Affiliate Manager
    First Click Gets Credit?
    Hey everyone;

I was wondering what everyone's opinion was regarding first click getting the commission compared to last click getting the commission. Now I understand that last click getting the commission is the industry standard. But let me add another variable to the equation. What if 70% of your sales occurred within 24 hours of the first click? It would seem to me in this instance that first click should get the commission because customers aren't forgetting about your product and coming back 3 weeks later through another affiliate's link.

I guess this brings up coupon sites. They can be great, but doesn't it seem like a coupon site is just putting in say 10% of the work while the first click affiliate is pulling 90% in this instance?

Thoughts?

15 years and counting
    This subject has been discussed to death on ABW. There's a reason why last click is the industry standard. It works.
    Sure, it's not perfect but to pay affiliates on first click would be much worse. In no time you'll have sites stuffing cookies everywhere. The parasites can replace their tools easily.
    The game in Affiliate Marketing is to close a sale not just to send a visitor. To transform a visitor in a buyer is the hard part. 10% or 90% work don't mean too much. It's black or white. Either you have a sale or you don't.

Affiliate Manager
    Cookie stuffing didn't even cross my mind. I apologize if this is a redundant question. I did search the forum before making the post. Regardless, thank you for your thoughtful answer.

15 years and counting
    I know you searched ABW. I did, it too but I can't find the threads. Maybe somebody will remember a discussion and post the links.

http and a telephoto
    We had a pretty heated discussion about it at one time in the now closed CafePress section here when I was the affiliate manager. People wanted first click or a window of time where a second click wouldn't count or countless other modifications. Bottom line was that last click is still the most fair.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

6. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread