affiliate link will prevent the pop up/software to overwrite my links ?

now, some webmasters are using re-direct to bypass norton block up text links, then they have to add afsrc=1 in their re-direct links?

http://8n.nu

Yes, in theory network generated links are supposed to "protect" you from the parasites.

If you use a redirect, I would add the afsrc=1 code to the link.

Andy

Im still not sure...

When im using redirect,
    Do i have to add it to the qksrv.net link
    or to the domain.com/redirect.htm link

I like traffic lights
    Southern hemisphere - away from Fukushima
    I think you add it to the domain.com/redirect.htm in your HTML.

Which is a pain, becasue then spiders think you have a dynamically generated website.

And if THAT'S where you add it, then surely these cokkie stealers are actually monitoring every click on your page - even the ones going between different pages.

Anyone ever had one of these scum pop up while navigating a site?

George Orwell got the date wrong

24. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread