Smile NEWBIE needs H E L P!
    Hi.

I am new to affiliate programs and just opened an affiliiate program through Shareasale.com.

I have a question. My SEO person told me I need to get more back links to my site.

Are the links affiliates put on their website considered a back link to my site?

Your feedback and thoughts about this is most appreciated.

Thanks, Anna

The answer to your question is no.

The "SEO Person" should not be telling his boss to get more backlinks to his employer's site. Doing the legwork of getting backlinks is an "SEO Person's" job.
    CUSTOM BANNERS by GRAPHICS CANDY ~ Banner Sets and Website Graphics ~ Professional design, reasonable rates
    DESIGNER DOG CHECKS ~ We double-dog dare ya to write one!

Why do you need a SEO person anyway, to me thats a waste of money After my first web-site

REMOVED 3 LINK DROPS >> Ban Warning
    Last edited by Merchant Consultant Team; June 2nd, 2009 at 09:41 AM.

Aquaflow, is dropping links on forums part of your SEO strategy? I'm guessing it is since it really wasn't necessary to post links to get your point across. That type of behavior is not acceptable here. I'm sure your links will be removed by a mod. You may want to take a look at the rules on posting before posting again.

And welcome to ABW.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

While getting more backlinks may be the SEO person'r job, it is correct for them to let you know about the importance of backlinks. If you are as you said a newbie then getting a handle on what makes for a good and profitable site is part of what you are paying them for.
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com/afpr.html"><font color="#FF0000">Buzzy Multimedia Publishing Affiliate Program</font></a>--<a href="http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=13023"><font color="#FF0000">SAS Sign-Up</font></a>
    7-15% Commision, 180 Cookies, Bonuses
    <a href="http://www.buzzymultimedia.com">Earn Buzzy Bucks Promoting Sci-Fi & Fantasy Audio Books and Wicked Cool T-Shirts</a>

ABW Ambassador
    backlinks are the least of your worries. You need to make your site affiliate friendly

Thanks for the feedback and comments. I believe my site is affiliate friendly. Could probably use some feedback on that topic, too. We have specific products and affiliate links can be made directly to the product pages.

I still don't understand why davidh said "no." BTW, I don't pay anyone to do SEO. I have a friend who does SEO and he told me to get more backlinks. My business is new and I do all the work myself and have a programmer help with the things I can't do.

I was told all the links coming into my site are considered backlinks. If an affiliate has a link coming into my site, why isn't it a backlink? Are the links backlinks for Shareasale.com's site?

I appreciate this conversation. I joined this site in part to learn and network with experienced people.

Thank you, Anna

ABW Ambassador
    davidh was refering to the affiliate links counting as backlinks, the answer is no

"Are the links affiliates put on their website considered a back link to my site?"

davidh "no"

Yes, I understand the answer is no. Is it a backlink for Shareasale? What is the link called? An affiliate link? It links to my site, and sends traffic to my site, so why isn't it considered a back link? Thanks.

ABW Ambassador
    the affiliate link goes through the Shareasale server, so it isn't a back link to your site

if someone writes a blog about your products, and links to your site for further information, then that is a back link to your site.

affiliate links are not back links

Got it! That confirms my thoughts. Thank you.

Anna,
    kind of a neat product- good luck.

ABW Ambassador Stephanie Lichtenstein's Avatar
    ValueRays welcome to ABW and to Affiliate Marketing. You picked a great network to partner with. Good luck!
    @MicroSteph | Stephanie Lichtenstein
    President of Micro Media Marketing
    Outsourced Social Media Management
    Get Connected: LinkedIn | Twitter | Facebook | AIM: AffiliateLady | Skype: StephanieLichtenstein

14. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread