The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    FedEx uses the postal service to deliver its packages?
    So I order something online for my niece and I wanted to know when will it arrive. I click and see this:
    Date/Time Activity Location Details
    Jun 11, 2009 9:20 AM In transit WAYNE, NJ Tendered to USPS for delivery
    Jun 11, 2009 1:42 AM Departed FedEx location EDISON, NJ
    Jun 11, 2009 12:00 AM Package data transmitted to USPS WAYNE, NJ
    Jun 10, 2009 1:12 PM Arrived at FedEx location EDISON, NJ
    Jun 5, 2009 11:42 PM Departed FedEx location BROOKLYN PARK, MN
    Jun 5, 2009 10:06 PM Arrived at FedEx location BROOKLYN PARK, MN

It traveled all the way from MN to NJ and then it was tendered to the US Postal Service for delievery??? Isn't that like coke cans filled with pepsi?
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

this happens with all three overnight carriers,
    in some cases they don't have coverage in the area the package is going to,
    It could be because it's rural, security concerns, area balancing between carriers, local laws or regulations..
    It does not make sense for FedEx, UPS and USPS to each offer 100% coverage of the whole US.
    With USPS I've seen deliveries farmed out to local companies in extreem rural areas for much more than the local delivery piece.
    I've seen express packags sent with USPS passed to companies you've never heard of.
    With each of the carriers not having covereage in some areas they may also trade off some areas to help ballance the cash flow or out of service equipment.
    In FedEx's case the overnight and ground business are handled by seperate drivers, seperate companies & in some cases the drivers even own thier own trucks for ground.
    Based on the timeframe shown: this was sent by ground (the least expensive service & reason for all the carriers to look to save at every turn).

It's nothing new.

It's called Coopetition it's a genious business decision
    Continued Success,

Haiko
    The secret of success is constancy of purpose ~ Disraeli

Affiliate Manager
    I have sent stuff to China through the USPS and they used Fed Exp. Took the same amount of time but was A LOT cheaper. USPS tracking is not as good but for the money that was ok.

USPS used to do the same thing with DHL, where USPS did last-mile delivery for certain DHL shipping options. USPS has had a partnership with FedEx for a while - FedEx has a large contract to carry US Mail on its cargo planes, and part of that deal also places FedEx drop off boxes at post office facilities. Odd, but I'm guessing the business behind it is pretty solid.

Affiliate Manager Heather@Stacks's Avatar
    Yes, FedEx will just get it to the nearest post office and hand it off for final delivery. I've used this method in the past, as it's easy on the budget...but in my case found that too many packages "disappeared" from front porches. Decided to pay a bit more and make sure customers got their goods.

The affiliate formerly known as ojmoo
    Heather, are you saying its cheaper to ship through fedex and have the USPS drop it off on the final stage than to ship it by the USPS leaving fedex out of it? How can that possible make any sense or cents?
    Expert who says Moo

a.k.a. OJMOO

Cow Dance

USPS is always cheaper although they're closing the gap. To prevent packages from being left on porches you just add a Signature Confirmation service.

Affiliate Manager FriendlyPlanetTravel's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 2busy
    USPS is always cheaper although they're closing the gap. To prevent packages from being left on porches you just add a Signature Confirmation service.
    Rarely do I find the post office cheaper, especially when you add insurance coverage (which fedex includes up to $100) except for rural deliveries sometimes and of course to non-continental USA. (talking about shipping boxes - especially larger ones)
    Clifford Mark
    Director of Marketing - [URL=http://www.friendlyplanettravel.com]Friendly Planet Travel Inc[/URL] | [email=cliff@friendlyplanet.com]email me[/email]
    [URL=http://www.shareasale.com/shareasale.cfm?merchantID=18510]Join The FriendlyPlanetTravel.com Affiliate Program Now![/URL]

except for rural deliveries sometimes and of course to non-continental USA.
    I guess it would depend on where you ship from and to, and whether or not you use a commercial account for shipping. Commercial based pricing is lower and offers a lower cost third-party insurer. Be sure to compare the appropriate service level when comparing costs. USPS Priority =2ndDayAir, USPS ParcelPost=Ground Shipping. If you compare Priority to Ground for pricing you're not really comparing equal services.

Affiliate Manager Heather@Stacks's Avatar
    Oranges...no, just saying it's cheaper than FedEx all the way through.

12. Newsletter Signup

+ Reply to Thread