Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ABW Ambassador
    I got an email from cj.com regarding data feed for product links:

"Dear Commission Junction Publisher,

Thank you for your interest in receiving a data feed for your Commission Junction Advertisers' Product Catalog Data. We are happy to inform you that the feature you have requested will be upgraded and migrated into a more robust system on December 6th, 2002. On Monday December 9th, 2002 Commission Junction will start accepting requests from all of our Publisher to have access to this functionality.

The criteria for having a request, for this feature, processed is that the individual Publisher account making the request earn a minimum of $10,000 in revenue the month prior, within our Pay Per Performance Network. If that criteria is not met a $200 one time set-up fee will be required for access. .............

Is there anyone with such a revenue? Or is that an amount where every affiliate has to pay?

carneol

The kindler, gentler, more respectful me will not comment on this until the current, livid, me has a chance to cool off. -- [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]
    I have not received this email. Has anyone else?
    Has anyone who is already using the feeds received this?
    Is anything else of interest mentioned on the remainder of that email, Carneol?

Game on!!!!

Well, CJ would probably have a lot more $10,000 per month publishers if they'd boot eBates off their system!

Bad move, CJ!

Andy

AFFILIATE MARKETING STANDARD: The site upon which the initial action to buy occurs is the site the commission is paid to. Period.

I just received the same email. Good grief!

I was under the assumption (guess I was wrong!) that being an affiliate should not cost me anything. Last time I looked, I was the one driving the traffic to make the sale. Now I have to pay to receive a tool I'm wanting and needing to send pre-sold traffic??

I guess there goes plans for us making the sites we were planning on making for several merchants. Between eBates keeping our earnings down and now having to pay for tools that should be free to us, I feel like I'm being slapped down every time I turn around.

ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    Well, yes it would be nice to be free, but doesn't Linkshare also have a set up fee. Would be very nice if they would at least review the ctiteria to you must have a certain amount of $ signs rating instead.

WW

It was so cold last winter that I saw a lawyer with his hands in his own pockets.

I have a horrible thought and question. The product links that are in each merchant's "get links" section where you can pick up an individual product. This new "Advertisers' Product Catalog Data" is not going to do away with that, is it? Or replace it? Like we will be forced into paying $200 in order to get a link to a product for a merchant? Please someone reassure me that the product links for merchants already existing that we get today are not going away.

Oh yay! Something to make things easier for Ebates!

Connie Berg
    www.flamingoworld.com

WW Linkshare does in fact charge for it, however it is my understanding that each and every merchant who is a part of that program has to maintain and update that feed daily.
    Without having read the message from CJ for myself, I am concerned that now we will be paying for a tool which a) was free and b) has never been updated by quite a few merchants.

I don't think publishers(affiliates) should have to pay for tools like this which will only draw revenue into both the merchants and CJ's coffers.
    I would love to have more clarification from CJ on this.

Game on!!!!

ABW Ambassador
    Merchants who provide indidual product links would be insane to remove them in my opinion.

There will be many affiliates who will not use data feeds for their sites. Taking direct linking away would only reduce the amount of sales they currently get.

Smart merchants will want to optimize sales at every level! Any move to eliminate direct linking would only signal they want to push smaller affiliates out of the game which doesn't make senses at the merchant level.

If the merchant cut individual checks and had expenses for each affiliate maybe.... but the networks fees once established are likely static and does not rise for having 100 affiliates vs 1000 affiliates.

How many zero day cookie merchants are supplying direct links or data feeds? Not many right. Why?

They just want that banner up for branding because they're right around the corner from everywhere. They really don't give a crap about online sales.

Merchants who really want online sales will provide the tools at all levels.

I currently get the feed from CJ but didn't get this email. At this point, my feelings are split on this. Of the 3 feeds I get now, not one IMO is worth anything. They're basically all the products thrown into a text file with very little or no thought.

The Gogamer feed has almost all products in the same category. How are we supposed to query that in a database without going through each and every product? The PCMall and MacMall feed isn't much better. They have more than one category but it seems like they just put products in any category, regardless of whether it should be in there or not. So, it's almost as bad as Gogamer. I found myself constantly searching through the text file trying to make some sense of it. Many products are listed under "Monitor Accessories", like Laptops. Come on people, laptops are not monitor accessories. A search for "networking" should not show CorelDraw. After about a week of that I finally gave up last night.

On the other hand, if that's one thing they are fixing it would be worth $200. I would like to see a sample, though, before I waste $200 or anymore time. The current feeds I get from CJ are worthless. Good feeds would certainly be worth $200, at least to me.

The LinkShare feeds are much better and worth the $125 paid for them. A couple of them are not that great but the worst ones I have from LinkShare are far better than any of the ones I get from CJ now. If you hand code each and every product page, then you may like the CJ feeds.

For me, the jury is still out on this one. Now I have CJ feeds that are worthless to me. If they improve the feeds, I may pay the $200. Just my 2 cents.

I think we'll still be able to use product links as before, becasue datafeeds are different than direct product links.

In Linkshare example, you're able to build product links for merchants who enable that feature, without paying for Linkshare Merchandiser. CJ would do the same, I believe.

Personally, I'm not in favor of fact that everyone has easy access to datafees/product catalogs/merchandiser because most affiliates just use it make "easy sites", which is, in my opinion, just more garbage on the Internet.

Datafeeds/merchandisers are good for:
    > Product Search
    > Product/Price Comparisons
    > Product Selections by querying the catalog
    > etc.

I mean, you should have some useful purpose of using datafeeds, other than copying a merchant's catalog and republishing it.

So, they may be trying to prevent misuse of these features with these restrictions.

I know of the functionality of the datafeed and if it is as described it would be a bargain at $200, even though I thought it would remain free.

I'd like an official announcement from Todd before I post, they may have changed what I "understand" the functionality and features to be.

Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli

Now, I'm really curious to see the features and a sample. Any idea where we can get more info on this?

Hey I got the email as as well..

It does have some logic behind it. As the demand for datafeeds becomes more popular, such as what has taken place through ABW, they have to give more and more resources to the area. If you aren't able to show them that you have a proven record of producing returns, then they aren't willing to devote the time to you on the off chance that you become successful down the track (unless you pay up front). Like any business, they need to cover their costs, and as always it's the small player that misses out.

BTW, the above doesn't mean that I agree with CJ's decision.. I just think it has some business merit for them.. After all, they are in the business of making money like the rest of us..

Is CJ saying that I now have to pay for the privilege to sell for them?

quote:
    Is CJ saying that I now have to pay for the privilege to sell for them?

Just think of it as CJ Tupperware.. but don't worry, you'll get your money back for your kit after you've had about 2 parties at your web site [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

carneol - Ask CJ if they will let you include a portion of ebates revenue...

"Don't let yesterday take up to much of today."

I also can see the reasoning for charging for this whether I like with it or not.
    So ultimately here is why I was angry about this message.
    1) I expected this change to be done a couple of weeks ago.
    2) I was under the impression it would be free as NO mention was made of having to pay for this and the existing system had no charge.
    3) I don't have a "staff" who I can throw this project at.
    By the last I mean this; how do they expect sites that actually use the feeds to just switch over everything at the drop of a hat? Especially during Christmas. It takes time to make changes in scripts, layouts etc for all the different feeds that there are. It seems that they assume affiliates using their service have large tech departments and can put 5, 10 or more people on to the job of switching over.

That said, I am glad something is being done about the feeds. I would pay for the use of QUALITY datafeeds because the type of sites I am building, especially the one I have been working on lately require it. If there were assurances that merchants maintained them on a regular basis and actually provided complete information then great.
    Haiko's post is promising, but in reality I can't afford to toss a few hundred bucks at CJ for a while. Boy I better go make some pages.
    What a day [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_rolleyes.gif[/img] [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_razz.gif[/img]

Game on!!!!

The cost to get a data feed is to cover setting up a special feed - either FTP (push to you or pull from us), http or email (email is limited to 2MB). The new functionality provides data feeds in any delimited format (pipe, tab, comma) or in XML. Furthermore, we can encrypt and/or digitally sign the feeds for added security. This is a one time cost to get this (optional) functionality. Not every publisher needs this functionality. Access to individual product links from the members area will still be available to publishers at no cost.

And yes there are publishers that earn more than $10k per month.

Todd Crawford
    Commission Junction

Todd, is there somewhere we can get more information? What merchants will offer this? I'm very interested if these feeds are accurate, up to date, and have some logic to them. Would be nice to not have to dish out $200 but believe it would be worth it.

Todd-that makes it sound like for those who do not need or want to additional functionality- we can still get the feeds like we do now- correct?

I am just starting to use cj in place on some of my new sites solely because of the datafeed. I won't pay for it at this point- which means I won't use cj- i'll stick with the places that i have free feeds.

I'm holding off work tonight- i didn't get this email or i would have stopped earlier. Looks like I'm playing with linkshare sites tonight :-)

ABW Ambassador
    I would have said a $$$$$ status, or $1000, but $10000 is high enought to make me think that there is a strong reason to do that, also knowing that $200 is not too much for $2000 earners make me think that the reason is that they do not want to setup feeds that would not be used at all. But for that $100 would be enought.

Other posiblity is to build some budget to maintain datafeeds up to date.

Well guys, now we know what is the break point to be considered a big affiliate player by CJ, the $$$$$$ (6) Status comes at $10000 (TOP 1% ?)

Fer

Can someone tell me where I can read and learn about data feeds? How to use them? How they work? Etc?
    Thanks.

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    I must say, the timing of this Sucks, because just a couple of days ago I said that one of the good things about CJ was "they don't charge for datafeeds"... (drums fingers on desk).

But on the other hand, I have seen numerous posts here where a person will request a feed and then say, "I've got this feed, now what am I supposed to do with it"! [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_eek.gif[/img] If CJ got a lot of that happening, no wonder they decided to charge! The fee should screen out people who get the feed but may never actually use it. Some seem to be surprised to find out that the feed won't, in effect, just *become* a site on its own...

As for improvements in the feed, yes--some would be nice. The improvements I'd most like to see are: Products that are always up to date, and images that always show up!

I myself will wait a month before having CJ update my feed, because after this holiday season the cost to me should be Free.

There is no knowledge that is not power.~~Ralph Waldo Emerson

I got the same Email to after requesting the datafeed. I don't believe there should be a cost at all to get a datafeed. We our partners to merchants and I think It should be up to the merchant itself if they want to charge to provide such a datafeed to there partners.

Jason

Santa Cruz, CA 95060

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast