I've received an email requesting to buy, flat rate, some ad space from this company.

Now, I'm not overly impressed with the company they want me to put on my site so I'll turn them down, but their "advertising" is an interesting twist on Google Page rank. For your money you get not only advertising but, assumidly, a better page rank/lisiting in Google.

I've searched the forums here to see if anyone had spoken of them but didn't find anything. Anyone dealt with them before? Should I say no but feel free to contact me again or should I say no, please don't contact me (the latter is my gut feeling...)

Any scheme that seeks to artificially boost your PageRank is very dangerous.

However, if Google detect this activity they might decide to give the advertiser a pr0 penalty.. and the sites linking in can get a variety of penalties too, sometime pr0 or sometimes the increasingly common "has PageRank but cannot pass it" penalty.

Just to quote from their site: "IT'S LIKE HAVING AN UNFAIR INTERNET MARKETING ADVANTAGE". Exactly. Google tends to come down pretty hard on that sort of thing.

My personal feeling is to play it safe.

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

[This message was edited by Dynamoo on February 10, 2004 at 07:58 AM.]

ABW Ambassador
    I'll second Dynamoo's advice. Avoid them.

Hadn't looked at it that way, but very valid advice, thanks.

The way I was looking at it was they were sending the publisher (me) PR0 pages so these pages could boost their ranking.

Having MY site linked to a schwack of PR0 sites wouldn't actually be in my favour now, would it?

I've responded with a "no thanks and please don't contact me in the future".

5. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread