Yet Another Newbie Question - How to recruit affiliates?
    Hello everyone,

I am of course new to both ABW and affiliate marketing and I have just finished reading the fantastic book by Evgenii Prussakov on affiliate marketing. We are beginning a new affiliate marketing and I was hoping to get some feedback on the effectiveness of some of these techniques for recruiting affiliates.

1) Affiliate directories - do they work?
    2) ShareASale featured programs option
    3) Advertising in Revenue magazine
    4) The various advertising options on ABW

Which of these are the most effective?

ABW Ambassador
    2 & 4 work for us.

@ MCT this may be a strange question.. but what type of ROl did you see with the SAS featured program. I have been trying to talk my directory into to carving some money out of the budget for trying it. But it is hard to get them to give in unless I can convince them it is worth it.

They what me to show them that it will not only get affiliates but that those affiliates will become active in a short period of time. I know there is no way to guarantee that.

But did yo get more active affiliates through the promo???

@ MCT. Which featured programs worked the best on ShareASale? I know they have weekly and monthly ads. They also have an option to email the top 1000 affiliates which seems like an intriguing option.

I also have the same question about ABW featured options. They have programs that range from $75 to $5,000. Which programs have you found to be effective?

Thank you for your time!

I believe your #3 is no longer a viable option.

As an affiliate I never peruse affiliate directories. However I do actively participate at ABW. I read email from the forum and I always look at new program announcements. I also read everything I get from ShareASale via email and I follow their blog.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Tax Paying Member
    I ditto to Bill's comments.........Just my humble opinion
    You must climb this mountain. There is no elevator. ---- Don't stick your finger in the liquid nitrogen.
    Carolina China

ABW Ambassador
    onepricetaxes

I would think ROI would depend on the program you are promoting.

Care and feeding of kittens HOW TO might do better than...

How to screw your fellow affiliates out of their commissions by cookie stuffing HOW TO

Just imho

We tend to be product based and coasters are moving well.

How to recruit affiliates?

I will tell you a way that wasn't given as one of the four options.

Treat the affiliates you do have properly and those affiliates will help, by word of mouth and other means, bring you new affiliates.

Many affiliates communicate, in one way or another, with other affiliates. The reputation you develop with the affiliates you already have can play a big role in your chances of getting new affiliates.

Treat your current affiliates, if you have any, with respect. Develop a good reputation.

Build a program that affiliates enjoy working for.

If you build it, they will come.

I work for several programs. Some I enjoy working for and with. Others I do not. The ones I enjoy I would recommend to others. The ones I do not enjoy I would discourage others from joining.

It is a pleasure and honor for me to be affiliated with programs like Football Fanatics and BuyCostumes. They give me the support I need to succeed and the tools I need to be successful, no matter how strange the request I make may sound. There are several other programs I am affiliated with that are like that.

Then... There are programs I am affiliated with that are just the opposite. Those programs, I usually eventually drop and would never recommend another affiliate join them.

Develop a good program. Be there for your affiliates. Treat them right and they will treat you right.

They will also spread the word on what a great program you have and encourage others to join.

Actions speaks louder than words or print. Let the actions of your program speak loud and clear that your program is honest and dedicated to its affiliates and new affiliates will join before you know it.

Thank you for that response! That is absolutely the message I want to get across to any affiliate that joins our program. I want to find a way to let new affiliates know that we won't be another cold, heartless, greedy merchant that looks for every opportunity to stick it to the affiliates. I want to get the message across that through partnership and communication, we can make money for all parties involved. Do you have any ideas on how to get that message across to affiliates that join?

You mentioned Football Fanatics and BuyCostumes. How did they initially show you that they were different than other merchants?

By the way, thank you to everyone for taking the time out to respond!

Active recruiting
    Another suggestion that hasn't been brought up - try actively recruiting affiliates. Find websites (Googling will do) that have content related to your store or visitors that may be interested in your products and start e-mailing away. Depending on what you got you might only get one hit for every 50 e-mails you send, but making money ain't easy.

Quote Originally Posted by onepricetaxes
    ...I want to find a way to let new affiliates know that we won't be another cold, heartless, greedy merchant that looks for every opportunity to stick it to the affiliates. I want to get the message across that through partnership and communication, we can make money for all parties involved. Do you have any ideas on how to get that message across to affiliates that join?

You mentioned Football Fanatics and BuyCostumes. How did they initially show you that they were different than other merchants?
    A good place to start reading on ABW is the Merchant Best Practices Forum . Pay special attention to the Consolidated List of Affiliate Friendly Policies, it'll give you a pretty good idea of what we look for in a program. Beyond that, read as much as you can here on ABW and ask questions when something doesn't make sense or you need more info. To me, the difference between a good program and a great program is the affiliate manager. Stay active, listen to your affiliates and respond to their problems and you'll be well on your way to a great program.

-rematt
    "I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant." - Richard Nixon

We've had pretty good success with #2 and #4 as well, it's a great place to start. Build a solid program, offer competitive compensation, keep the bad players out, respect your partners. You can also search out your competitors, who have affiliate programs, and see who is promoting them. And, last but not least, keep active here.
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

@ Greg. You brought up a point I've been wondering about now that I'm starting an affiliate marketing campaign. How do you find your competitors affiliates? Is there software you can use? I know Geno mentioned in his book Arelis but it seems that was swallowed by another program.

We use Arelis. It's part of Internet Business Promoter but the functionality is still there http://www.ibusinesspromoter.com/lin...nk-builder.htm.

First you need to define your competitors. Then, find out which network they're on. Search for their name, visit the site and see if they have affiliate links to your competitor. If they do, look for contact information. Arelis can find the sites by keyword and look for contact information.

Your low hanging fruit are affiliates who currently promote your competitors, preferably on the same network as your program.

Red face
    @ Greg. So now I have downloaded the demo version of the IBP tool and I feel a little slow. I have identified my competitors and I know which networks they are on.

The missing piece of the puzzle is how Arelis helps. From what I can tell Arelis can find backlinks for websites. So essentially it searches for sites that link to the website you give it. My confusion comes because affiliates that are signed up with merchants would have a link that points to ShareASale...and that link redirects them to the merchants site. Thus it seems Arelis wouldn't find the link because the link doesn't point to the merchant's site.

Am I using the tool incorrectly or am I just being slow?

Outsourced Program Manager
    offer incentives based on performance
    commissions raised 1% after xx amount of sales in a given time frame

offer 1st sale bonus

offer exclusive coupons for the affiliates

Go out and find affiliates via google and other sources.
    Richard
    Affiliate Marketing Manager AMWSO
    Digestinol, Luxe-Design

Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up. Pablo Picasso

Quote Originally Posted by onepricetaxes
    @ Greg. So now I have downloaded the demo version of the IBP tool and I feel a little slow. I have identified my competitors and I know which networks they are on.

The missing piece of the puzzle is how Arelis helps. From what I can tell Arelis can find backlinks for websites. So essentially it searches for sites that link to the website you give it. My confusion comes because affiliates that are signed up with merchants would have a link that points to ShareASale...and that link redirects them to the merchants site. Thus it seems Arelis wouldn't find the link because the link doesn't point to the merchant's site.

Am I using the tool incorrectly or am I just being slow?
    Yes, Arelis was designed to find backlinks but you can use it find affiliates. Just go through the steps and then do a keyword search and search for your competitor. The list it generates is what you work off of, going through the sites looking for potential partners. I can help you on the phone if you need more info, just give me a call my number's in my sig.

I hope this is on-topic...

As an affiliate, I am constantly amazed by the number of programs that don't provide image creatives (ads) at all, or don't provide image creatives that meet the IAB's (Internet Advertising Bureau's) guidelines.

One of the ways (just one) that we run affiliate ads is through our ad manager, as remnant inventory. Without a standard creative size, we can't fill a pre-defined ad slot.

The most important sizes to have are:

728x90
    468x60
    120x600
    160x600
    300x250
    200x200
    180x150
    125x125

To get people to click, these ads should:

* Look professional
    * Be easy to read, even for people who need larger, high contrast text
    * Get to the point immediately
    * List the benefits first
    * Ensure that every frame of the ad can stand alone (You never know at which point the customer will see the ad, or for how long.)
    * Avoid flashing or fast, jerky movements (This gives lots of people migraines. They'll just move on.)
    * Have more than one ad, to address both niche buyers and the general public.

On this last point, for example, if your product is beneficial to soldiers and accountants, have an ad aimed at soldiers and an ad aimed at accountants. That way, a site that concentrates on soldier issues will have a targeted ad to run, and will be more likely to join your program.

I realize that many affiliate programs feel that the creation ads should be the affiliate's responsibility. Certainly, the affiliate will create ads within their appropriate article, blog post or similar content.

However, having something that can just be plugged into an ad manager will make you more money, because you'll increase the number of places that your brand is seen and increase the likelihood of a click-through. Also, you'll attract more affiliates, because they'll be able to see that you care enough to put in some work on your end. And you'll look more professional.

Another I always look at the reversal rates and uptime for a program. Reversal rates above 10%, low funds for more than a few days or being offline for more than an hour are all reasons for me to look elsewhere.

Lastly, when an affiliate manager contacts our company directly, we're rarely interested. We search ShareASale for programs that meet very specific needs, and are uninterested in anything else. Of course, we're just one company, and everyone's different.

I hope this helps!

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread