I need to get an inexpensive color printer for my mother-in law (seems like a fair swap anyway ...).

I'd tend towards getting an Epson C62 'cos I've got one and I got one for my parents (spot the family tech support), except for one problem ...

... unless they're used regularly/frequently, I find that it takes several cycles of nozzle cleaning/testing before they're fit for use again.

So my question:

Is anyone aware of/can recommend a color printer that can be expected to work when called on, even if that is infrequently.

Color lasers are really out of the question, so it's probably a question of whether any inkjet manufacturers have specifically tackled this prob.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or leads.

--------------
    Are you Crazy?

I just picked up a HP psc 1110 for my home office, and simply love it.

It’s a copier, printer, and scanner all in one package. I found the darned thing on sale at Wal-Mart while I was looking at film. The box was tore up but the price was perfect and I have not had a single problem with it.

I decided to get my mom one for her birthday since it does it all. The less stuff she has to try to figure out the better.

SandraR

Modified
    The tore up box was $80.00

$120 for the one I picked up for mom

http://h50025.www5.hp.com/hpcom/in_e...72_Q1652A.html

[This message was edited by SandraR on February 11, 2004 at 05:21 PM.]

ABW Ambassador
    How inexpensive do you mean?

This one is pretty good for the price:
    HP All-in-One

------------------------------
    "It be's dat way sumtimes." ~ Coco B. Ware

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Chief_Beef:
    How inexpensive do you mean?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Your inexpensive and my inexpensive are 2 different things

SandraR

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Lexmark PrinTrio Photo P3150 All in One! $50 mail-in rebate with purchase of Desktop or Notebook computer.

With 35mm photo quality resolution and built-in memory card readers that accepts CompactFlash I & II, Memory Stick, Multimedia, Secure Digital, SmartMedia and Microdrive; the PrinTrio Photo P3150 is your personal photo studio. Borderless, 6-color inks for professional photo prints and copies. Host-based black, white and photo copies. Reprint your favorite photos with the push of a button. 48-bit CIS flatbed color scanner easily handles books, traditional photographs and more. Up to 4800 x 1200 dpi on photo paper; up to 2400 x 1200 dpi on all other paper types.

$49.00 for the savvy shopper
    http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...SRCCODE=BEFREE

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    Go HP. Like you said, Epsons don't work well if used infrequently, and cartridge prices for Lexmark are outragous. I'm totally happy with my HP.

Michael

Kudos for the HP printers. They can't make computers worth a spit but their printers are nice. I have the photosmart 7150 and it's the best printer I've had out of 5 so far.

Thanks for all the feedback.

The key issue really is the printers ability to sit unused for a while and then spring into action when required without having to be revitalised with nozzle pumping, head cleaning etc.

Inexpensive meant not a laser really.

Hadn't thought about a multifunction printer - that might be useful as the main reason for getting her a laptop is so she can can keep in touch with her family overseas. Scanning stuff to email would be good.

Ink price isn't a massive problem given the anticipated low usage.

So - those HP printers. Are you all using them constantly, or - as EmDub suggests - can they sit around for a while without crusting up?

--------------
    Are you Crazy?

ABW Ambassador
    NotSoCrazyGuy -

Haven't had mine long enough to encounter the issues you mention here. All I can say is that the print quality is decent and I'm pleased with what I got for my money.

------------------------------
    "It be's dat way sumtimes." ~ Coco B. Ware

I bought the HP psc 2410 last saturday and I love it! It's fast, got many options and prints high quality too!

I use it a few times a day so I can't tell you if they can sit around for a while without crusting up.

11. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread