First Steps
    It would be encouraging to hear from some seasoned pros about how you got started and what worked for you. If there is one thing you would not do if starting over what would it be? And, what is one thing you'd tell someone getting started to do to ramp up success?

http and a telephoto
    First, this should be a thread of it's own, so I split it out.

Second, several such threads do exist already, will try to find and link to them.

Third, what works for one person doesn't work for others, so your first steps will be different from mine that will be different from anyone else's.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

Quote Originally Posted by loxly
    First, this should be a thread of it's own, so I split it out.
    Great.

Second, several such threads do exist already, will try to find and link to them.
    That would be nice. I'm sure those new to the industry would benefit.

Third, what works for one person doesn't work for others, so your first steps will be different from mine that will be different from anyone else's.
    Yup...I'm sure . It's always beneficial to listen to what others have to share. I learn somethig everytime, even when they are very different. Thank you for the input.

Ditto to what Lox said - But I'd add that you should start searching here and search now. Don't wait for her to gather it up for you. That question has been asked and answered so many times and the information is already here (I know that and I have not been around that long). Part of you becoming a great affiliate is your ability to search and discover information on your own rather than having it spoon fed to you.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

http and a telephoto
    BTW, what worked for me when I started, won't work now NYFalcon and I did a podcast on this very subject that I haven't posted yet.

The most important thing I did to jumpstart my affiliate sites? Search around here, talked to people here and paid attention to what I read. You can't "ramp up success".

Sorry, lol. Maybe this should have stayed part of the Magic Bullet thread. If you had read that thread there are many posts talking about exactly what you are asking.
    Deborah Carney

I started with a 2 page personal site back in 1997.
    My "site" was mainly a story; part of my text was picked up by search engines and people started to e-mail me with questions about buying a certain item.
    I thought: "Gee, if I could promote X, I'd make money " -- but I didn't know how I would go about promoting X.
    In 1998 I joined Commission Junction & Linkshare -- I finally figured out how to promote X

Am I a "seasoned pro?" Well, I think I am seasoned *Lol* I've made sales but I am not a "Super Affiliate."

My advice is to start a site based on one of your interests and branch out from there.
    Definitely join CJ, LS, and Shareasale.
    Try to make your site "user friendly."
    Good Luck
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Choose to work in an area that you have general interest in. You will spend a lot of time on your site(s) so it is much easier if you have a general interest in what you are doing.

Build a good site for the long term and keep improving it. You could try to play the ppc game where you chase the latest fad, but then you will be one of the idiots making fake blogs and scamming people into auto-renew free trials.
    [URL=http://www.investeverymonth.com]InvestEveryMonth.com[/URL] - Build Wealth

Quote Originally Posted by OICUAM2
    Choose to work in an area that you have general interest in. You will spend a lot of time on your site(s) so it is much easier if you have a general interest in what you are doing.

Build a good site for the long term and keep improving it. You could try to play the ppc game where you chase the latest fad, but then you will be one of the idiots making fake blogs and scamming people into auto-renew free trials.
    that is correct, by reducing the area of interest you can list out what you really want and try to focus on the interest you have choosen

Thanks
    thanks for the input. I send folks here all the time and I think reading what others have done (though perhaps not on point for them directly) helps give encouragement and new ideas. Thanks again to all.

No problem. Good luck and don't be a stranger.
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

Started with three pages that some students put together for the school at which I worked - back in 1997. Worked on building it up and it was recognized as an "exemplary" school site by the Schools section of the Discover Channel in April of 1998. Prompted me to do more on my own and I eventually launched my first "commercial" community site in May of 1999. Ten years and counting.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Affiliate Manager
    This is a good question to keep asking because things change and new people come to this forum with new info/experiences to share.

Quote Originally Posted by SlowCooker
    This is a good question to keep asking because things change and new people come to this forum with new info/experiences to share.
    Good point and its good Loxly pulled it out, it would not surprise me to see regular hits as people look for ideas and direction.

Bill great post and the specificity was very helpful.

http and a telephoto
    Here's how a couple of us got started:
    http://forum.abestweb.com/showthread.php?t=120290
    Deborah Carney

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread