Need Help with moving from MS Access to MYSQL
    Ok, I Know and use MS Access and ASP Classic. I want/need to either move to MS SQL or MySQL . So I have no idea where to start and wither to go with MS SQL or MySQL to start with. So to start getting a idea on how to get started I will ask the below questions:

1) I currently create my Access file on my workstation including the tables & queuies. Can I do this with SQL ??

2) I currently test my Access files on my Windows XP workstation. Can I do this with SQL??

3) I then copy the Access database to my host when I go live. Can I do this with SQL

4) If I decide I want to add a new field to my database after using it for some time (say middle name), I copy the access file back to my workstation then add the field and then test and then copy it back to my Host. Can I do the with SQL??

I have a lot more question but I will just start with the above for now.

Thank you

ABW Ambassador
    Hi KSE,

Question 1) I currently create my Access file on my workstation including the tables & queuies. Can I do this with SQL ??

You probably could but I wouldn't. Once you create your db tables (through the web admin provided by your db host) you will then embed the SQL queries into your pages and run them server-side (before the page loads).

Question 2) I currently test my Access files on my Windows XP workstation. Can I do this with SQL??

What do you mean by test? If you mean preview the data before you publish it to the world - you could always have a field named "active" or "live" and if the record is not active or live - you just don't display it to the world (but let you see it in your administration page)

Question 3) I then copy the Access database to my host when I go live. Can I do this with SQL

There should be no need to constantly download and upload your database. It is a file that you set up on your server and then input and retrieve data to/from.

4) If I decide I want to add a new field to my database after using it for some time (say middle name), I copy the access file back to my workstation then add the field and then test and then copy it back to my Host. Can I do the with SQL??

The host that hosts the db will have a web interface admin tool that will allow you to add/delete and configure you tables and feilds.

It might seem like a pain but it is really powerful once you get the hang of it.

Dave

Thanks Dave for the feed back, I will have to look at my current host to see what they offer that allows me to work with SQL, I only noticed a option that allow me to connect to an existing database.

What about MS SQL or MY SQL?? Is their a difference??? I find most host offer MY SQL more.

ABW Ambassador
    MySQL is a lite version of MS SQL. I expect the licensing fees are much lower for MySQL (therefor the abundance of MySQL).

It should be fine for your purposes. Your queries will (mostly) work if you decide to change to MS SQL at a later date.

Dave

Thanks again Dave, I did have a look at one of my host and they do have a web interface admin tool so I played around with a old Blog I added some time ago and I was able to have a look and modify records & tables so that is a great start.

Thanks again

Hi Dave can I ask another question? I have a directory script that can use either MS Access or SQL (with ASP) and it contains the following connection lines:

strMyConn = "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Persist Security Info=False; Data Source=" &Server.MapPath("database/database.mdb")&""

'strMyConn ="PROVIDER=SQLOLEDB;DATA SOURCE=your-server;DATABASE=mydirectory;USER ID=mydirectory;PASSWORD=mydirectory;"

So I know the top line is for MS Access so I guessing the second line is for SQL ??? Also what would be my "your-server" in the section SOURCE=your-server;

So if this is a SQL connection string then this is all that needs to changes in my code inorder to switch to SQL?? I know I would have to convert my database. So I would not need to change my code to read, write, modify & delete record???

I also found a tool at bullzip.com that looks like it will convert my ms access database to either MS SQL or My SQL

Thanks again

ABW Ambassador
    I have sent you a PM...

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianDave
    MySQL is a lite version of MS SQL. I expect the licensing fees are much lower for MySQL (therefor the abundance of MySQL).
    MSSql and MySql are two entirely different products. MSSql is a microsoft product. MySql is owned by Sun Microsystems and is distributed free of charge with a GNU GPL licence.

My approach to this problem would be to set up an ODBC link directly from your access data to a server running MySql. You would have to download the windows version of MySql ODBC. Setting up the link is explained here . With this method any input in you Access database is automatically updated on the server

Regards
    Bob

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianDave
    MySQL is not related to MS SQL. MS SQL is microsoft's MYSQL server language. MySQL is a opensource/paid for commercial support plans product that now is owned by Sun.

Well you are learning you can install MySQL on your computer and work with it via your web application language, assuming you have that working on your computer. It is very possible to use mysqldump to then move your final tables and data online.

Initially I recommend working locally and then learn how to work on you data on you host once you have a working system.

ABW Ambassador
    Thanks for setting me straight on the difference between the two...

Thanks again all for you help I have created a .sql file from one of my larger MS Access databases and will upload it to my host maybe tonight (once I figure out how to set it up on my host) and then play around connnecting to My SQL database.

I have decided to go with My SQL for now since 3 of my 4 host support it and if I ever want to switch to PHP it would help with the conversion to PHP

KSE here is what I do...

Install mysql

Get a program called
    Navicat Mysql ( use this to upload your Access DB into MYSQL )

To make pages really easy in classic asp connecting to mysql .. try using
    http://www.hkvstore.com/aspmaker/

~~~~
    I still use ACCESS for alot of the entries / updates .. I use a custom interface I created a while ago for my merchant listings

I do all my changes / updates in access , and just upload the DB into mysql when im done with navicat mysql ..
    OpA! Giasou Ti kanies!

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread