Pay to "subscribe" for Premium Tweets?
    I can understand Horoscope subscriptions and Lotto results maybe but really how much of a market is this really? Will the 1.7 who follow Brittney spears pay $1 a mo for a tweet?

Twitpub.com and superchirp.com are two examples of this new marketing thrust.

What's your thoughts?

I actually think a good model would be the ability to block your list of followers - I'm sick of friends asking me why so and so is asking them to add him/her ... GAFL!
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

http and a telephoto
    I don't see paying for tweets as a viable concept.
    Deborah Carney
    TeamLoxly.com BookGoodies.com ABCsPlus.com

OMG??? Pay to receive tweets?

It truly must be the "last days" the prophets have warned us about.

I'd pay for $5 bubble gum before I'd pay a penny for any tweets.
    Generate more fake news.

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    What if those tweets carried exclusive deals or advance news of product availability?

I'm thinking about this because of all the folks who drove around Chicago this past weekend going from store to store to try and get the new Palm Pre. If Palm had tweeted inventory info to a select group of subscribers, I am pretty sure one of my friends would have gladly paid to get access to that info.

If this works, I'm going to charge all my friends and family a monthly subscription to talk to me.
    -Don't criticize anyone til you've walked a mile in their shoes. Then when you do criticize them, you'll be a mile away and have their shoes.
    - Silence is golden. Duct Tape is silver.

ABW Ambassador
    When I wish to TALK to my friends and family, I pick up the phone.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolyn - ShareASale
    What if those tweets carried exclusive deals or advance news of product availability?

I'm thinking about this because of all the folks who drove around Chicago this past weekend going from store to store to try and get the new Palm Pre. If Palm had tweeted inventory info to a select group of subscribers, I am pretty sure one of my friends would have gladly paid to get access to that info.
    Probably just my "old curmudgeon" nature kicking in here, BUT -- If I were an affiliate for a merchant who said I could only learn about specific deals or advanced product availability, I'd find another merchant.

The longer I've been using Twitter, the more irritating it's gotten. I'm about to run screaming from the whole stupid site. I know, I know -- if I'm getting a lot of MLM garbage, worthless "feel good" quotes, etc., instead of value, I probably should "un-follow" a bunch of people.

But even then, it's a major time waster and I would totally dump merchants who depended on my membership in Twitter to get significant affiliate deals, product availability, info, etc.

Amazingly, there is still a "REAL WORLD" out there and a huge Internet apart from Twitter.
    Generate more fake news.

Affiliate Manager
    I would never pay for tweets.

What if someone RTs a tweet from a subscription? If this starts becoming popular, then I want to sign up for every $1 subscription there is and then RT them. Anyone want to sign up for my tweets? I'll give you a discount!! Maybe $.75 per month.

Affiliate Manager Matt McWilliams's Avatar

That is actually a pretty cool idea. I don't know if the entire paid model would work in any way, shape, or form for Twitter, but paying to know that info would be awesome, rather by Twitter or something else.
    Matt McWilliams
    Call Me At: (317) 825-8826 | Follow Me On Twitter: @MattMcWilliams2 | Connect With Me On LinkedIn

If Palm had tweeted inventory info to a select group of subscribers, I am pretty sure one of my friends would have gladly paid to get access to that info.
    If Palm charged for info on where to buy their phone it would be corporate suicide. Maybe a tech site but then again ... it should be free ... they are spending anyway ... I know it's an example but I just don't see paying for tweets on products.

Another example could be -- Pay for discount Discount codes? that makes even less sense, it devalues the discount.
    Continued Success,

Haiko

I think there is DEFINITELY a market for this. Don't think about it in terms of consumers... either of products or of people.... but rather of professional newshounds, bloggers, etc.

Wouldn't be surprised at all if this turned out to be viable.
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin
    I think there is DEFINITELY a market for this. Don't think about it in terms of consumers... either of products or of people.... but rather of professional newshounds, bloggers, etc.

Wouldn't be surprised at all if this turned out to be viable.
    If you remove general advertising/marketing and target a very niche group there appears to be something to that. The mention of News grabs my attention and make me think a little deeper.....

Although, there is the question while twitter is free how great is/will the security be?

and then

I'm also wondering when Google will throw enough money at Evan Williams to acquire twitter?
    Oregon Publishing: Web Development, Graphic Design, Domains & Marketing
    Deluxe Banners Bartender's Guide Cooking Jobs

Domain Addict / Formerly known as elbowcreek Thomas A. Rice's Avatar
    A news source might be able to generate income from something like this. Heck, think of the indirect campaign funds generated if Obama had charged for tweets during the campaign... Hmmm, expiring domain notices, etc... might work.
    Following everyone else is a GREAT way to become average.

Why wouldn't people use traditional SMS marketing - no 140 limit and many more options/benefits
    Continued Success,

Haiko

Network Rep & ABW Ambassador Carolyn - ShareASale's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Haiko de Poel, Jr.
    Why wouldn't people use traditional SMS marketing - no 140 limit and many more options/benefits
    too intrusive? I think it could work if the retailer were to follow the "frequent buyer" model, i.e, extra perks for the VIP shopper. Not really thinking about how it might be applied to affiliate marketing...

I can see some sort of model working. What type I have no idea
    Vinny O'Hare - OPM - Contact Info email: vinny at teamloxly.com ~ 702-582-6742 Twitter

My comment came as I was thinking about the success of HARO. That's the application I can see in the Twitter market.

@Carolyn and Haiko: I can see a retailer setting up an exclusive Twitter account to cater to VIPs, but not charging for it. But maybe BJ's, Sam's Club or that DirectBuy furniture store could pull that off. That already charge you for the privilege of entering their stores
    Kevin Webster
    twitter: levelanalytics

Kayak Fishing
    Web Analytics and Affiliate Marketing

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin
    maybe BJ's, Sam's Club or that DirectBuy furniture store could pull that off. That already charge you for the privilege of entering their stores
    Ahhh you got it ... it's a privilege to get in the club ... there is value in that I can't see a separate higher value via twitter subscriptions that would be a STAND ALONE product sold as a pure power twitter app.

Add ons, yeah sure ... but stand alone products via paid twitter subscription I don't see it. The other alternatives, RSS, text, email etc are just so much more robust a delivery mechanism and add to the value prop technologically.

Think consumer side ... they already pay why would they pay to get alerted and the next Q ... why wouldn't they complain about having to pay for it.
    Continued Success,

Haiko

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread