How do you balance the Many Hats You Wear?
    If it's one thing I've learned about being an affiliate marketer it's that you need to be efficient with your time, especially when you are the web developer, marketer, SEO, PPC, and the copywriter. Don't get me wrong I enjoy learning and doing all of these tasks, but being able to make a schedule to make sure these tasks get done has not been so easy. I want to know if there is anyone out there that could share how they are able to structure and balance a good schedule. Without using outsourcing, that currently is not an option with me.

Thanks to all of you for your help.

I, too, would love to hear some responses to this thread. Frankly, I'm totally prone to dither around over the tons of things I need to do -- while failing to accomplish much most days because I don't just dive in there and "just do it," as the old Nike cliche goes.

Hope we get some useful responses to your thread. Wish I had something useful to ad! LOL!
    Generate more fake news.

My main advice is to not do stuff you cant track. If you cant track it odds are it is a waste of your time which you could be doing something thats productive.

I don't do ppc and I outsource 95% of my writing which leaves me to do more marketing and looking at the competition while finding new niches for more sites.

http://www.yourseoplan.com/download-worksheets.html has worksheets and I like the task journal. I also document everything I do that works.
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

Affiliate Manager
    That depends --

Are you having trouble keeping up with all the projects that you need to work on? If so, make a "to do list" and designate certain days of the week to work on certain types of projects or designate a week to work on bigger projects.

Do you feel like you are spending a lot of time but not accomplishing anything? If so, I would treat yourself like a client and prepare a billing worksheet for the amount of time you spend. On the worksheet, keep up with what you do and how much time you spend doing it. At the end of the day, you will be able to look back and see what you accomplished. You might be accomplishing more than you think.

Yes, it's hard to prioritize when you're juggling so many balls! One idea is to focus only on 1-2 tasks per day (or even devote a week). I find that the more I multitask, the less I accomplish. It's really impossible to not multitask, but I find that when I focus and allocate X hours to only one thing, I gain momentum and do more.

Hmmm, I need to follow my advice more!

P.S. NYFalcon: great resource, thanx mucho!
    Renée
    Pay no attention to that woman behind the curtain. -Wizardress of Oz

-Check your stats at the end of the day...and only once.
    -Reply to emails all at once at the end of your day, unless you need to be in "contact mode"
    -Check your stats at the end of the day or only a few times a week.
    -Stay away from forums, blogs, and other social networking sites if you're serious about getting work done. Those I consider "play time" and while I love them, being here ABW and out there in "the mix" it's better to shut those windows/tabs.
    -IM is great, but use it in "contact mode" otherwise leave it off or in busy/invisible mode

Set tasks to get done on a daily and weekly schedule. Write them down, put them in your phone, ical, google calender, set alarms and reminders. When they go off, time is up move on to the next task.

Remember that there are never enough hours in the day to do it all.
    If you go at it hard for a week or month, don't forget your health. You WILL BURN OUT. Take time to recharge with family, friends, sports, music, or whatever it is that makes you feel good besides working for yourself.

Eat right and take time to exercise. You will feel better and more focused.

There is so much more, books worth, but I'm heading out to spend time with some friends over beer or two right now and I have a 12 mile bike ride in the morning

Then back to riding the chair for 10 hours.
    Oregon Publishing: Web Development, Graphic Design, Domains & Marketing
    Deluxe Banners Bartender's Guide Cooking Jobs

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    I'm with you, Writerguy - looking forward to any good advice and wish I had some to offer - LOL

It's hard to prioritize when you have to do so many things every day. And it's way too easy to get distracted by all the froo froo fun stuff out there. I consider ABW part of my work day and haven't even been able to get in here for days ... way too busy doing site stuff that has to be done. Updating dead product links, switching out bad-performing merchants and adding new content are a few priorities I make time for. Your priorities might be different depending on your site, your business plan and your merchant integrity.

Checking stats is a nice little time waster. I agree with Cursal - check onl once a day, at the end of the day. Yeah right ... I check them at least 10 times a day but it's a good plan. ;-)

Plan your work, work your plan - it's still some excellent advice. Can't remember which marketing guru said it ears ago (Zig Ziglar? Napoleon Hill?)

Focus on the pages or areas of your site that are making you money. Make sure they have priority time, then move on to the stuff that isn't as important when you have time.

If anyone is overwhelmed with it all (who isn't?!) start making a list of what you can out source and devote a little time each day to finding someone or some program that can do it for you.

And getting out of the chair, moving around and seeing real people is vital. It gives you something to bring to the table when you do get back to work.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Cursal
    -Check your stats at the end of the day...and only once.
    -Reply to emails all at once at the end of your day, unless you need to be in "contact mode"
    -Check your stats at the end of the day or only a few times a week.
    -Stay away from forums, blogs, and other social networking sites if you're serious about getting work done. Those I consider "play time" and while I love them, being here ABW and out there in "the mix" it's better to shut those windows/tabs.
    -IM is great, but use it in "contact mode" otherwise leave it off or in busy/invisible mode

Set tasks to get done on a daily and weekly schedule. Write them down, put them in your phone, ical, google calender, set alarms and reminders. When they go off, time is up move on to the next task.

Remember that there are never enough hours in the day to do it all.
    If you go at it hard for a week or month, don't forget your health. You WILL BURN OUT. Take time to recharge with family, friends, sports, music, or whatever it is that makes you feel good besides working for yourself.

Eat right and take time to exercise. You will feel better and more focused.

There is so much more, books worth, but I'm heading out to spend time with some friends over beer or two right now and I have a 12 mile bike ride in the morning

Then back to riding the chair for 10 hours.
    Excellent advice. lol on the last part.

My problem is checking stats too often. It's addicting... I don't think once a day is good for me, especially at the end of the day. If something is wrong, like my rankings and SERPs dropped recently, I need to catch it in time to fix the problem. But OK, we'll scale back from 20 times a day to maybe 5. hehe.

I agree also about the exercise and eating part. Just started getting back into this and boy it feels good.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Planning is a good theory, but just that, a theory. It does not work in this business, not when you have an Overstock change networks, then a Mikasa change networks, then a CSN change the code in the Popshop feed requiring a total re-do of all shops with their products. How do you "plan" when this type of thing keeps happening, requiring you to drop all else, to do a major update, time, after time, after time, after......
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    Planning is a good theory, but just that, a theory. It does not work in this business, not when you have an Overstock change networks, then a Mikasa change networks, then a CSN change the code in the Popshop feed requiring a total re-do of all shops with their products. How do you "plan" when this type of thing keeps happening, requiring you to drop all else, to do a major update, time, after time, after time, after......
    I feel your pain, Hound. It seems that's all I've been doing for months. *sigh*
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Thanks for all the great advice
    All your help is appreciated, thanks to nyfalcon for the link I'm already using one of the worksheets to create a plan of attack.

It can be hard to stay focused when there are so many things you have to get done. When I first started out, I tried to do everything myself, and found out quickly what I was good at, and what I wasn't. The things that I wasn't very good at seem to take me the longest time, so I finally decided to outsource those things to people who knew how to do them better. This alone saved me time and money.

I know you said outsourcing wasn't an option, but for me, it really helped my business. After I outsourced tasks that I sucked at, I could focus more on the tasks that I was really good at.

It also doesn't help that I check my stats about 10 times a day, heh.

Quote Originally Posted by ladidah
    Excellent advice. lol on the last part.

My problem is checking stats too often. It's addicting... I don't think once a day is good for me, especially at the end of the day. If something is wrong, like my rankings and SERPs dropped recently, I need to catch it in time to fix the problem. But OK, we'll scale back from 20 times a day to maybe 5. hehe.

I agree also about the exercise and eating part. Just started getting back into this and boy it feels good.
    Stats...it's why it is #1 and #3 That was my problem for a long time.
    Now the plan of attack and the amount of work keeps me to busy to check that often.
    Some weeks a few of the stats categories only get checked a few times in the whole week. Traffic and sales is checked daily of course.

I don't want people to think I'm not available, so I may have been a little hard with the email/IM at the end of the day. That "closed mode" is when I get into deep coding and programing. That takes focus. When I am working with clients I am there within an hour or two with a reply. Crazy busy days it does take longer, but I do let people know what time frame they will get replies and work completed. StephARC, Andy, Kristin (Mad Hatter), Geno all know this from experience working with me.

CONGRATS ladidah on getting back into the healthy swing!! Spring helps and summer is just around the corner. For me, if the weather is nice I have to go outside. I'm in the NW and those 4 months of sun go quick

Planning for the big changes... that just plain sucks. Hopefully merchants that value their AP stop with all the moving and switching. I look over the list of GC merchants @ SAS and pick from those. If they have worked with ARC or Madhatter they get an extra look. Those programs seem to have gotten good advice and followed it. Less hassles long term, but we all have snags and changes do happen so at those times you just have to work longer. Don't bail on your plans, just add hours.ugh? Nah, your doing it for yourself. We all know how to burn the candle at both ends, right?

Then take time to pat yourself on the back with good food and "play time". It does wonders for the spirit and attitude.

Outsourcing and building a team may be in my plans at some point, but not just yet. If you find trust worthy people to work with, keep them happy and they will keep your cost and workload down.

Keep your hat rack nearby, you will find it helpful throughout the day....
    Oregon Publishing: Web Development, Graphic Design, Domains & Marketing
    Deluxe Banners Bartender's Guide Cooking Jobs

I make a list every night before I get off my computer of everything I need to do the next day.

I also use my calendar on my computer and plan out my year, my months, weeks and days ahead. Plus I keep a big calendar on my wall that has everything marked on it also. The calendar is an idea I got from flylady and it has helped me so much.

My life is more complicated by the fact that I don't live the way most people do so I have other types of chores besides my computer work to do. I make sure to put them on my lists also.

katlupe

15. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread