Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Budgie in the Flock
    Our sweet little yellow budgie died last week despite three weeks of vet care and everything we could do to save her. From the post-mortem exam, it looks like it was just natural causes/old age. We miss her a lot (as does the rest of the flock) and it just doesn't look right without a little splash of yellow sunshine to brighten up the house.

So, today we got this little guy. He needs a name. Any suggestions?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

ABW Ambassador
    the picture isn't showing, or maybe it is just my messed up computer/internet connection, it sucks

Weird. It showed during previews. I edited the first post to add it as an attachment.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.

ABW Ambassador
    How about regal? He looks regal

Quote Originally Posted by Julian
    How about regal? He looks regal
    We already have one that looks even more regal. He's mostly white with a splash of blue on his tummy. He totally reminds me of a mini-falcon. LOL. But that's a good name suggestion. Now, if we had a new beagle... LOL.

This little guy was up in the front of the cage sitting proudly like he was modeling for us. It was love at first sight. LOL. We looked at the other budgies, but we kept coming back to him. After we got him out of the cage and gave him a good once over for any obvious medical issues, we knew he had to come home with us.

I'm trying to figure out possible names

I looked up some names of Greek gods from Greek Mythology but I'm not sure the names would fit.
    I was thinking of Adonis because he had a reputation for being golden.

Do you have a budgie named Billy?
    I once babysat a budgie named Billy when his own went to Florida for the Winter.
    That Billy has passed away
    Billy had a great vocabulary; I once asked my brother who did he think was smarter: me or Billy the bird?
    My brother responded: "Well, you had to ask ..."
    You could name him Billy in honor of the bird I loved.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

My hubby suggested Horus, after the Egyptian god with the bird head. He doesn't look like a Horus to me. LOL.

Some suggestions we've had:

Sonny or Sunny (short for Sunshine)
    Buddy
    Skittles (LOL, my niece suggested that one)
    Sprite (since he's lemon and lime. LOL)

Tweet - works on a couple levels, pays homage to the famous little yellow bird and of course a nod to twitter
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Quote Originally Posted by knight01
    Tweet - works on a couple levels, pays homage to the famous little yellow bird and a of course a nod to twitter
    LOL! That's cute. We had thought about "Squeak" too, since instead of cheeping, he was letting out timid squeaks when we brought him home. Poor little thing was understandably scared to death, but now that he hears other budgies nearby (he's in the quarantine cage for the next month) he's starting to come out of his shell.

All of the above are cute suggestions
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

ABW Ambassador
    Instead of Sprite, how about 7 Up? nice easy name

Quote Originally Posted by Julian
    Instead of Sprite, how about 7 Up? nice easy name
    ... and this is 7up he's the 'un'-bird? (that's an old reference)
    Someday starts today
    Military Discounts

Quote Originally Posted by knight01
    ... and this is 7up he's the 'un'-bird? (that's an old reference)
    LOL. I remember the "un-cola" campaign.

We could name him Seven. LOL. We tend to have two syllable names for our pets. That's pretty funny, because he's actually my 7th budgie (three of which have passed on over the years).

He looks like one that an old friend of mine had for many years named Spunky. That bird had an amazing vocabulary and you'd think that he understood (and meant!) every word he let out.

Yours has very healthy bearing, the way he sits up so tall, he doesn't look scared of anything.

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    I have an empty bird cage from my Cockatiel who I still miss.

She loved me enough to lay eggs at my feet without a male around.

Still haven't replaced her.

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

Quote Originally Posted by RemodelingGuy
    I have an empty bird cage from my Cockatiel who I still miss.

She loved me enough to lay eggs at my feet without a male around.

Still haven't replaced her.
    Aw, I'm sorry, Jimmy. We like to say about our bird that just passed away that she was sunshine with wings. The little critters just wing their way into your heart, don't they?

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Sorry for your loss, and the new guy looks beautiful and smart. I know how fascinating birds, especially parakeets, can be, and how you can become as attached to them as with a dog or cat (or kid). When I was a kid, the only pets I could have in our apartment (except for the occasional goldfish) were parakeets, and years later MrsHound and I had a couple of budgies as well. (We can't now with a house full of dogs and cats).

This reminds me of a bird-naming story from when I was about 6 or so. We had gotten two parakeets, and as our last name begins with a "K", I named the birds Mr. K and Mrs. K. Remember, this was in the 1950s, at the height of the cold war. Well, I had been taking piano lessons at a studio, but then switched to a new teacher who came to the house. She was an animal lover too, and loved our birdies, but when I told her their names, she assumed they were named for the Soviet Premier, Nikita Khrushchev, who the press always referred to as "Mr. K". (I was 6 or 7 and didn't know Nikita Khrushchev from Pinky Lee), and she though we were communists.

It took a while to get that straightened out.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Half a Bubble Off Plumb RemodelingGuy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by meadowmufn
    Aw, I'm sorry, Jimmy. We like to say about our bird that just passed away that she was sunshine with wings. The little critters just wing their way into your heart, don't they?
    Me and my 3 year old grand stinker - who should be in bed - just pulled the cage out of the closet.

I told her about "Pretty Birdy" and I think we will go get a replacement soon.

Beautiful 14 sf / two story cage, -

My 8 year old grand stinker misses PB too and I think this thread will make me go out and start over....

Cockatiels are COOL!

Thanks for sharing.....

Jimmy McDonald - Your Local Hard Working RemodelingGuy ( & SprinklerGuy - & GarageGuy )
    StartRemodeling.com .... MySprinklerGuy.com .... MyGarageGuy.com ....
    We're Bettering YOUR Life by Improving Where YOU Live It ...
    Do What You LOVE & LOVE What You Do! ....

I thought of a name and then saw Knight's suggestion. So along the same lines as Knight's tweet, but mine is:

"retweet"

- to remember your other budgie, what was his/her name?
    - birds remind me of twitter nowadays.

Another name that you had referenced in your first post is

"sunshine"

Quote Originally Posted by AffiliateHound
    Sorry for your loss, and the new guy looks beautiful and smart. I know how fascinating birds, especially parakeets, can be, and how you can become as attached to them as with a dog or cat (or kid). When I was a kid, the only pets I could have in our apartment (except for the occasional goldfish) were parakeets, and years later MrsHound and I had a couple of budgies as well. (We can't now with a house full of dogs and cats).

This reminds me of a bird-naming story from when I was about 6 or so. We had gotten two parakeets, and as our last name begins with a "K", I named the birds Mr. K and Mrs. K. Remember, this was in the 1950s, at the height of the cold war. Well, I had been taking piano lessons at a studio, but then switched to a new teacher who came to the house. She was an animal lover too, and loved our birdies, but when I told her their names, she assumed they were named for the Soviet Premier, Nikita Khrushchev, who the press always referred to as "Mr. K". (I was 6 or 7 and didn't know Nikita Khrushchev from Pinky Lee), and she though we were communists.

It took a while to get that straightened out.
    That's too funny. Did she slap her forehead when she finally realized your last name started with "K"? LOL.

I had never heard the term Budgie before this. My wife has though. Is it just another word for parakeet? Looked up on wiki but am not clear still.

Beautiful bird whatever it's called!

Quote Originally Posted by RemodelingGuy
    Me and my 3 year old grand stinker - who should be in bed - just pulled the cage out of the closet.

I told her about "Pretty Birdy" and I think we will go get a replacement soon.

Beautiful 14 sf / two story cage, -

My 8 year old grand stinker misses PB too and I think this thread will make me go out and start over....

Cockatiels are COOL!

Thanks for sharing.....
    We almost got a cockatiel as our first bird. We lived in an apartment when we first got married and couldn't have a dog or cat. There was a sweet paired Cockatiel couple at the bird shop we went to. The male could say a few words and doted on his companion. But we couldn't afford both and didn't want to split them up. I had had a few budgies when I was younger, so we got a pair of budgies instead... and we've just added to the flock since.

Super Dawg Member Phil Kaufman aka AffiliateHound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by John Powell
    I had never heard the term Budgie before this. My wife has though. Is it just another word for parakeet? Looked up on wiki but am not clear still.

Budgie is short for Budgerigar and its the "real" name of the parakeet.
    Since June 10, 2012 a vegan aarf but still writing the Hound Dawg Sports Blog
    "If you don't have time to do it right, when will you have time to do it over?" -John Wooden;
    "Raj, there’s no place for truth on the internet." -Howard Wolowitz[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by John Powell

Basically, a budgie is a grass parakeet. Budgie is short for budgerigar, what the bird is called in its native Australia. It's apparently the aboriginal word for "good to eat".

This particular budgie is a "rare" parakeet, called that because it's coloring isn't common. We currently have a dominant pied (our second youngest), recessive pied (our oldest, the one that just passed was recessive pied too), regular old blue budgie, and I think this latest is a cinnamon. Budgie mutations and genetics is an interesting topic. LOL.

By the way, when we were shopping around for our first budgies, near one of the pet stores we visited, apparently a number of budgies had escaped and had built quite a large community in nearby trees. Looked like they were doing quite well. It was quite amazing to see a flock of budgies flying in formation. LOL.

I have noticed a number of zoos across the country, including the Point Defiance Zoo near Seattle and a zoo near Milwaukee, have been opening up "budgie encounter" type exhibits where you can go in and feed and interact with the budgies. We're going to check out the Budgie Buddies exhibit at PDZ in a few weeks. If you get a chance, go! We experienced something similar at the Lorikeet Landing exhibit in San Diego. It's great if you're a bird lover and the kids will love it.

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast