ABW Ambassador
    Google's New Interface is TERRIBLE
    Does anybody try out Google’s new interface?

Today my Google account interface was automatically set to new as a default (I have 30 days to switch back to old one). In the past hours, I was playing around it and see how it works. All I can say is: It is TERRIBLE . Very very slow and take way too many steps just to get one simple edit task done.

I don't know what Google was thinking. They have the best interface (old one) compare to yahoo and MSN. Now they are doing something terrible to discourage their old customers to keep using adwords.

I sent them a very negative feedback on the new interface after trying it out. Hopefully they will bring back the old interface or at least give both options.

I just used the new AdWords interface today, for the first time. (My understanding is that Google will be forcing everyone to move to the new interface over the next month or so, so switching back to the old interface will still be temporary.)

Yes, it's slower than the old interface, and my first reaction is that it's somewhat more difficult to get the information I want. But that's after spending less than 20 minutes using the new interface.

There is a huge issue, however: it appears that the new interface simply won't work on my iPhone. I can access the MCC level interface from the iPhone, but when I try to access an individual client account, there is a long delay ("Loading...") and eventually it resets the browser completely. It happened several times; I've now placed a call in to Google AdWords Support.

I have returned to the "old interface," but I am extremely uncomfortable with the notion that the new interface might not work with my iPhone, which I have found to be an absolutely essential tool for monitoring and tweaking accounts while away from my regular computer.

FYI, I've shifted over (long ago) to doing nearly all my campaign modification work using the AdWords Editor.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    I have been using it for about 2-3 weeks.
    It sure takes a lot of getting used to.

I only use it whenever I cannot make easy or fast changes in Google Editor.

I am not sure but i think it was designed for a widescreen monitor. Cannot easily view everything on one screen without scrolling to the right.
    Last edited by Eric Ewe; May 28th, 2009 at 06:05 PM.

I did notice that with the new interface, I can view ALL keywords (or ALL ads) in my account, sorted by clicks or impressions. This isn't available in the old interface.

I just launched a set of test campaigns today, with 725 ad groups spread across a dozen campaigns. As with any campaign, it's important for me to monitor the higher-traffic keywords, so I can tweak the campaigns (adding negative keywords, maybe pausing an ad group that's drawing unexpected levels of traffic). The new interface did seem to make this easier. Alas, this is the kind of work I would normally want to do from my iPhone during off-hours.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by markwelch
    Yes, it's slower than the old interface, and my first reaction is that it's somewhat more difficult to get the information I want.
    The new interface is definitely slower than the old one. I think it is because the new interface is trying to load the campaign graphic every time I refresh the page. I don't really need to see the graphic each time when I open a page. With the old interface, I have the option to do data analysis if I want to.

I did notice that with the new interface, I can view ALL keywords (or ALL ads) in my account, sorted by clicks or impressions. This isn't available in the old interface.
    You can still sort keywords by clicks or impressions. Just click on "clicks", it will sort keywords by clicks. And it is a lot faster to sort with the old interface

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Ewe
    I am not sure but i think it was designed for a widescreen monitor. Cannot easily view everything on one screen without scrolling to the right.
    That's another annoying thing I hate about

It appears they still haven't added an account-wide search bar. For managing large accounts, that was the quickest way to navigate around and make quick edits. I'll have to get more familiar with Editor if they can't add it. Very surprising for the "search leader" to lack such a basic and common tool. Yes they have some filtering tools that accomplish the same thing but it adds a couple more steps.

just be patience guys i hope it just a beta version, i know google will find solution to many problems we encountered with the new interface

It didn't work very well in my (up-to-date) browser at all, it suggested that I used something completely different.

Sure, the old interface was clunky. This new one just seems nonfunctional.
    Innovative advertising with Slimeware Corporation and Telephore. Mail-order fuel with Petrol Direct.

Count me in the group that liked the old interface better, although the new one is starting to grow on me a bit.

I tried loading the AdWords site on my iPhone today, too (the power was out here most of the day) and couldn't get it to work. I was hoping that they had a mobile site designed for the iPhone. I can't imagine the scrolling that would be required on an iPhone, though. I have a 17" widescreen laptop and it doesn't all fit on that.

I've been shifting to using the AdWords Editor more and more. Very nice tool.
    Michael Coley
    Amazing-Bargains.com
     Affiliate Tips | Merchant Best Practices | Affiliate Friendly? | Couponing | CPA Networks? | ABW Tips | Activating Affiliates
    "Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world." Nelson Mandela

ABW Ambassador
    I forced myself to use the new interface whenever I login just so I can get used to it. It loads too slow and the editing function just awkward. I finally switched back to the good old interface again. I choose to keep myself happy as long as possible until the day comes.

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by MichaelColey
    I've been shifting to using the AdWords Editor more and more. Very nice tool.
    Editor is a nice tool but it does not help with conversion, etc.. nice tool but i wish it was was tied to some data from the interface

Well after a couple months of using the new interface, I've found it much faster and user-friendly. It takes some getting used to, but I'm definitely more productive because of it.
    Your Ad Here.

ABW Ambassador
    I'm getting use to it now. The speed is a lot faster(maybe they got enough of my complains in the feedback )

I like the spreadsheet editor function in the new interface. But I still miss some of the old functions such as the ability to check each destination URL's landing page...

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar
    it appears that the new interface simply won't work on my iPhone.
    Ironic considering the release of the Droid...hmmmm
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

Quote Originally Posted by mayfly
    But I still miss some of the old functions such as the ability to check each destination URL's landing page...
    What specifically do you mean by that? It's probably something that's also in the new interface.

Quote Originally Posted by MattMcWilliams
    Ironic considering the release of the Droid...hmmmm
    Mark posted that back in May, which was before the iPhone 3GS came out... but the new AdWords web interface does work on the 3GS (but not the 3G). It doesn't work on the Droid, apparently.

Personally, I'm still annoyed at the new interface. I'd like to have the option of using the old one.
    --

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Rehan
    What specifically do you mean by that? It's probably something that's also in the new interface.
    On the old interface, you can click on each keyword's destination URL to check if it links to the right page.

I don't see that on the new interface.

17. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread