Merchant & ABW Ambassador
    Free XML sitemap creator
    Stumbled upon this tool
    http://www.xml-sitemaps.com

and it's FREE

Hope it helps somebody

Great Sitemap generator. Unfortunately it's limited to 500 pages. For larger sites GSiteCrawler is a free standalone sitemap generator that I think I first learned about here on ABW.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

Yeah, the free ware limits it to 500 pages.
    I tried it and it looks pretty clean.

Th Gsitecrawler looks neat but it is an install.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Ewe
    Yeah, the free ware limits it to 500 pages.
    I tried it and it looks pretty clean..
    I used it prior to discovering datafeeds and it works great.

Th Gsitecrawler looks neat but it is an install.
    Xml-sitemaps.com is perfect for smaller sites and blogs, it works great and it couldn't get any easier to use. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find an on-line tool that would crawl more than 500 pages. Even the xml-sitemaps.com unlimited version ($19.95) is a PHP script that must be installed on your server.

Someone posted about a new Google tool not too long ago, I need to give it a try.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

For larger sites GSiteCrawler is a free standalone sitemap generator that I think I first learned about here on ABW.
    I was bragging on this one a while back but since tired of the lack of support. The author did a good job but I think he got a good position somewhere and abandoned it to one zealot who tries to help people at their Google Group.

I've tried a bunch of free ones and a bought one that I abandoned after a couple of weeks. I think it was around $20 and didn't even bother to try to get a refund.

Now I feel like I'm settled on A1 Sitemap Generator which costs $49. It seems expensive but if I can be done with looking and trying it's worth it. It handled 90,000 product feed site OK.

Stumbled upon this tool
    http://www.xml-sitemaps.com

and it's FREE

Hope it helps somebody
    I use that one for one of my smaller sites. It adds urlist.txt too which is what Y! likes.

Another thing on my todo list is site map. One that can handle lots of pages, WP and regular html pages with datafeed products.

I was going to look into Cusimano scripts? How does that compare to what you all are using?

Thanks for the links

This will definitely help me [I have not yet created one] -- I am still not sure why webmasters need an XML sitemap? I believe the reason is that having an XML sitemap expedites Google's spidering of a web page, is that right?
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    This will definitely help me [I have not yet created one] -- I am still not sure why webmasters need an XML sitemap? I believe the reason is that having an XML sitemap expedites Google's spidering of a web page, is that right?
    For what I've read here(don't remember when and which thread), G crawl web pages no matter you have a sitemap or not.

I'm not sure what's the true use of an XML sitemap either. Some of my sites have sitemaps, some don't have. G crawl and index them regardless.

Quote Originally Posted by mayfly
    I'm not sure what's the true use of an XML sitemap either. Some of my sites have sitemaps, some don't have. G crawl and index them regardless.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one wondering

Previous to Eric's post I was never able to figure out how to create an XML sitemap.
    Google still indexes my sites -- especially Google's image finder! I can't keep any image or picture a secret from Google

Anyway, Thanks for the link Eric
    I don't think any of my sites have reached 500 pages so this ought to wrap everything together.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Without a XML sitemap or a sitemap in general, Search Engines will still crawl your site.

With a XML, it makes it easier and if you go to www.google.com/webmaster, you will be able to point google to the sitemap and they will update the webmaster page with the last crawl date.

Lightbulb
    Google's Webmaster Tools also shows you how many urls your sitemap contained and how many they've actually indexed. However, a site: command in google might show a different result.

I'm experimenting with a generator -- Softplus Gsitecrawler -- seems to do a thorough job but still has a little difficulty including very large subdirectories. Also, I'm not sure this one is being updated, either.

I'm experimenting with a generator -- Softplus Gsitecrawler -- seems to do a thorough job but still has a little difficulty including very large subdirectories. Also, I'm not sure this one is being updated, either.
    That's the one I mentioned earlier in the thread.

From his home page at bottom:
    Big thanks go to webado for helping out in the forum!
    The owner quite showing up in his Google Group leaving weabado fielding questions as best she can. My issues never got addressed. The thing was having trouble with afsrc=1 and I couldn't get it to filter for it. The one I'm using now has no problem.

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread