PPC Dying Everywhere ... Your Thoughts?
    Having just checked my PPC listings on MSN Live ... whoa I am going broke.

I only owe them FORTY SIX CENTS for the whole month of May. Now we are talking about 100 keywords with the average charge to me of TWENTY CENTS.

On the 12 keywords for the SUPPOSEDLY most searched items ... my links got shown a whole 256 times for the month ... and had ZERO clicks.

Now it was a very profitable month ... since I made more than $.46 off of the keyword twilight saga alone and had to pay a whole 26 cents for it.

The question is not does it work, but the scale ... it seems MSN searches are dropping almost as fast as their stock price.

On the other 'garbage' PPC engines ... the traffic is down and still garbage but
    at least they get some click thrus. And while most of the clicks are dreck, if you get 100 clicks you can actually make one sale. As long as it's more than $5 for the sale, it's worth it.

Yahoo was a even a bigger joke ... higher costs and the scale for the costs was dreck ... looks like Goofle is now the only game in town.

Guess, I am going to half to learn how to do SEO. But I guess change is good.

ABW Ambassador
    >>PPC Dying Everywhere

Did you forget adwords?
    Their optimization folks out of Boston are the best.

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    MSN has been a non-player for a while now for me.
    This World is Not My Home
    We're gonna go inside, we're gonna go outside, inside and outside. . . And then we're gonna go go go and we're not gonna stop til we get across that goalline! Quotes from the movie Rudy, 1993

Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Merchant Consultant Team
    Their optimization folks out of Boston are the best.
    Have you worked with other folks in diff states?

ABW Ambassador
    The G Boston office contacted me.
    Their work is national.

........keywords with the average charge to me of TWENTY CENTS.

On the 12 keywords for the SUPPOSEDLY most searched items ... my links got shown a whole 256 times for the month ...
    12 most searched for terms? Perhaps there are a lot of bids well above 20 cents then, which would preempt yours from being displayed?
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Quote Originally Posted by net4biz

I only owe them FORTY SIX CENTS for the whole month of May. Now we are talking about 100 keywords with the average charge to me of TWENTY CENTS.

On the 12 keywords for the SUPPOSEDLY most searched items ... my links got shown a whole 256 times for the month ... and had ZERO clicks.

Now it was a very profitable month ... since I made more than $.46 off of the keyword twilight saga alone and had to pay a whole 26 cents for it.

The question is not does it work, but the scale ... it seems MSN searches are dropping almost as fast as their stock price.

On the other 'garbage' PPC engines ... the traffic is down and still garbage but
    at least they get some click thrus. And while most of the clicks are dreck, if you get 100 clicks you can actually make one sale. As long as it's more than $5 for the sale, it's worth it.

Yahoo was a even a bigger joke ... higher costs and the scale for the costs was dreck ... looks like Goofle is now the only game in town.

What's your average position, and how often when you search for the terms do you see your ad? You're obviously doing it wrong.

I've had nothing but solid results from Google, Yahoo, and MSN traffic for a number of years, and I'm getting more traffic than ever now. You might as well just give up if you can't figure out how to properly have your ads show up, optimize ads, and scale to higher volumes.

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davidh
    12 most searched for terms? Perhaps there are a lot of bids well above 20 cents then, which would preempt yours from being displayed?
    My first thought!

I had a click thru from Adsense this morning on my home page that paid almost $7.00 to my account.

Just imagine how much that keyword must be going for ..

I haven't used any PPC for almost two years now and should probably look into it again, as I am feeling the recession.

Google has always been the way to go if you need traffic.

Good Luck!

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

Sad truth: MSN is a waste of time .
    Your Ad Here.

I have had no problem with Google Adwords ... they just cost more so the profit can be less or you can lose if you do not get a sale or you do not pay attention.

Well let's see my postions averaged at number 5 for a couple of the non-event key words
    and 12 for the others ... I boosted them so they will all be in the top 8 ... so we shall see if that helps.

Why is ALWAYS, I must be doing something wrong? I know how the game works. I can get a ton of traffic ... not a problem ... but I am not in the charity business, so if it ain't
    making a profit what good is it.

I made a ton of money off Yahoo traffic for the Twilight Saga ... but then everyone bid up the cost so that it is not profitable. Let's see Yahoo paid me $126,000 last year ... so I wouldn't say I am a newbie.

But I hate paying Google for anything ... however, looks like I will have to bite the bullet.

As the old guy Claude Hopkins pointed out ... you got to test and test and test again.
    Change happens.

Maybe with Microsoft's new Bing search engine they'll be able to take some market share back from Google.
    Your Ad Here.

Speaking of BING ... I just got an email from the MSN Bingers ... Took a Tour. Whoa pretty pictures and a the rest is all a bunch of technical drivel. They don't even tell you how to submit your site ... and for sure I am not paying them anything PPC for the dreck
    design ... who can find anything?

I wonder if it ever occurred to anyone at MSN to talk to someone on the street about what they want ... looks like all the pretty bells and whistles will mean more wasted money for Steve and Bill.

Thumbs down
    Let's see Yahoo paid me $126,000 last year ... so I wouldn't say I am a newbie.

Looking for some Epeen >?

tsk tsk

u dont happen to be one of them guys who takes pictures with checks and posts em on a blog eh?
    OpA! Giasou Ti kanies!

MSN is crap, Google is where the traffic is

SEO: A Specialty - Web Design: Slow or outsourced andbeyond's Avatar
    The Call is coming from Inside the House!
    PPC is Google. In most countries it is 70 to 90% of the traffic and has some of the best traffic.

Also the tools and interface are good. The new interface is a little slow. Use Adwords Editor.

PPC is not dead and I had another great conversion month in May. Mostly from PPC.

Google is for me!
    I do well on Google adwords, it seems to have more freedom and works better. David

IT could be the niche your in has no traffic on msn?

I've found MSN and Yahoo to provide a higher roi verus adwords, but roi is not profit.

You are probably right ... MSN has NO traffic to speak of ... niche or no niche.

Yeah I know ROI is not profit ... I was only born a week ago and fell off the turnip truck yesterday. But what good is a high ROI, if it does not make a PROFIT.

Actually, what may turn into goldmine city is posting classified ads on ebay for $10/month.
    300 million potential viewers ... is doable for ebooks, software downloads and lead generation and since I just found the WORLD'S BEST EBOOK ever ... things may be looking up.

And know it was not written by some dork guru ... but by the highest paid marketing consultant in the world with a 30 track record.

Wink
    since I just found the WORLD'S BEST EBOOK ever ...
    You must be talking about SeymourButts Ebook eh ?
    OpA! Giasou Ti kanies!

20. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread