Nice traffic bump, but
    ... when you get them from stories like these, it's tough to be happy about them.

News is such a weird market. It really is a commodity market where just about any site can take articles from news feeds and publish on their own sites. I know many feed sources are trying to get compensation for the articles they write, but many news sites are flooding their sites with news articles from numerous sources. Some get lucky and get a nice search ranking and a flood of new visitors who read/comment on the story.

Do people come in and read the story and then leave?

Do some of the visitors explore the rest of the site?

Do news visitors click on ads?

I'm still dumbfounded that the New York Times has so many visitors online and yet make less revenue online compared to what they make with their print edition. At least this is how it was the last time I heard stats about it.
    [URL=http://www.investeverymonth.com]InvestEveryMonth.com[/URL] - Build Wealth

Our visitors tend to stick around a bit.

As for the revenue issue, that's been a problem for news sites for a long, long time. They've spent so much time figuring out how to do their content better, they never built a business model.

But it's important to note that print advertising is exponentially more expensive than online advertising. I mean, a relatively small print package in one of our newspapers might cost $2,000 bucks for a few days, but we've got packages online that start at less than $100 ... for the month!

I would think the high cost of print advertising and the low cost of online advertsing will balance out over time. Especially since an online ad allows the visitor to click and take ation while allowing tracking and better ROI calculations.
    [URL=http://www.investeverymonth.com]InvestEveryMonth.com[/URL] - Build Wealth

Quote Originally Posted by phillyburbs
    ... when you get them from stories like these, it's tough to be happy about them.
    I honestly cannot see what the problem is. You have a news story that has attracted some traffic. You have some banner ads on the page to monetize the site. No opt in form though which is something to consider
    [URL="http://www.affiliatemarketingintro.com"]Affiliate Marketing Basics[/URL]

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread