Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Datafeed assistance -
    Anyone show me an example of a datafeed?

I just don't get it.

I have used the search function and read a lot of posts, heard how good they are, but have no freaking clue what they are.

Any help?

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

ABW Ambassador
    A datafeed is just a file containing all the products that a merchant has. The raw data is used to populate a webpage. There are different ways to do this, that is where the programming comes in.

so a datafeed might contain 1000 records, each one of those records would go on 1 page (or however you wanted to display the data), and that would showcase 1 product, with price, picture, description etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Julian
    A datafeed is just a file containing all the products that a merchant has. The raw data is used to populate a webpage. There are different ways to do this, that is where the programming comes in.

so a datafeed might contain 1000 records, each one of those records would go on 1 page (or however you wanted to display the data), and that would showcase 1 product, with price, picture, description etc.
    In other words, it is a page that is automatically updated on my site that tells me when new products are available.

Close?

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by RemodelingGuy
    In other words, it is a page that is automatically updated on my site that tells me when new products are available.

Close?
    Not really.

Datafeed is the raw data in tabular form and lots of it. You take the raw data, and do what you want to do with it. Build pages, populate a database which later can be queried, or just populate a database and then build dynamic/static pages from it.

Think of it like grocery you buy at a store. Its food but you can't eat it yet. You have to prepare it to eat it. What you make out of it upto you.

Quote Originally Posted by sam_park
    Not really.

Datafeed is the raw data in tabular form and lots of it. You take the raw data, and do what you want to do with it. Build pages, populate a database which later can be queried, or just populate a database and then build dynamic/static pages from it.

Think of it like grocery you buy at a store. Its food but you can't eat it yet. You have to prepare it to eat it. What you make out of it upto you.
    Does my site have to be data base driven to utilize this?

ABW Ambassador
    Just imagine an online store, like Sears, they have products.

A datafeed is a huge file (certainly for Sears) that contains over 100,000 products. All the information is included in that file, a text file.

The affiliate has access to this file, they could then use that data to build an online store, either dynamic (accesses a database, products are updated dynamically) or static (where the pages are created and then don't change until you update them later.

You could write a book on how to use datafeeds. There are so many ways you can use the data

The simple way for the non-programmer to use datafeeds is to use a service like GoldenCAN or a few others.... they take the feed that is uploaded to them (usually daily) and they turn it into interfaces that you can drop onto your page (simple html) so people can search to find what they are looking for... It finds things in the file like recent price drops, discounts, etc... and showcases them.

The nice part of doing it yourself is you can use the data to make it look, feel and work however however you want.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by RemodelingGuy
    Does my site have to be data base driven to utilize this?
    If you want to make full use of datafeed, you will need to use a database to store it.

Affiliate Manager
    A datafeed is just a product list. Some networks provide tools for using the data from feeds to build web pages, you can build them dynamically using PHP and MySQL, you can use services like Golden Can or PopShops to build product presentations from feeds, or you can build your own web pages from them using a tool like WebMerge.
    Richard Gaskin
    Developer of WebMerge: Publish any data feed on any site
    http://www.fourthworld.com

Thanks All ......

That makes more sense to me....

ACTUALLY, when I saw it, I thought it would be a tool to deliver multiple ads that would auto-update or something.

Do the database pages ever seem to get indexed ?

I know that the ones I create could be if I had some type of content on each page to match the featured products.

Sounds like work to me and I have so much to do with my affiliate program right now, creating even more pages ranks up there with pulling teeth. -

Do you need to use a database? No. Not at all. It is an advanced topic.

But if you master it.. Oh Oh Oh. The places you can go!
    ---
    This response was masterly crafted via the fingers of Patrick Allmond who believe you should StopDoingNothing starting today.
    ---
    Focus Consulting is where I roll | Follow @patrickallmond on Twitter
    Search Engine Marketing | Search Engine Optimization | Social Media | Online Video

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread