ABW Ambassador
    As far as I understood, this tracking software uses an accelerator to download content and pics from the merchant to the cache of the visitor. I understood that this content does not have any relation between the affiliate, customer and merchant because it is directly done by managing the http and tcp traffic between the customer and the merchant. And as far as I understood this works like a browser add on.

"Netflame is a Fireclick service based on the company's Blueflame technology. Blueflame and Netflame use what Fireclick calls "next most likely click" caching technology to improve performance. This technology analyzes user patterns when they come to a Web site.

Once a pattern is determined, the software takes advantage of periods when less data is being transferred (for example, when a user is viewing a page) to send elements such as text or image files of the next most-likely-to-click-on page down to the user's browser cache. If the user clicks on that link, many of the page elements are already stored in the user's cache, so there is no wait for the elements to be downloaded. To a user, it seems as though they have a faster link because pages come up in a shorter period of time.

Most of these new acceleration products run on a server and do not require any change to the client. However, WebFlight from wwWhoosh requires an end user to download a small piece of software."

"At least one network manger was wary of this approach.

"In public Web applications, I'm not sure if I would want an approach that requires the user to download something, even a plug-in," says David O'Neill, network administrator at Franklin Pharmaceutical, a specialty drug manufacturer. "But if it is for internal users and the performance improvement is significant, I'd have less hesitation to at least consider the approach."

carneol

sounds like local proxy with brains.. not too threatening if they don't modify anything on the pages they precache.

of course if they do end up inserting their own affiliate codes then yeah a threat.

it's not like this type of software hasn't been tried before..

2005 Linkshare Golden Link Award Winner  ecomcity's Avatar
    Can't finf the spam forum any longer so here's one for you domain slueths to check into. Might even be a plish site run by the DMA/IAB???

They immediately change the site layout after this story broke as it di look like a official TFC cloned page.

'Do Not E-Mail' Site a Scam, U.S. Officials Say
    Thu February 12, 2004 05:52 PM ET

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Consumers should not submit their e-mail addresses to a Web site that promises to reduce unwanted "spam" because it is fraudulent, the U.S. Federal Trade Commission said on Thursday.
    Though the Web site found at (http://www.unsub.us) promises to reduce unsolicited commercial e-mail, those who sign up could end up receiving more spam than ever or even fall victim to identity theft, the FTC said.

The Web site uses the same color scheme and design elements as one maintained by the FTC to sign up consumers for the national "do not call" registry, which reduces unwanted telemarketing calls.

The FTC has been ordered by Congress to examine whether a similar "do not spam" list would be feasible, but the agency hasn't yet reached a conclusion and does not operate a "do not spam" Web site.

The unsub.us Web site is not affiliated with the government and consumers should not submit their e-mail addresses to the site, the FTC said in a news release.

"The best way to avoid scams like this one is to keep your personal information to yourself -- including your e-mail address -- unless you know who you're dealing with," the FTC said.

No contact information was listed on the Web site, and registration information pointed to Network Solutions Inc. (NSOL.O: Quote, Profile, Research) , a domain-name seller. A Network Solutions official said the Web site owner could not be contacted directly.

FTC officials in the past have warned not to sign up for other "do not spam" sites as they could be a way for spammers to collect more e-mail addresses.

Mike & Charlie ...

If they won't adopt and feed a bird ..flip them one! BBQ some Gator and remember to flush WhenU..

ABW Ambassador
    Networksolutions is well known here in Europe. It is heavily warned to cooperate with them by Officials.

carneol

ABW Ambassador
    On topic mike.

carneol, software like this already exists and ignoring any affiliate fallout, it just sucks because it slams sites, go to one page, it will pull every linked page. Our firewall bans more people because of this crap than probably anything.

You can notice these people because they will be using an inordinate amount connections.

Chet

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks Chet. One of my merchants started to use it and since that time no sales for them are coming in.

carneol

ABW Ambassador
    It is a client based thing, not a merchant, so unless the merchant was clicking on the links on your page to make the sales at his own store, it should have no effect on you.

ABW Ambassador
    I think that this is also merchant based thing because the preload content and links to the customers cache, and when the customer clicks on that preloaded content the links are not coming from their won site and the cookie is set for them. I believe that they are their own affiliate and they overwrite my cookies with their owns. That is why cj.com does not see that.

carneol

ABW Ambassador
    Chet,
    when I surf to the merchants website they set 2 cookies and they establish a javascript in my temporary internet files as well as a command file xxxx.com with a netflame component in it. I looked into that fil under dos-prompt and found a cookie routine. The program itself produces a system fault when I executed that. So it seems that it is both: the client side and the merchant side but actively prodced by the merchant. I do not know anything how this could be avoided, and cj.com does respond that everything is ok when I sent them a mail on that issue.

carneol

10. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread