ABW Ambassador
    Winterpeg, the Mosquito Capital of Canada
    For some odd reason I just put a url request for listing on one of my sites

Not in any way hiding the fact it is an affiliate site, it was actually listed. Noticed a couple referrals from dmoz today

Unbelievable. Never thought it would be listed

WW

Make a difference! Support your local Cancer Care providers.

[fixed title]

[This message was edited by Haiko on February 11, 2004 at 09:21 PM.]

I, too was amazed to have a content site, covered in banners and peppered with sales links, accepted...

They must have liked the content.

ABW Ambassador
    Not that this may have had anything to do with it BUT root editor keating is rumored to be OUT.

First I've heard about Bob if that's the case.

I don't know why people are so harsh about the editor-in-chief. If every editor did as much as he, there'd be over a billion sites listed.

Maybe I should remind people of this poll

________
    "All your commission are belong to us." - Slimeware Corporation

I've got a content site with adsense and 0 affiliate links and have been trying to get into DMOZ since October.. how long did it take to get accepted?

Anything from a few minutes to a few years depending on the activity in that category, however the majority of sites are reviewed within a month or two.

If it's longer than that, then it will tend to be very much longer. Some shopping categories are hugely backlogged.

You can request a status check at the ODP Public Forum, although the response you'll get is generally limited to telling you if it's still waiting, it's been accepted or rejected.

Note that the possibility of getting an affiliate site in is very close to zero, but it doesn't stop affiliates from clogging up the submission queues to "give it a go". You can imagine what things like the Credit Card categories look like as a result.

________

If you had a site that was entirely content-based and got into dzoz, if you added a number of shopping links after the approval would they give you the heave ho?
    I'm not suggesting anything devious, I'm just curious.

Latest Survey Results show that 85% of snowblowers are sold to lonely snowmen...

ABW Ambassador
    I dont suspect dmoz would do much if you added a few links
    They can't keep up with submissions as is, and I suspect maintenance of sites to keep verified would even be worse

WW

ABW Ambassador
    glad to see someone also fixed my dzoz typo I did LOL

WW

Drove me crazy ... sorry

<font size="2" face="Verdana">Haiko

The secret of success is constancy of purpose. ~ Disraeli
    </font></p>

Understand that editors are human and they all interpret the guidlines differently, but what is meant to happen is that editors should "dis-count" the affiliate links (and by implication any ad spin that goes with them) and judge the site on the remaining content.

Pretending sales hype is content doesn't work so well. Copying content from elsewhere tends to not be a good idea either. Don't forget that generally speaking the editor who reviews your site is also pretty familiar with the subject and most similar sites.

Now.. although sites are seldom re-reviewed, they *will* be at some point, either by a visiting editor or the listed category editor. If you've done what's called a "bait and switch" of turning a content site into an affiliate site, then the ODP will regard that as one of the worst things you can do, and will tend to hunt down and remove *all* your listed sites.. permanently.

Here's something that you might not realise.. most of the editing at the ODP is done by quite a small number of editors, probably somewhere in the 500 mark. These editors are *very* experienced and can sniff out an affiliate site at a hundred paces. Sometimes.. rarely.. they get through, but usually they're rejected in the submission queue, no matter how clever you think you've been.

To be honest, it's best not to overstuff your content site with affiliate links, both from an ODP perspective and the clearly observable fact that it tends not to create much revenue (I guess AdSense is the exception). If you're feeling really brave.. why not create a content site with no affiliate links at all, and just use it to link to your affiliate sites to give 'em a PageRank boost. That can work pretty well..

________

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
    If you're feeling really brave.. why not create a content site with no affiliate links at all, and just use it to link to your affiliate sites to give 'em a PageRank boost. That can work pretty well..
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was the plan, but still not in DMOZ. And yes it is a real content site.. not just verbose sales spin.

http and a telephoto
    WW you are just having a really good week

Deborah Carney
    Link up!
    Submit your sites, if you fit the criteria
    http://coolcraftsites.com/directory
    http://coolpetsites.com/petlinks

Yes Dynamoo, that's what I was thinking. I have some ideas for some content sites, and I had thought about the linkup with the affiliate idea.

Although I am still writing pages for the affiliate idea, I've got a few plans to do some content sites for the fun of it. They're on the back burner right now while I try to concentrate on creating something to make some $$. I noticed that Haiko hasn't changed my spelling error earlier though

Latest Survey Results show that 85% of snowblowers are sold to lonely snowmen...

Resident Genius and Staunch Capitalist Leader's Avatar
    <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> (I guess AdSense is the exception) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I wish they gave per-site stats. It would be nice to know for sure!

~Cheapskate merchants need not apply

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Seedy Bee:
    If you had a site that was entirely content-based and got into dzoz, if you added a number of shopping links after the approval would they give you the heave ho?
    I'm not suggesting anything devious, I'm just curious. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
    That just happened to us. We had been listed there for a long time. They recently removed us because we added a few partners products on our site .. wham .. removed. Oh well.

Ray Thomas
    DesignerWiz.com CEO
    Development Resource & Javascript Public Archive Center
    http://DesignerWiz.com
    ABW Board: Category: Programming / Coding

Just a quick word Leader.
    Even though I am considering writing up a few "c*ntent sites", they are mostly for ideas or themes that I just think will be informative and interesting. I don't think they are viable for making $$. I think your idea of having primarily sales sites is the way to go.

Just wanted to avoid "the wrath of Leader."

More Cheesier Than Ever Cheesehead's Avatar
    I just got in with my site savingseverywhere.com (except for me since I haven't made a dime on it yet!). I just resubmitted last week after 2 months. Must be a change in the guard.

Always Keep The Legs Moving!

19. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread