Question Are CJ Deactivation Notices Bogus?
    I receive 4 to 5 CJ deactivation notices daily, for the past couple of months. Each time it's followed by a reactivation notice and sometimes by the Merchant explaining that there was an "accounting issue" at CJ.

This is unacceptable. As an affiliate I have no idea when a deactivation is real or not or if CJ screwed up as usual. I can't believe a big -company like CJ hasn't figured out a fix for this issue.

I currently disregard these bogus emails, because it's a hassle to remove links and then have to replace them hours later.

so my question is:
    Do other affiliates receive these deactivation notices and are a majority of them bogus.

Cool
    I don't start really reacting until several days have passed.

I get a deactivation notice and then the next day I get a re-activation notice. I've stopped paying attention to the notices.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    I get a deactivation notice and then the next day I get a re-activation notice. I've stopped paying attention to the notices.
    It's ridiculous isn't it? If I was a merchant, I would be angry.

Quote Originally Posted by bibby
    One time I actually pulled links -- I don't do that anymore unless I notice that the merchant is permanently offline.

The deactivation e-mails are annoying and I put the merchant in question in "stalemate mode" -- if I was going to do something to promote that merchant I promote someone else first.

The deactivation mails are useless & annoying.
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

Quote Originally Posted by Rhia7
    One time I actually pulled links -- I don't do that anymore unless I notice that the merchant is permanently offline.

The deactivation e-mails are annoying and I put the merchant in question in "stalemate mode" -- if I was going to do something to promote that merchant I promote someone else first.

The deactivation mails are useless & annoying.
    In most cases you can't pull links from a deactivated merchant. the other annoying thing is when CJ deactivates a merchant, then you all links from that merchant are inactive.

In most cases you can't pull links from a deactivated merchant.
    I mean if I have a web page with a "deactivated merchant" -- I can erase/substitute other links on my page
    I use "pull" for "pull off my page"
    ~Rhia7 -- Remember the 7
    Twitter me

My assumption is that it is similar to shareasales temporarily offline stuff. I think it is usually because of non-payment and when the merchant pays, they are put back online. Most come back, some do not though. I wish cj would give us more definitive information about the exact reasons. If a merchant has terminated their program, we need to know that. If they are behind on a payment, we need to know that.

This lack of information is not just a problem with cj, I see it with the other big networks too.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    The bounce between deactivated and reactivated is maddening - If I get a deactivated notice, even if the program is reactivated the same day, I still look at the merchant funny - If the deactivation notices are in fact Bogus, that's not at all cool. Kinda suspect they're not *bogus* - more that a merchant dropped the ball then came back with a payment to reactivate. If these notices are mistakes on CJ's part, that's just absolutely not OK.

For clarity and to be fair, this doesn't seem like a CJ problem but a merchant problem. CJ's policy is to deactivate a merchant whose payment is not timely, just like SAS - while it is annoying to us and can make us crazy, I'd rather know that a merchant isn't 100% on their game and not promote those that deactivate regularly. And I'd much rather know than not.

I suspect the reason we're seeing so many deactivate and reactivate notices is because merchants are panicking in the wake of the *bad economy* crap and wait a little too long to add funds to keep their programs online. It's stupid and the last thing a merchant should do is kill their sales force but most people assume the worse before looking at the cold, hard numbers and realizing that without their sales force, they will no longer have a business.

Same mentality as those merchants (on and off line) who get upset when a sales person (or affiliate) start making *too much* money via commission. Hello! If we're making a SMALL % of the sale, they're getting the lion's share. As impossible as it seems, here are lots of people who think that way. They don't stay in business very long.

And any merchant who goes offline more than once is committing program suicide. No respectable affiliate will take them seriously. It's a good practice to check a merchant's *up time history* (on SAS anyway) to see how they maintain their program. A dead link on MY site means the merchant is hurting MY business and that's absolutely unacceptable to me.

Would be nice to be able to see how many time merchants in other networks go off line. Is this in any other network reports other than SAS?
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

Well here's a typical email that I receive from a merchant after reactivation. If it were only 1 merchant, I would give CJ the benefit of the doubt but I've received dozens of these emails:
    Dear Anthony, As a xxxx affiliate you may have seen an email from CJ alerting you that GoGamer was no longer an Advertiser with CJ and that our account was deactivated. This is not true. Due to an accounting error we were temporarily down, but we are now back up and it's business as usual. Nothing has changed. We have been a sucessful CJ advertiser for 7 years and we will continue to offer great deals to gamers in the years to come. If you took down any links for us, we encourage you to put them back up. We are working on ways to improve our website in the coming months and we invite all our affiliates to keep running our promotions . We value our Publishers and appreciate your promoting xxxx throughout the years. We could not have stayed in business without you! Sincerely, Jason Williams General Manager xxxx

I have to disagree, If you are running PPC ads, these notices are extremely important. Even the on/off ones are important as thats money wasted.
    Last edited by ToughTurkey; June 9th, 2009 at 09:47 AM.

Grounded Soles is expired right now and there are a lot of people paying Google for ads for them right now.

I receive 4 to 5 CJ deactivation notices daily, for the past couple of months. Each time it's followed by a reactivation notice and sometimes by the Merchant explaining that there was an "accounting issue" at CJ.
    You probably made a "sale" that day. When you are "deactivated" they don't have to pay you for it!

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by CathyM
    My assumption is that it is similar to shareasales temporarily offline stuff. I think it is usually because of non-payment and when the merchant pays, they are put back online. Most come back, some do not though. I wish cj would give us more definitive information about the exact reasons. If a merchant has terminated their program, we need to know that. If they are behind on a payment, we need to know that.

This lack of information is not just a problem with cj, I see it with the other big networks too.
    Yes it's appalling that CJ still can't provide a proper method for affiliates to know what's going on, typical of their lazy designers....

It really is a stupid system and it seems SAS and CJ both find this a good thing, it's beyond me how these people think. Why can't they add a penalty etc if they go off line to deter them?

I make a note in my database so if a merchant goes offline twice then I may not put their links back up and if I do it will be weeks later, 3 times and I never have anything to do with them again.

As for the notices, I send them all straight to my trash bin with a filter in thunderbird. I will check them once a week on CJ and will take down links for merchants deactivated for more than 5 days.

I have to disagree, If you are running PPC ads, these notices are extremely important. Even the on/off ones are important as thats money wasted.
    they could provide an option to turn these notices off or on.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

The merchant should be embarrassed. As some have speculated, this is a merchant issue, not a CJ issue. CJ requires merchants to maintain a "credit" balance to cover pending commissions. If the balance drops below the minimum and the merchant doesn't deposit additional funds, they deactivate the merchant until the account is funded. This is why you receive the deactivation/reactivation notices so close together.
    [B]Jeff DeBo[/B] | Sr. Marketing Manager - Affiliate
    [URL=http://www.connectcommerce.com/secure/partner_app_alt.html?ccmid=K217424]ProFlowers[/URL] | [URL=http://www.connectcommerce.com/secure/partner_app_alt.html?ccmid=K302833]Personal Creations[/URL] | [URL=http://www.connectcommerce.com/secure/partner_app_alt.html?ccmid=K21765]RedEnvelope[/URL] | [URL=http://www.connectcommerce.com/secure/partner_app_alt.html?ccmid=K220460]Cherry Moon Farms[/URL] | [URL=http://www.connectcommerce.com/secure/partner_app_alt.html?ccmid=K220455]Shari's Berries[/URL]

P: (858) 909-4203 | E: jdebo(at)providecommerce(dot)com

ABW Ambassador
    It's definitely a merchant issue not a CJ issue.

I've been seeing one of my merchant being deactivated and reactivated just about every month. Finally I got tired of it and kicked it out of my merchant list.

I don't know what are these merchants thinking. They are killing their business!

Some go off / on quickly like Hobbytron, others go off and never back on like Fitfuel at the moment. No notice from them or anything, just in limbo.

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by mayfly
    It's definitely a merchant issue not a CJ issue.
    I totally disagree, yes it is the merchants fault to a high degree but CJ are providing the network between merchants and affiliates which means they are responsible for co-ordinating business between the two but there is a serious flaw in this system. I don't see all these merchants going offline in GAN, Avantlink and Linkshare like we see in CJ and SAS so there is something wrong there.
    Hosting Discounts from Professional Rates Hosts - Deals and Coupons on Domain Names from GoDadday, Namecheap, Domain.com and more top registers.

Life is Supposed to be Fun! Rexanne's Avatar
    I think it's about time the networks start charging a "reactivation" fee for merchants who go offline - it's a minor price to pay for so much inconvenience caused by them not being on top of their program. And a 3 strikes law where if they go offline 3 times, they're booted out of the network. I doubt this will happen as the networks are being paid a monthly to harbor these foolish merchants.

It would really be sweet to make merchant pay US each time one of the links on our sites to theirs shows up in the "inactive links" lists, too.
    Peace,

Rexanne

Rexanne.com
    Loving Everyone's Child Creates Magic

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by glinted
    I don't see all these merchants going offline in GAN, Avantlink and Linkshare like we see in CJ and SAS so there is something wrong there.
    How do you know? Some might go offline and back before you even notice it...Or other networks might just give the low fund merchants some kind of grace period before they add more funds.

It's CJ's policy that requires merchants to maintain a minimum account balance. If you(merchants) run an affiliate program on CJ, you'd better make sure your account balance don't drop below the line.

I agree with others that CJ could handle this type of "deactivate-reactivate" game a better way, but letting the program offline is definitely a merchant issue not a CJ issue.

I don't see all these merchants going offline in GAN, Avantlink and Linkshare like we see in CJ and SAS so there is something wrong there.
    I don't have experience with Avantlink but GAN and Linkshare don't put merchants offline and because of that their merchants sometimes go months before the network realizes that they are never going to pay. That is not good for us. A recent example is FAO Schwartz. They were deactivated in CJ on March 12. GAN did not deactivate until June. I don't know how many months they were behind in their payments to GAN but I am guessing it was a few. I have seen large name brand merchants in Linkshare go as much as 5 months without payment. At least with Linkshare, we have reports that show us merchants that are behind in payments and we can then make our own decisions as to how to proceed.

ABW Ambassador
    does anyone know whethere there is a similar "system' on CJ like SAS rss feeds where you get notified of a merchants going offline/online?

ABW Ambassador
    Quote Originally Posted by KGP
    does anyone know whethere there is a similar "system' on CJ like SAS rss feeds where you get notified of a merchants going offline/online?
    Not sure about Cj but Avantlink have RSS feeds for Invalid Affiliate Links etc

i don't take notice until i stop getting paid and that has not happened yet - i say bogus

Lots of good points here. It's just fustrating to receive so many of these notices and then the merchant sends an email saying it was an accounting error. oversite or issue. Who's accounting error and why? It would be nice if CJ told us.

26. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread