Get Active - Sick of The Threats
    If you don't "Get Active" we will cut your commission or terminate you. Sometimes I just go and deactivate the merchant and forget them. Never do I go and try harder for someone with that kind of threatening mentality.

We have so many threads already here at ABW on this that there is not a lot more to be said. Adobe is the latest bully offering to cut my commission by 1% if we don't generated a sale by July 1st. How does 1% of zero effect either of us.

I'm getting close to a "Threat = Deactivate" policy, and if I go to zero merchants then so be it. Dealing with these people is making me more crazy than I already am.

My next nutty rant is going to be on tiered commissions. The other day a merchant announced their new program here at ABW offering "Up to 8%". Went to sign up only to find out that you start with 5%. I hadn't seen in a quick read the "Up to" and thinking it was an error on one side reported it to support. Support said they had made the same mistake.

Grandma broke her coccyx! Uncle Rico's Avatar
    The "Get Active" is such a BS cliche used by these obtuse wannabe affiliate managers.

Most of the time we are "active", but are at the mercy of Google so how the hell are we suppose to remedy that?

Idiots.

Lightbulb
    you should always send a note back to let the merchant know why you are cutting them off.

some AM's still need educating about how to motivate affiliates.

http and a telephoto
    Send them the link to threads here too. I like to send the link to the thread Michael Coley started in the Best Practices section.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

While I disagree with the whole idea, the part that I find particularly idiotic is defining "active" as a sale. So If the affiliate has your links up, is generating clicks, and the merchant isn't converting them, the affiliate is "inactive" and needs some threats to motivate him?

It really is just creating an action item to report to the higher ups who generally do not know how it all works.

ABW Ambassador
    So if an affiliate spends 100 hours building a site dedicated to a niche, and a merchant fits perfectly withing that niche, the affiliate is not considered active until they make a sale?

Active should mean that the affiliate is actually doing something to promote a merchant (within the TOC of course)

Makes sense to me

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    Funny, I was just thinking about this last night when a merchant called to ask about it...there must be a rash of them going on now? Here is my open letter to any merchant with an affiliate program:

Dear Merchant,

There are thousands and thousands of affiliate programs out there, and out of all of those...that one affiliate chose to partner with you. It might've taken you a few days to approve them into your program, and during that time, perhaps you dropped a bit on the affiliate's priority list. But even so, at one point, the affiliate made the active choice to partner with you specifically. That means that they wanted to work with you. Once an affiliate signals interest in your program, it is your job to keep that interest alive.

Merchants ask all the time, "How do I get more affiliates?" That totally contradicts the "Perform, or else" philosophy. You've already got a whole roster of affiliates that have indicated they wanted to work with you. Instead of booting out the inactives, reach out to them. Engage them. Activate them. Ask them what they need. Don't get mad because out of the hundreds of merchants they are partnered with, they haven't gotten around to yours yet.

I understand the concern about maintaining EPC...but booting out affiliates that don't drive traffic has no impact on your EPC. Booting out affiliates that are bringing you a lot of traffic and no conversions? I'd suggest working with them to better qualify the traffic, at least you're getting hits.

The only reason I've ever booted an affiliate from a program is because of fraud, adware or inappropriate material. It's not like affiliates are draining salary resources...

Sincerely,
    Carolyn

Very well stated, Carolyn. Too bad that ALL merchants don't receive your mail.
    Bill / Marketing Blog @ 12PM - Current project: Resurrecting my "baby" at South Baltimore..
    Cute Personal Checks and Business Checks
    If you are too busy to laugh you are too busy.

Affiliate Manager
    I like that response Carolyn. I don't get how anyone can think a threat could be motivating.

Quote Originally Posted by John Powell
    If you don't "Get Active" we will cut your commission or terminate you. Sometimes I just go and deactivate the merchant and forget them. Never do I go and try harder for someone with that kind of threatening mentality.

We have so many threads already here at ABW on this that there is not a lot more to be said. Adobe is the latest bully offering to cut my commission by 1% if we don't generated a sale by July 1st. How does 1% of zero effect either of us.

I'm getting close to a "Threat = Deactivate" policy, and if I go to zero merchants then so be it. Dealing with these people is making me more crazy than I already am.

My next nutty rant is going to be on tiered commissions. The other day a merchant announced their new program here at ABW offering "Up to 8%". Went to sign up only to find out that you start with 5%. I hadn't seen in a quick read the "Up to" and thinking it was an error on one side reported it to support. Support said they had made the same mistake.

LOL thats nuts

I dont think the people who do this understand affiliate marketing at all. They somehow think WE affiliates OWE them something?

Who in the world today can get themself an army of Sales people for FREE? People willing to WORK their ass off WAY before they get paid, realizing that all their effort may come to nothing?

Some of these folks in management need booting out and instead of employing someone who knows nothing about affiliate marketing. They need to start hiring Affiliates for Affiliate Managing positions.

Quote Originally Posted by John Powell

John, please disregard the email I sent you this morning then J/K

This has been discussed many times and I still don't see the benefit to anyone. Maybe tell the merchant you have no hits yet because they failed to do their job and follow up with you after you joined. Then state that it's your policy to drop merchants who fail to follow up, then drop them
    Greg Rice Affiliate Program Management
    www.gocmc.com info(AT)gocmc.com | 330-259-1223

Join us! - MiNeeds.com | DiscountCandleShop/CheeseSupply | Feng Shui Plaza

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg Rice
    ...Then state that it's your policy to drop merchants who fail to follow up, then drop them
    LOL!

13. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread