Affiliate commissions and quality of hosting
    Sorry if it is a silly question. Could it happen that a hosting company is hijacking commissions its clients are getting from affiliate programs through websites hosted there?

I have been hosting my websites at a large hosting company which over the years proved to be a very reliable one. However in the last few months something unusual happened there.
    First I noticed the a piece of code had been inserted in the code of my webpages (server violated by hackers I supposed first). That code seemed be something of an affiliate link. For sure it was preventing GoogleAdSense code I placed on my pages to work.

With AdSense I noticed a dramatically drop of my revenues over the last few months (even after that I removed the malicious code inserted in my pages,). I have not operated any changes on the website and the stats show that neither number page views nor unique visits are decreased.
    Nearly the same happens for my revenues from other affiliate programs. Again, nothing I changed there.

A week ago, when accessing to my server Control Panel I noticed last login was from an unknown IP. I asked hosting company what did happen, they replied that as they also have remote techs, the unknown IP could be attributed to one of remote techs performing routine actions there; but they frankly said that were not 100% sure.

Even if I sometimes tend to associate my commissions revenues drop with the server problems, hope no any trouble is going on with my server. However I would be curious to hear if anybody experienced problems with hosting companies about this matter.

Thanks

ABW Ambassador
    If you have any doubts about your hosting company, then you are with the wrong hosting company anyway.

ABW Ambassador
    Free web hostings do insert ads on your pages. Is yours free or paid.

Free web hostings do insert ads on your pages. Is yours free or paid
    It's paid hosting. I never use free hosting.

When I submitted the problem -- unknown code inserted in my pages -- they replied by telling it could be a case of account password compromised. I changed my password and implemented all of the security measures on my account as they suggested to do.
    However the poor revenues from affiliate commissions remain, despite my website statistics are showing a different scenario. And that happens with all the affiliate networks.

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Why don't you insert fresh code into your account?

Check the Header, Descrip and Meta tags on the pages you change, make sure that the content of the pages match the tags and make sure that the google ads have the same look and feel as your site.

Should solve all of your problems.

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Julian
    If you have any doubts about your hosting company, then you are with the wrong hosting company anyway.
    Never a truer quote!

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    You should re-upload all your pages and overwrite the current pages. Check again in a week or month or so and if you find any changes or extra code, find another server. If your domain is registered with this host, then do a transfer to a domain service like godaddy or cheapdomain.com - they will help you take the steps needed to extract the domain from the server (and your current host will probably make it difficult!). Then, after you have control of DNS settings, get a new host and change DNS settings to direct to the new host. If you already have the domain registered separately, then simply get a new host, upload your site to the new host, and change DNS settings. Don't forget to cancel auto-renew at your old host.

A note about Adsense income: It can drop a bit as we get into the summer months for some content niches. Mine does anyway.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

You should re-upload all your pages and overwrite the current pages...
    I did that when I removed the malicious code that was added to my pages.

My domain registrars are other than hosting companies, so moving to another server would be pretty easy.
    However moving to other server is the last option I am looking to. As I told I have been hosting there for five years with no problems.

As I have already heard about how dangerous parasite software can be for stealing commissions, I have searched for software helping protect affiliate marketers from commission theft.
    I wonder if this sort of software provide real protection against commissions theft. Could parasoftware reside on the server? What are the basic remedies an affiliate would take against parasoftware?

Thanks

It definitely sounds like something is up here, sorry this is happening to you. You say that you have been with this hosting company for 5 years, with no problems, but they could have recently hired someone new into the company who is doing things that he/she shouldn't have (like stealing affiliate commissions somehow).

Are your affiliate links cloaked? If not, you might want to check into that, I'm not sure if that will help or not, but it's worth a shot.

Also, before cloaking your links, I would do a small test purchase through your own link to make sure that you are getting credit for it. If the test purchase goes through without a problem, then you know your not getting your commissions stolen from. If you don't get credit for it, then you know something is up, and it's time to look for a new host, and report the problem to them.

Are your affiliate links cloaked? If not, you might want to check into that, I'm not sure if that will help or not, but it's worth a shot.
    No, They are not. I know many affiliate networks allow affiliates to have links cloaked when creating links. However with datafeed I am afraid you don't have this option. I am making a large use of datafeed to integrate merchant catalogs into my pages.

(P.S. Sorry for the typo in my previous post, I meant, "Parasite Software" - not "parasoftware")

Outsourced Program Manager TrishaLyn's Avatar
    Out of curiosity, do you care to share the hosting company? Someone else might be able to chime in with their experiences to either set your mind at ease to confirm your suspicions.
    Trisha Lyn Fawver

@TrishaLyn | My Managed Merchants

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread