How to Insert SID into CJ Datafeed URLs
    How would I insert SIDs into the URLs of a CJ datafeed?
    Is it possible?

Thanks
    Tami

I just wanted to stipulate that I want to be able to insert the SID= command using Webmerge with CJ datafeeds, though I guess it is apparent since I am within the Webmerge forum.

I was thinking it might be possible using the find and replace command? I cannot get it to work.

Anyone?

Thanks
    Tami

If you want to use the same SID for every link in a particular feed, you can just hardcode it into your template before you generate the pages.

If you want to insert some other quantifier (sku, etc), just code your template so that Webmerge will insert the data from that field into the right spot in your generated code.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Affiliate Manager
    Can you post you WM-Field tag so we can see how it's put together? Should be a snap to replace part of the feed with your SID.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Quote Originally Posted by FourthWorld
    Can you post you WM-Field tag so we can see how it's put together? Should be a snap to replace part of the feed with your SID.
    What I want to do is have a unique SID per product link. I thought using each products SKU would supply that.

I also thought that I had read somewhere in the CJ forum that the SID has to be embedded within the link, not tacked on the end, which would be easier. I am placing the SID where it is within the product link when generated in CJ.

Here is the WM-Field Tag I am toying with:

[WM-Field: BUYURL replace("?url","?sid=[WM-Field:SKU]&url")]

Does not work, link does go through to product, but no SID is generated.

Thanks so much,

Tami

It's been quite a while since I've used Webmerge, but I'm pretty sure this should work...

[WM-Field: BUYURL]&sid=[WM-Field: SKU]

"Yesterday we obeyed kings and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to truth..." - Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by AWaR
    It's been quite a while since I've used Webmerge, but I'm pretty sure this should work...

[WM-Field: BUYURL]&sid=[WM-Field: SKU]

I am editing this post because, I spoke too soon, It Worked!
    I did not look at your code closely and was expecting the SID to be inserted within the URL and it was at the end.

I am presuming that it is ok to put the sid code at the end of the URL?

Thanks!

Tami
    Last edited by Tami; June 2nd, 2009 at 09:10 PM.

Affiliate Manager
    Tami, what does the generated output you're getting look like?
    Richard Gaskin

Tami, what does the generated output you're getting look like?
    The visual output is a product image with text.
    The generated URL:
    httpwwwAffiliateUrl&sid=ProductSKU

My concern is that this link structure is acceptable to CJ/Merchants.
    And of course that it will track and convert.

Thanks,

Tami

Affiliate Manager
    Wouldn't the URL normally have a "?" before the CGI params?
    Richard Gaskin

Richard... You're perfectly correct... it should be a "?"... My bad on that one... So the code should be:
    [WM-Field: BUYURL]?sid=[WM-Field: SKU]

Tami... I just went into CJ and picked an advertiser at random, then made one of thier links with "sid"... it added it straight on to the end of the link, in both the encrypted and unencrypted versions...

If the SKU field you're using as the sid, has spaces in it, then you'll have to replace the space with a "+"... If it's just numbers, there's no need to change anything

Here's the code for that...
    [WM-Field: BUYURL]?sid=[WM-Field: SKU replace(" ","+")]

Happy coding

Colin
    "Yesterday we obeyed kings and bent our necks before emperors. But today we kneel only to truth..." - Kahlil Gibran

Richard... You're perfectly correct... it should be a "?"... My bad on that one... So the code should be:
    [WM-Field: BUYURL]?sid=[WM-Field: SKU]

Tami... I just went into CJ and picked an advertiser at random, then made one of thier links with "sid"... it added it straight on to the end of the link, in both the encrypted and unencrypted versions...

If the SKU field you're using as the sid, has spaces in it, then you'll have to replace the space with a "+"... If it's just numbers, there's no need to change anything

Happy coding

Colin
    Colin,

Thank You so much for all the research you did! I really appreciate it!

And Thank You Richard from FourthWorld for catching the missing "?"

Tami

Affiliate Manager
    No problem. Glad you're up and running with that.
    Richard Gaskin

Use Product Titles instead of SKU

Happy coding

Colin
    I would like to use the Product Title instead of the SKU for the SID.
    But, I know there is a limit on how many characters you can use.

Is there a Webmerge command that will limit the characters used from the titles?

I would still need to eliminate the spaces as well. Is it possible to just remove the spaces instead of replacing the space with a character?

Thanks!
    Tami

I don't know about webmerge limiting characters, but you DO need to replace any space with a + sign...

To use the product title field, just replace SKU in the above code, to the field name of your choice

Colin

Affiliate Manager
    Quote Originally Posted by Tami
    Is there a Webmerge command that will limit the characters used from the titles?
    Yes: v2.5 now includes an optional maxLen attribute for the WM-Field tag, which lets you specify the number of characters it will display. It rounds down on word boundaries for a natural look, and adds an ellipsis ("...") at the end whenever the text has been truncated.

For details see the section on the WM-Field tag in WebMerge Help.
    Richard Gaskin

I don't know about webmerge limiting characters, but you DO need to replace any space with a + sign...

To use the product title field, just replace SKU in the above code, to the field name of your choice
    Colin
    My main concern is too many characters. I think the limit for the SID is 128 characters?

Thanks,
    Tami

Help SID not reporting
    Sorry to say but inserting the SID at the end of the CJ datafeed product URL is not reporting the SID in reports. If I insert the SID where it normally goes between the ? and the url=, then it does report the SID.

I have been searching high and low for the answer to this. I have tried macros, functions, etc in Open Office Calc, and have become very frustrated.

I thought if it is not possible in Webmerge then I will process the datafeed in Open Office Calc. You would think it would be a simple task! Copy the SID from the SID column and insert between the ? and url=

Help!

Does anyone know a way of automating this either in Open Office, Excel or Webmerge or any other way? I can't believe I cannot figure this out!

Thanks
    Tami

Affiliate Manager
    I had thought you'd had this working. Sorry to see it's still unresolved, but I'll be we can get that working well for you very quickly.

The WM-Field tag simply copies data from the specified field into wherever that tag is on the page. If used in an index page it will by default write that data as a link to the corresponding detail page, but you can turn that off with the nolink attribute:

[WM-Field: SID nolink]

So if your feed contains valid SIDs and the rest of the URL is correct, it should be as simple as putting the tag I just wrote above into the URL in your template wherever you would put the SID yourself if you were doing it manually.

If this brief explanation doesn't resolve this, please post the relevant portions of your template and the generated output so we can see what's going on there. Thanks -
    Richard Gaskin

I had thought you'd had this working. Sorry to see it's still unresolved, but I'll be we can get that working well for you very quickly.
    I thought it was working too, but when I made sales with these links they did not report the SID. When I manually place the SID within the URL, it does report, when it is placed at the end, it does not.

The WM-Field tag simply copies data from the specified field into wherever that tag is on the page. If used in an index page it will by default write that data as a link to the corresponding detail page, but you can turn that off with the nolink attribute:

[WM-Field: SID nolink]

So if your feed contains valid SIDs and the rest of the URL is correct, it should be as simple as putting the tag I just wrote above into the URL in your template wherever you would put the SID yourself if you were doing it manually.
    The datafeeds in CJ do not come with any SIDs. I generate the SID in Open Office Calc and create a column of them. The SID has to be placed within the URL in a specific place.

If this brief explanation doesn't resolve this, please post the relevant portions of your template and the generated output so we can see what's going on there. Thanks -
    This is the URL I am working with:
    http//www.kqzyfjcom/click-PublisherID-10766206?SID-WORKS-HEREurl=http%3A//wwwMerchantURLcom/transfer/224510/product/p/1190570/11886/?CMP=AFL-AffLSGen&att=LSGenAffl?SID-DOES-NOT-WORK-HERE

I do not understand how I will be able to insert the SID Field into a URL at a specific position as above. I don't know if it is possible using the Webmerge language.

Thank You so much, this is driving me crazy!
    Tami

Affiliate Manager
    Are the strings "SID-WORKS-HERE" and "SID-DOES-NOT-WORK-HERE" part of the actual URL in the feed?
    Richard Gaskin

Are the strings "SID-WORKS-HERE" and "SID-DOES-NOT-WORK-HERE" part of the actual URL in the feed?
    No, I just wanted to show where the SID when inserted into the feed worked and did not work.

Good News! My clever husband has figured out how to insert the SID in Open Office!

It seems to be working. So all is well.

Thank you for all your help!

Tami

23. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread